JL JOURNAL : EVO JL Wrangler Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket INSTALL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any time you change the ride height of a Jeep JL Wrangler, the front and rear axles will shift to one side or the other. The reason for this is because they're solid axles that are held in place with a track bar that's mounted on one end and then on the frame rail on the other. However, with a 2.5" lift or less, the shift is minute and really, not enough to matter. Certainly, it won't affect your steering, handling or otherwise. However, when you start getting into the 3"-3.5" of lift or more and if you're running shocks that will allow for big enough articulation, you will start to see some issues and especially so in the rear.

Because your rear axle will shift to the passenger side, your rear drive shaft may start to make contact with your gas tank skid. There are a few ways you can address this issue but one of the cheapest and easiest solutions is to install a rear track bar relocation bracket. By restoring the geometry of the track bar, essentially make it sit flatter again like it did when stock, your axle will return to a more centered position. Also, in addition to helping provide more clearance for your driveshaft, you may also see the added benefit of improved handling as well. For our purposes, we decided to install a track bar relocation bracket made by EVO Manufacturing and in this short video, you'll see just how easy it is to install.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Tools You Will Need
EVO Rear Track Bar Relocation Bracket
• 21, 22mm Sockets
• 9/16, 5/8, 13/16, 7/8" Sockets & Wrenches
• Ratchet
• Torque Wrench
• Hand Drill
• 9/16" Metal Drilling Bit
• Floor Jack
• Cutting Oil
• Touch Up Paint

Optional Tools You May Want
Milwaukee Impact Wrench
https://amzn.to/2Na92J5

I should note that if your JL Wrangler is sitting at 4" of lift or more, an adjustable track bar may be needed as well and with it set purposefully longer to push your axle further to the driver side. An aftermarket driveshaft may also help being that they typically have a narrower diameter tube.

Thanks for watching and we hope that you find our video to be helpful. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So why is this better than a longer or adjustable track bar?

Never said it's "better" per se. That being said, it is more affordable AND it'll correct the geometry of your track bar with a taller lift. This will effectively improve handling in the rear. An adjustable track bar will not be able to do anything other than recenter your axle.

NFRs2000NYC

Never said it's "better" per se. That being said, it is more affordable AND it'll correct the geometry of your track bar with a taller lift. This will effectively improve handling in the rear. An adjustable track bar will not be able to do anything other than recenter your axle.

So it seems the correct fix, money aside, is a relocation bracket AND an adjustable trackbar?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video as usual guys! I bookmarked this for when I upgrade to the 3.5in lift in the future. Also, I never realized how much the rest end shifts when lifted.

In reality, it's not that much. I mean, we were trying to address near 5" of lift and it was only off about an inch. Really, it's no big deal other than the fact that we were having our driveshaft make contact with our gas tank at a flex. Also, I should note that it's not just the rear end that shifts - the front end does too. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to solid axles and track bars.

So it seems the correct fix, money aside, is a relocation bracket AND an adjustable trackbar?

Not sure why. I still run factory track bars front and rear on Moby. :idontknow:

NFRs2000NYC

In reality, it's not that much. I mean, we were trying to address near 5" of lift and it was only off about an inch. Really, it's no big deal other than the fact that we were having our driveshaft make contact with our gas tank at a flex. Also, I should note that it's not just the rear end that shifts - the front end does too. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to solid axles and track bars.

Not sure why. I still run factory track bars front and rear on Moby. :idontknow:

I guess for those OCD that want their axle dead centered at rest? When you load your rig up, does the axle shift in the correct direction (closer to center) or further? Also, are your front and rear axles off by the same amount so at least the front/rear tires are in line with each other?

Like this...

l l
l l

instead of this (obviously exaggerated)...ignore the periods, had to use them so the forum didn't automatically put it back to left.

......l l
.......l l

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess for those OCD that want their axle dead centered at rest? When you load your rig up, does the axle shift in the correct direction (closer to center) or further? Also, are your front and rear axles off by the same amount so at least the front/rear tires are in line with each other?

Like this...

l l
l l

instead of this (obviously exaggerated)...ignore the periods, had to use them so the forum didn't automatically put it back to left.

......l l
.......l l

I hate to drive your OCD insane but.... your axles are NEVER dead center. Gas up and load up your Jeep with passengers and/or gear and your Jeep will squat enough to cause your axles to shift. To the passenger side up front and to the driver side in the rear. Unload your Jeep completely and they will shift again but to the other side. It's just the nature of the beast when it comes to solid axles and a track bar. They only way to get rid of the shift completely is to run a true triangulated 4-link suspension system, a tri-link upper or a watts link.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Thanks for watching and we hope that you find our video to be helpful. :cool:

I had to rewind a few times because I thought I saw a third hand in there somewhere. After three or four views, I'm still not sure if I saw what I think that I saw. I'm a bit freaked out right now. :eek:

Either way, excellent addition to the JL Journal. :thumb:

BillArnett

Ah. That makes sense. Thx.

So it would seem that there should be the same problem with the front axle. Are you planning something there, too? (Of course, it’s more complicated because of the steering...)

13_gecko_rubi

Actually it is better than just an adjustable track bar. Recentering axle is the minor part of the improvement. The major part is getting the roll center back where it was. In an ideal world you'd want to raise both front and rear track bars by the same amount that you lifted the Jeep. That would set your roll centers back to where they were from the factory.

In the rear it's pretty easy to just lift it up to a point. After a certain height you have to worry about hitting things and that's a long lever arm off the axle that can fracture easier.

In the front it's harder to raise the roll center back because you also have to raise the drag link to match. Ie high steer. High steer isn't really a steering mod, it's a mod to raise the track bar to get your roll center back. The secondary effect is you have to also raise the drag link the same amount.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, very easy installation with good results. Just wish EVO had these parts for sale, no body appears to be carrying them yet.

You may want to contact them. I've got one sitting in my garage and I've seen another member with installation pictures as well.

This ^^^^^

EVO is terrible about getting their parts online. Call them and you will be able to get what you're needing. I know multiple people with this bracket. :yup:

I had to rewind a few times because I thought I saw a third hand in there somewhere. After three or four views, I'm still not sure if I saw what I think that I saw. I'm a bit freaked out right now. :eek:

Either way, excellent addition to the JL Journal. :thumb:

:cheesy: Good eye! That was in fact Cindy pushing a bolt that rolled away, back into the frame :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. That makes sense. Thx.

So it would seem that there should be the same problem with the front axle. Are you planning something there, too? (Of course, it’s more complicated because of the steering...)

Yes, the problem exists up front as well but in order to address the track bar, you ALSO NEED to address the drag link as BOTH NEED to remain parallel to each other. Failure to install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip will result in significant bump steer. As of now, there aren't any kits that I've seen and would care to install. Hoping to address this sooner than later.

Actually it is better than just an adjustable track bar. Recentering axle is the minor part of the improvement. The major part is getting the roll center back where it was. In an ideal world you'd want to raise both front and rear track bars by the same amount that you lifted the Jeep. That would set your roll centers back to where they were from the factory.

In the rear it's pretty easy to just lift it up to a point. After a certain height you have to worry about hitting things and that's a long lever arm off the axle that can fracture easier.

In the front it's harder to raise the roll center back because you also have to raise the drag link to match. Ie high steer. High steer isn't really a steering mod, it's a mod to raise the track bar to get your roll center back. The secondary effect is you have to also raise the drag link the same amount.

Sent via....

THIS ^^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself :crazyeyes:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Is there any benefit or detriment to the addition of a raised rear track bar bracket on a stock JLUR? Well, besides shifting the axle over of course. Was more curious about roll center and clearance.

Last edited: