Mopar Spare Tire Kit and 37’s Tested.

For anyone interested, the Mopar kit does indeed fit a 37” tire (Cooper STT 37”x12.5”).

If you install,

-Oversized Spare Tire Carrier Bracket KitIMG_0037.JPG &
-Tailgate Reinforcement KitIMG_0038.JPG

It handles it nicely. Personally, it feels like the reinforcement kit is a no brainer, despite the magnesium of the gate. It just increases the reach of the gate hardware to extend farther to the center of gravity of the gate.

I also installed the brake light relocation kit. Not sure if the stock light will extend high enough, but I didn’t want to have the windshield occluded any more.

I’ll add some pics in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

The Oversized Tire Bracket kit includes an offset bracket that raises the bolt assembly of the back by a couple inches.

IMG_0061.JPG

The reinforcement plate then bolts over the hinge brackets and then again into tailgate farther in, increasing the reach of the hinge support.

IMG_0062.JPG

There are two layers of spacers to push the offset bracket out from the body. I used one layer for the 12.5” STTs.

IMG_0063.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

cliff538

Chris, you don't see any problems with a STT Pro 37" x 13.5" tire do you? I can't imagine it would make a difference but wanted to check.

BillArnett

Chris, you don't see any problems with a STT Pro 37" x 13.5" tire do you? I can't imagine it would make a difference but wanted to check.

I was wondering that, too. That wider tire will be 1/2 closer to the tailgate. So maybe the rubber spacers will have to be shortened a bit more?

BillArnett

Thanks. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. If my JL ever gets out of Ohio :-( In any case, we can always use Eddie’s hockey puck solution :)