Intermittent Radio

YAHAHA

Our JLUR started having an issue where the sound would cut out for about half a second every 3 seconds or so. Of course this happened the morning of our 12 hour drive for the holidays!

We spent some time online and found very little information about the issue:
*check the electrical connection for the rear wiper for moisture if running a hard top.
*Disconnect the negative battery cable for 10 seconds to reset the radio.

We disconnected the battery and that fixed the problem... for a while. It's back!
Has anybody else had this problem? What is the real cause of this and what is the permanent fix?

Thanks for your input and good luck with your radios.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

YAHAHA

Today at lunchtime, I did nothing to try to fix those issue, the radio worked fine. Go figure.

Pirate2012

Radio cuts out

I had a JK that did the same along with the cruise control shutting off.Simple fix-check that all tha fuses are well seated.During shipping the fuses that handle all the time power like the clock aren't seated.

YAHAHA

I checked our fuses when this first started. I pulled the ones for the radio and checked to make sure all was okay. I'm wondering if there is a loose ground somewhere or just as bad/corroded connection.

According to the build date, our Jeep is almost a year old; built December 2017!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure JeepFan had the same problem. Had something to do with the switch panel being that it's connected to the headunit.

YAHAHA

And it's working again on the way home from work today!

YAHAHA

Driving to dinner today okay; after dinner intermittent again. Turned Jeep off and back on and it worked okay. Phone calls work okay. After three phone call, stopped working again.

Tried to turn off to reset it and the radio would not shut off, even when I opened the door. Cycled through the start deference a couple times without for on the brake to get the radio to turn off with the Jeep off and door open.

Radio still intermittent. ☹️

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Driving to dinner today okay; after dinner intermittent again. Turned Jeep off and back on and it worked okay. Phone calls work okay. After three phone call, stopped working again.

Tried to turn off to reset it and the radio would not shut off, even when I opened the door. Cycled through the start deference a couple times without for on the brake to get the radio to turn off with the Jeep off and door open.

Radio still intermittent. ☹️

Have you tried taking a video of it when it does that?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

YAHAHA

Also, there have been a few times the power for locks didn't work either. Would neither lock nor unlock with the switch on any door. After manually licking/unlocking the switches started working.

YAHAHA

Just had the recall work done to reprogram the computer for the cruise control yesterday. That did not affect this issue. I was hoping that would have fixed the radio as well.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Have you tried taking a video of it when it does that?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

^^^THIS^^^

Definitely have your phone out and videotape when these problems occur. Capturing intermittent shifting problems resulted in dealer replacement of my JKUR TCM. They were always unable to replicate the problem due to the intermittent nature, but they were more than willing to accept a video.

YAHAHA

I took about 5 minutes of video last night of the issues and cycling through ignition sequence & power on/off. The last time I took video evidence of my backup camera not working on our Ford, they would not even look at it unless it wasn't working. Here's to hoping Jeep is different.

Thanks.

YAHAHA

And today it is working fine. Can't wait to get home and schedule a dealer visit.

YAHAHA

Radio not working all day today. Stopped by the Jeep dealership and let them experience the radio cutting in and out. They did a scan and got an error code that radio lost connection. They said this is a known issue and it will require a software patch to fix.

If you're having this issue, the dealer now should know how to fix this issue. My appointment is next week and I'll update after then.

Last edited:

YAHAHA

Had my appointment today. They were useless!

Here's the issue:
Radio randomly cutting out every few seconds. Found online that disconnecting the negative battery terminal resets the radio and temporarily fixes the issue. This worked temporarily.

Took Jeep to dealer but since radio was working it threw no codes so they couldn't do anything except tell me to come back when it stopped working again.

Radio intermittent again so drive it to Jeep. They scanned it while Radio not working and got error code "lost connection to radio.". Was told this is a known issue with a TSB and a simple software fix. They need to download the fix, it could take a few hours and the person needed wasn't there. Make an appointment and come back.

Came back for appointment with radio working. They scanned it and said it's not broken, nothing they can do. They checked wires and voltage but found no problem. Did not install any software patch. They told me that it must have downloaded an update on its own and magically fixed itself.

Time to escalate this issue.

Nobody else has this issue with their radio?

Last edited:

YAHAHA

Tuesday, radio not working. Stopped at Jeep right as their service department closed. They couldn't scan it but the sales manager left a note for service manager that I was there and radio not working. Asked him to call me to discuss.

Friday, no call from Jeep yet. Radio stopped working on way home from work so stopped and had them scan. Error code was AMP some number they wouldn't let me see lost communication with radio.

Service writer was talking with his manager so I walked over to talk with them. The mgr said that Jeep knows about this problem, there have been a number of complaints about this. He said that they had a 3 hour meeting today talking about the issue.

I asked if they had a fix for it. He told me that they'd need the Jeep for at least a day to fully diagnose the problem. I asked if they had any vehicles here with the issue and they said no. We went to look at the Jeep and the mgr asked if the center two cents were closed. He looked in the Jeep and looked at the code and said, "I've seen this before, the code said amp. We'll replace the amp. We'll order one and install it.". I asked if that will fix the problem and of course he replied"we'll start there and see if that takes care of it."

So it seems to me, Jeep knows there is a problem but not the root cause or how to fix it.

I've been there 5 times for this issue so far. Because they only did actual "service" one time, they said I've only been there once. That is infuriating. I asked them to write me a ticket showing that I was there tonight, the Jeep scanned, the error code (they wouldn't show me) and that they are offering an amp to fix the problem. The service writer argued for 5 minutes and then just put me on hold, no warning.

A quick call to the general manager for me the service director calling me to ensure me that they would write a service ticket staying that I was there today, what was done and what will be done.

This dealer sucks so badly, I hate leaving the Jeep there for service.

YAHAHA

8 months later and no fix from our dealership so we traded it in for a new 2019. Plus, there was a coolant leak the dealership couldn't find. Plus the new Jeep has remote start and painted fenders.

At almost 30K with warranty expiring very soon, figured this was the best way to fix the issues with our Jeep. 🤪

Getting the tires switched over from the old Jeep this week since service was closed by the time we got the deal done.
IMG_2578.jpg