JL Trektop VS. Factory soft top

Napalm

Hey guys!

I’ve made the decision to sell my factory hard top and pick up a soft top(I know, shocker) I’ve always ran Trektops on all my JKs, but with my JL I’ve considered going a different direction and going with a factory soft top.

I’ve read a lot of questionable reviews about the Trektop saying that they are still coming with manufacturing defects and issues, but I like the look of them a lot better, and the price is ALOT better than buying a factory soft top.

So, I’m starting this thread asking for opinions, comments, pictures, reviews, problems or issues you’ve had with your JL Trektop or your JL factory soft top. I can’t find just a whole lot on the JL soft tops because a lot of people are still running hard tops, but I figured I’d ask.

So, help me DECIDE! Thank you!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What you've read is all true. If it were me, I would recommend that you just get a factory soft top. If in the future Bestop figures things out, you can always sell what you have.

Napalm

What you've read is all true. If it were me, I would recommend that you just get a factory soft top. If in the future Bestop figures things out, you can always sell what you have.

Thanks for the input Eddie! I’ve been leaning this way just because of the issues but can’t give up the idea of the Trektop just yet because of the looks.

I’ve considered since my JL isn’t my only vehicle just getting a SpiderWebShade and rocking topless for awhile until I can make up my mind. Take the JL on the nice days and when the weather is bad or it’s colder just leave it in the garage and jump in my other car!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input Eddie! I’ve been leaning this way just because of the issues but can’t give up the idea of the Trektop just yet because of the looks.

I’ve considered since my JL isn’t my only vehicle just getting a SpiderWebShade and rocking topless for awhile until I can make up my mind. Take the JL on the nice days and when the weather is bad or it’s colder just leave it in the garage and jump in my other car!

I hear ya. As you know, we've been running TrekTops on Moby and Rubicat forever. I'd go this route on our JL but the issues are holding me back.

Napalm

I hear ya. As you know, we've been running TrekTops on Moby and Rubicat forever. I'd go this route on our JL but the issues are holding me back.

I figured this was was what was holding you guys back. I don’t necessarily want to be a guinea pig for Bestop. That being said I don’t see myself often running the rear windows here in Texas with the nicer weather and it not being my daily, so the issues may not be as apparent as someone that daily drives their JL. I will still need to use the full top on longer road trips to trails and etc.

When running your factory soft top, are you still able to fit Jet in a standard garage with the 37’s? This is the tire size I’m going with and I know the factory soft top is someone between 1-3 inches taller than the hard top, and I don’t want to not be able to fit in my garage.

JeepJL

You know I was On The fence with the trektop. I ended up getting one and after getting a new updated back window and rear window bar I’m really happy and impressed with the updates compared to the JK trektop. I haven’t owned a JL soft top so I can’t compare but it seems like bestop is figuring out solutions to their issues from the first ones. The best thing is I can remove it in about 5 minutes to put the hardtop back on. No more having to remove difficult brackets like the JK. It’s very quiet at highway speeds. The only thing I don’t like is the silver bestop branding on the back top area.

Napalm

You know I was On The fence with the trektop. I ended up getting one and after getting a new updated back window and rear window bar I’m really happy and impressed with the updates compared to the JK trektop. I haven’t owned a JL soft top so I can’t compare but it seems like bestop is figuring out solutions to their issues from the first ones. The best thing is I can remove it in about 5 minutes to put the hardtop back on. No more having to remove difficult brackets like the JK. It’s very quiet at highway speeds. The only thing I don’t like is the silver bestop branding on the back top area.

Thanks for the input.. I wonder when Bestop will start shipping the updated back windows and tailgate bars with the trektops when you buy one? Because if I knew that I’d definitely be open to waiting. I’ve heard that solves all the issues.

JeepJL

Thanks for the input.. I wonder when Bestop will start shipping the updated back windows and tailgate bars with the trektops when you buy one? Because if I knew that I’d definitely be open to waiting. I’ve heard that solves all the issues.

I just called them after I got mine in the spring and complained about the rear tailgate gap and 2 days later there was a new updated window, bar and seal. I was really pleased with their customer service and promptness.

Napalm

I just called them after I got mine in the spring and complained about the rear tailgate gap and 2 days later there was a new updated window, bar and seal. I was really pleased with their customer service and promptness.

I’ve always really had a great experience with Bestop customer service. They are a great company to work with!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve always really had a great experience with Bestop customer service. They are a great company to work with!

I'm not gonna lie, I have a little heart burn with them especially being that they asked to use a video clip of ours for promotional use and said they would help us out in the future with a Trektop. Of course, when it finally came out and I followed up on it, they started acting like I was asking for a handout. After I reminded them of the video and that it was they who offered to help us out as a part of quid pro quo, they offered to give me a slight discount and made me feel like they were doing some kind of favor. It really left a bad taste and I told them to just forget about it. And really, it's a shame because I still like the top and I'm glad that I didn't get one of the early versions of it but as a company, I can't say I'm too fond of them.

Napalm

I'm not gonna lie, I have a little heart burn with them especially being that they asked to use a video clip of ours for promotional use and said they would help us out in the future with a Trektop. Of course, when it finally came out and I followed up on it, they started acting like I was asking for a handout. After I reminded them of the video and that it was they who offered to help us out as a part of quid pro quo, they offered to give me a slight discount and made me feel like they were doing some kind of favor. It really left a bad taste and I told them to just forget about it. And really, it's a shame because I still like the top and I'm glad that I didn't get one of the early versions of it but as a company, I can't say I'm too fond of them.

Oh wow Eddie, that’s crazy and pretty unprofessional of them! That is a shame.

JTCO

Meme King

I remember you telling me about that and I've lost a lot of respect for bestop since that happened. Real ballsuckers, these guys.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Our 2014 JKUR came with dual tops, as did our 2018 JLUR. We pretty much used the soft-top exclusively on the JK while the hardtop gathered dust in the garage. It's just the opposite with the JL. We rarely, if ever, put the soft top on. We either run with the hardtop or run with the sunshade sans doors. I thought about selling the soft-top, but I just love keeping all the extra bits and pieces.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh wow Eddie, that’s crazy and pretty unprofessional of them! That is a shame.

What's a shame is that I used to work with them all the time, I mean, for years and years and going way back when. It's the biggest reason why I was so willing to help them out when they asked for it and for FREE. Somewhere along the line, they got bought out and the marketing team changed. Now, in spite of the the fact that I still know the guys in engineering, I'm just dog shit to the company. But, it's all good. Not like there are better options around.

I remember you telling me about that and I've lost a lot of respect for bestop since that happened. Real ballsuckers, these guys.

It only really sucks because talking to the engineering guys, they all know me and even remember the video clip quid pro quo deal but apparently, they had no real say in the matter and were making promises they couldn't keep.

Our 2014 JKUR came with dual tops, as did our 2018 JLUR. We pretty much used the soft-top exclusively on the JK while the hardtop gathered dust in the garage. It's just the opposite with the JL. We rarely, if ever, put the soft top on. We either run with the hardtop or run with the sunshade sans doors. I thought about selling the soft-top, but I just love keeping all the extra bits and pieces.

It's funny that you'd say as much. Just about every Jeep I've ever owned came with a hard top and I've literally so each and everyone in favor of running a soft top or Trektop on my JK's. I assumed I would be doing as much on my JL but oddly enough, I really like the JL hard top. I actually think it looks way better than any hard top before and better than the factory soft top. I can't even say that I like the JL Trektop as much as the older JK ones. Call me crazy but what I really don't like are the zipperless flaps. Sure, zipper suck but these glide rail things suck more or at least, in my opinion.