JL JOURNAL : Which Would You Want - JL Wrangler Axle Tubes vs Dynatrac ProRock 44

HarleyPap57

The issue with that is that even on the JK rear 44 housing, the housing itself never really had much of a negative issue. The axle flanges can bend on any semi-float rear even chromoly shafts. So I assume from a manufacturing point of view, there really isn't much demand for a rear 44 housing.
Along with that, I would think most Jeepers that are running 40s are really going to see the benefit in stepping up to 1 ton axles as that is the ideal way to do it.

I understand your point but some of us don't need 1 ton axles but need better than stock Sahara axles. When I bought my JL with the trailer towing package I assumed it had M220 axles. Little did I know it had M200 rear axles. I don't really need the 1 ton but may have to go that way since no one is making a Pro Style 44 rear. I do think there is a market for them but until that time I'm between a rock and hard place.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I understand your point but some of us don't need 1 ton axles but need better than stock Sahara axles. When I bought my JL with the trailer towing package I assumed it had M220 axles. Little did I know it had M200 rear axles. I don't really need the 1 ton but may have to go that way since no one is making a Pro Style 44 rear. I do think there is a market for them but until that time I'm between a rock and hard place.

There would really be no need to replace it, until you broke it. Maybe you’ll never break it.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rgk401

Is the m200 a Dana 44? I thought all Jeep jl’s have a d44 in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy:

Great video and informative. Was there any chat off camera about the FAD "Front Axle Disconnect" and possible weakness point?

Actually, we will be posting a video that highlights what the FAD is and how it works by tomorrow. We do not cover it as being a possible weak point but in a following video, we do show how this is where all the breaks we've seen have been located.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing the front axles have little difference between the Sahara and Rubicon I bet the rear axles are close also and those 37" and 40" tires are hard on the rear as well as the front. Really need Dynatrac and Dana to come out with Ultimate 44 or Pro Rock 44 rear axle. Not everyone wants a Pro Rock or Ultimate 60 rear with it's 6 or 8 lug hubs.

eh, not exactly. Even on the JK, the rear Dana 44 was a true 44 in that it came with 3" diameter tubes. With the exception of it being a semi-float axle, it did okay up to 37" tires. Bent shaft flanges was probably the biggest issue with them. And, if you're really bending flanges that much, you really need to be running a full float axle and that would be a 60.

The issue with that is that even on the JK rear 44 housing, the housing itself never really had much of a negative issue. The axle flanges can bend on any semi-float rear even chromoly shafts. So I assume from a manufacturing point of view, there really isn't much demand for a rear 44 housing.
Along with that, I would think most Jeepers that are running 40s are really going to see the benefit in stepping up to 1 ton axles as that is the ideal way to do it.

This ^^^^

Interesting point about the Dana 30 benefit VS Rubicon axles.

Crazy, isn't it? :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

There would really be no need to replace it, until you broke it. Maybe you’ll never break it.

What notnalc68 said ^^^^

Is the m200 a Dana 44? I thought all Jeep jl’s have a d44 in the rear.

Negative. Most JK's have a Dana44 rear. The JL now comes with an M200 on Sport and Saharas and an M220 on the Rubicon. See thread below:
https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...S-Dana-M186-amp-M210-Front-M200-amp-M220-Rear

NFRs2000NYC

:cheesy: Honestly, there's nothing wrong to wheel what you have until it needs to be replaced. That's what we did on Moby and Rubicat. This time around, we are being a little preemptive but only because we'd like to kick things up a notch. :crazyeyes:

So you're just doing this preemptively? From all the wheeling and miles you've done on JetLi until you swapped to a prorock, you didn't have any axle damage or imminent failures?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So you're just doing this preemptively? From all the wheeling and miles you've done on JetLi until you swapped to a prorock, you didn't have any axle damage or imminent failures?

Yup, just being preemptive. We were able to get about 25k miles on Moby's factory front axle before completely trashing the locker for the 2nd time and shafts all in one shot. I'm pretty sure we got about the same or less on Rubicat before we bent her her factory 44 to the point of being unsalvageable. We had 23k miles on Jet's front axle and felt it was just a matter of time before we did something stupid. That being said, no, we did not have any damage that we could detect nor could we find any signs of imminent failures or at least, to the naked eye. Obviously, we had some help getting this PR44JL but part of that included Dynatrac being able to get their hands on our Rubicon front axle for R&D. So, we'll see what they find out.

NFRs2000NYC

Yup, just being preemptive. We were able to get about 25k miles on Moby's factory front axle before completely trashing the locker for the 2nd time and shafts all in one shot. I'm pretty sure we got about the same or less on Rubicat before we bent her her factory 44 to the point of being unsalvageable. We had 23k miles on Jet's front axle and felt it was just a matter of time before we did something stupid. That being said, no, we did not have any damage that we could detect nor could we find any signs of imminent failures or at least, to the naked eye. Obviously, we had some help getting this PR44JL but part of that included Dynatrac being able to get their hands on our Rubicon front axle for R&D. So, we'll see what they find out.

Awesome. Looking forward to their/your findings on the health of the axle, and hopefully you'll chime in at some point with the info, especially if everything was fine. :thumb: