JL Balljoints, still crappy?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I've almost got 40k on our JL now and my ball joints are shot. In fact, I think they've been worn out for a while now. I've been holding out for aftermarket replacements and fortunately, I think a really nice one is coming our way soon. :yup:

Good news indeed. 🤞

NFRs2000NYC

I've almost got 40k on our JL now and my ball joints are shot. In fact, I think they've been worn out for a while now. I've been holding out for aftermarket replacements and fortunately, I think a really nice one is coming our way soon. :yup:

Wait, but arent you on a prorock?

ckor

Well it turns out that it wasn’t the ball joints making the awful noise. The lower bolt on the tereflex drop bracket calls for 230 lbs of torque. Only bolt I didn’t check. Was off slightly. No more noise. 60,000 miles and ball joints still tight. Been running 37’s since I got it and rock crawling at least 2-3 x’s per month. Nothing extreme though.

ckor

Just an update. Noise came back. Shot grease in ball joints. Noise went away for a day. Put grease in them everyday until today when I had them replaced. They said they were still within spec but there is a notification difference in the steering now. Much tighter and no wobble at 55mph. So do they really get that noisy as they wear? I guess I’ll find out