JL JOURNAL : LoD JL Destroyer Shorty Front Bumper & WARN Zeon 10s Install

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While our original plan was to install a WARN Zeon 10s onto our factory front Rubicon Steel Bumper, we got talking to our friends over at LoD Offroad and decided to change our plans and test out one of their all new, JL Destroyer Shorty front bumpers. Fortunately, it comes with a built in winch plate, a winch protector hoop with auxiliary light mounting tabs and ports to allow for the mounting factory fog lights. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see what it took to get both installed on JET Li, our Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. We hope you enjoy.

LED Fog Light UPDATE
Please note that we have since found that factory LED fog lights that come in the standard plastic front bumper bolt right up to the LoD JL Destroyer Shorty Front Bumper and without any issues. We have also been told by LoD that they now offer an optional bracket you can buy that will allow you to install LED fog lights that come installed on a Rubicon steel front bumper like what we had. Below is a diagram that illustrates this.

Fog-Light-Trim-Diagram.jpg

:cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good! Another great video! Seems odd to me that a bumper designed for the JL wouldn’t be designed to allow the factory LED fog lights to fit.

The JL and a lot of parts for it are so new. I talked to LoD and their Sport didn't come with LED lights so they just didn't know. I am told they are working on a new mount for them. For me, it wasn't a big deal after all. The older style fogs worked and I put LED bulbs in them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, Thanks

Glad you liked it :)

How do the led bulbs look?

LOL!! To be honest, I haven't tried the out yet but if they're anything like what we had on our Renegade, they look good looking at them and they cast about as much light as the stock incandescent lights. The Rubicon steel bumper LED fogs were just a lot nicer in terms of what they threw out in front of you. From what I understand, the LED fogs in the standard plastic bumpers are the same as before.

BillArnett

Glad you liked it :)

LOL!! To be honest, I haven't tried the out yet but if they're anything like what we had on our Renegade, they look good looking at them and they cast about as much light as the stock incandescent lights. The Rubicon steel bumper LED fogs were just a lot nicer in terms of what they threw out in front of you. From what I understand, the LED fogs in the standard plastic bumpers are the same as before.

Do you mean if I have the plastic stock bumper and the LED light package that I would be able to use them in the LoD bumper?

JTCO

Meme King
You make installing the line on the drum so easy[emoji23][emoji23]. Maybe it was because the drum was down inside my EVO bumper but I struggled like crazy to get it fed through.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I was thinking the same thing. Eddie made that look so easy. Mine was a PITA. I bought the Zeon shortly after it came out and Warn used to provide a plastic zip tie instead of a metal wire. There's a reason that they no longer do that. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video Eddie. Thank you! I’ll use it this week for my LoD. :thumb:

Awesome, glad to hear our video might be able to help you out :yup:

Looks great Eddie.... sure is fun installing new parts on a new Rig. :thumb:

It's been a while for me and yes, it really is :D

Awesome install video. Looking forward to seeing the new bracket for the factory LED fogs

Well, until then, the standard fogs with LED bulbs seem to be working fine. Also, it is my understanding that the LED fogs in a plastic bumper is the same as the normal ones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You make installing the line on the drum so easy[emoji23][emoji23]. Maybe it was because the drum was down inside my EVO bumper but I struggled like crazy to get it fed through.

I was thinking the same thing. Eddie made that look so easy. Mine was a PITA. I bought the Zeon shortly after it came out and Warn used to provide a plastic zip tie instead of a metal wire. There's a reason that they no longer do that. :D

LOL!! This ain't my first rodeo :D

Do you mean if I have the plastic stock bumper and the LED light package that I would be able to use them in the LoD bumper?

Yes

Taxman

From what I understand, the LED fogs in the standard plastic bumpers are the same as before.

Great write-up and video. I had to read this thread several times to understand it. You're saying that the LED fog lamp fixtures in the metal bumper is different than the LED fog lamp fixtures in the plastic bumper? Why would Jeep do that? I understand maybe the mounting bracket might be different to accomodate for different mounting holes, etc. But to change the entire LED lamp housing just doesn't make sense. I'm scratching my head over this one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great write-up and video. I had to read this thread several times to understand it. You're saying that the LED fog lamp fixtures in the metal bumper is different than the LED fog lamp fixtures in the plastic bumper? Why would Jeep do that? I understand maybe the mounting bracket might be different to accomodate for different mounting holes, etc. But to change the entire LED lamp housing just doesn't make sense. I'm scratching my head over this one.

To be clear, I'm just stating what other people who have the LED fogs in the standard plastic bumper have told me. It very well could be that the lights are exactly the same but the fixture is different for the steel bumper.

Taxman

To be clear, I'm just stating what other people who have the LED fogs in the standard plastic bumper have told me. It very well could be that the lights are exactly the same but the fixture is different for the steel bumper.

Got it. I ordered mine with the LED package but the plastic bumper. If and when I ever get my JL, I'll take photos and report back. However, by then, I'm sure there'll be someone else ahead of me that can do it. Thanks!