JL JOURNAL : Mounting a 37" Spare Tire on a JL Wrangler Tailgate

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Eddie, do you think that this raiser plus the stock tailgate are strong enough to carry a 37 for a long time? Want to upgrade my carrier but of the two options I like they both have some cons to them. Figure this would be a good solution for the time being

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, do you think that this raiser plus the stock tailgate are strong enough to carry a 37 for a long time? Want to upgrade my carrier but of the two options I like they both have some cons to them. Figure this would be a good solution for the time being

So, I ran that setup for awhile and found it to hold up well. I should note that driving hard and fast across the desert, I could hear the tailgate making noise though. Not a problem really but something you should know. With the EVO tire carrier installed, we no longer have the noise.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So, I ran that setup for awhile and found it to hold up well. I should note that driving hard and fast across the desert, I could hear the tailgate making noise though. Not a problem really but something you should know. With the EVO tire carrier installed, we no longer have the noise.

PA roads are kinda like the desert 🤪 thanks for the info Eddie

tallguy26

I'm putting a 35x12.5 on my jeep. Do you think the stock carrier can handle the weight (I calculated about 90-100 lbs on the carrier), or should I upgrade the carrier as well? I already have an mopar reinforcement bracket.

Sent from my SM-G981U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm putting a 35x12.5 on my jeep. Do you think the stock carrier can handle the weight (I calculated about 90-100 lbs on the carrier), or should I upgrade the carrier as well? I already have an mopar reinforcement bracket.

Sent from my SM-G981U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

It can carry the weight. Just make sure you extend the bump stops on the tailgate so the tire is firm against it if your running a deep offset wheel.

tallguy26

Will lift it later. Right now it's just the stock rubicon height. Also just realized a hijacked another thread sorry.