EVO JL Coilover Discussion Thread

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I thought it might be beneficial for those running the EVO JL Coilover system (and those considering the system) to have a place to discuss installation, set up, tuning, etc.

Last edited:

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
So far I am loving this kit. I am running the coilovers with the EVO JLU High Clearance Long Arms, however you can also run them with a short arm system.

Currently I'm running 2" of threads above the coil nut (x all four corners).

20190628_164103-1024x768.jpg

With ≈ 0.75" gap between the coil sliders and the timing / secondary rings (x all four corners).

20190628_164147-1024x768.jpg

Initially I was running 1.25" of threads above the coil nut. However, the other day I noted that at full droop my coil nuts required 1.75" just to sit on the top of my springs (zero preload), so I settled on a 2.0" gap above all four coil nuts for now.

For further information on the EVO MFG JLU HIGH CLEARANCE LONG ARMS or the EVO MFG JL BOLT-ON COILOVERS, the following videos are a must watch:

Jeep JL Wrangler Coilover Suspension with High Clearance Long Arm Installation by EVO

Jeep JL Wrangler Coilover Suspension with High Clearance Long Arms Installation - BIG FLEX by EVO

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
So recently while extending my shocks to check the nitrogen pressure in my reservoirs, I noticed that my springs were just barely seated. I increased my preload another half inch for a total of 2.5" of threads on all four corners. I'd could have sworn that the springs were pretty firmly seated at 2" a couple of weeks ago. Maybe my springs are breaking in?

Nitrogen pressure in my coilovers were/are 150 psi at all four corners (measured at full extension/droop).

Deezus

Will be doing the longarm coilover to my JLUR in a couple months. Has anyone done this to stock Rubicon axles?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Deezus

So recently while extending my shocks to check the nitrogen pressure in my reservoirs, I noticed that my springs were just barely seated. I increased my preload another half inch for a total of 2.5" of threads on all four corners. I'd could have sworn that the springs were pretty firmly seated at 2" a couple of weeks ago. Maybe my springs are breaking in?

Nitrogen pressure in my coilovers were/are 150 psi at all four corners (measured at full extension/droop).
What is your ride height? Can you measure from the ground up to first line in fenders using wheel center as guide?
Do you have any rake or droop on the rear passenger side because of gas tank like on the JK??
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Like this. View attachment 12840

Not sure I can get an accurate measurement there considering the width of the tires and the BS of the wheels.
20190809_094644-1024x768.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I was parked next to a brand new 2019 JLUR 3.6/AT hardtop while on level ground. I measured almost exactly a 5" difference (front and rear) between the stock JLUR and the way mine sits as it is now (2.5" coilover preload + Cooper 37x13.5r17 at 26 psi). I have not noticed any significant side lean, however I haven't looked that hard either. Although the attached pictures show the passenger side due to better lighting, the original measurements were taken on the driver's sides at the following locations -

20190809_100710.jpg

20190809_100620.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Perfect!! About the same as mine now. I wanna run mine about an inch lower if I can. Thanks[emoji106]

I'm running the supplied/standard springs front and rear, seen HERE.

The measurements that I posted above is with 2.5" of threads above the coil nut. In my experience you will need at least 1.75" of threads just to achieve zero preload, possibly 2.0" or more once the springs break in. If I was to drop the height 1.0" by adjusting the coil nut alone, then I would not be at zero preload.

Unless you're armored and/or loaded up and running pretty heavy, you may find that you're going to need lower spring rates front and rear to sit an inch lower than I am now.

Deezus

I'm running the supplied/standard springs front and rear, seen HERE.

The measurements that I posted above is with 2.5" of threads above the coil nut. In my experience you will need at least 1.75" of threads just to achieve zero preload, possibly 2.0" or more once the springs break in. If I was to drop the height 1.0" by adjusting the coil nut alone, then I would not be at zero preload.

Unless you're armored and/or loaded up and running pretty heavy, you may find that you're going to need lower spring rates front and rear to sit an inch lower than I am now.
Thanks and I'll run them the same as what you have, it will work fine.
Question, are your rear passenger side coils adjusted for the gas tank or are the springs side specific, pertaining to rear passenger side droop like on the JK?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Thanks and I'll run them the same as what you have, it will work fine.
Question, are your rear passenger side coils adjusted for the gas tank or are the springs side specific, pertaining to rear passenger side droop like on the JK?

The springs are not side specific. I have all four corners adjusted the same.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Do you have droop at the gas tank side?
I ask because on my JK I had to adjust the rear to compensate.
Can you post a pic?
Ty

Next time I fill up, I'll try to remember to snap a picture. The gas stations have the only level ground around here.

Deezus

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Evo long arm kit w/ coilovers. Can't decide on if I should go with adjusters or not, any thoughts or opinions?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Evo long arm kit w/ coilovers. Can't decide on if I should go with adjusters or not, any thoughts or opinions?

Personally, I went without adjusters because I would be messing with them constantly. I have a firm grasp on my own insanity, and know that I would probably pull over on the side of the highway to fiddle with them. I would be unable to resist the urge. I would never get anywhere. That being said, I have no regrets choosing to go without compression adjustment.