JL Lift Kits

aug0211

Question for you Eddie, and rest of the crew, too!

I’m looking for advice on some of the best options for me to level and fit 35s on my Sahara. I don’t have it yet (2.0T delays).

I’ll be putting Ridge Grapplers (35x12.5r17s) on it with 17x8.5s (-10 offset/4.3 BS).

My use is 95% pavement with light to moderate off-roading. I’d like to be capable of hitting trails but will not be out at Moab or anything too cool like that (just basic trails near
me in Ohio).

I’d like to keep the lift somewhat minimal for accessibility (and my taste in aesthetics) reasons.

On-road ride quality is also important. I’ll be on E rated tires to start (if they are crazy harsh, I may have to swap out for the C rated KO2s, though I really prefer not to).

I prefer to spend on the lower end, as it doesn’t seem like throwing money at this one will necessarily get me what I want - so I’d like to put that money elsewhere if possible. If I’m wrong on this, definitely let me know.

So far, it has seemed like basic leveling spacers might be a good option for me. Should I be looking at something with springs, too? Or go to a “full” lift with shocks as well?

As far as height, I’m thinking something like 2-2.5” in the front and 1-1.5” in the rear would be ideal to help me level and clear the 35s. Does this make sense?

Lastly... any specific recommendations on kits? Hoping we can find something cost effective that won’t rattle the wife’s and babies’ brains with a harsh ride :)

Ideas on the list so far:
RC 2.5” kit (like the price)
SkyJacker 1.5” kit (higher end of price I’d like to spend)
EVO 2.5”/Stage 1 - does this level?

I see a few other options out there but I don’t think they help level (maybe I’m wrong).

Thanks in advance. First time lifting here. Really looking forward to hearing from the experts! This is a big decision for me and I’m starting to stress on it, especially since I need to pull the trigger so I have the kit ready for when I (hopefully) take delivery in a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

Chrismendoza

Just saw the evo kits with coils. Looks like I'll be ordering stage 2 with shock extensions and saving up for kings in the near future..🇺🇸😁

aug0211

Question for you Eddie, and rest of the crew, too!

I’m looking for advice on some of the best options for me to level and fit 35s on my Sahara. I don’t have it yet (2.0T delays).

I’ll be putting Ridge Grapplers (35x12.5r17s) on it with 17x8.5s (-10 offset/4.3 BS).

My use is 95% pavement with light to moderate off-roading. I’d like to be capable of hitting trails but will not be out at Moab or anything too cool like that (just basic trails near
me in Ohio).

I’d like to keep the lift somewhat minimal for accessibility (and my taste in aesthetics) reasons.

On-road ride quality is also important. I’ll be on E rated tires to start (if they are crazy harsh, I may have to swap out for the C rated KO2s, though I really prefer not to).

I prefer to spend on the lower end, as it doesn’t seem like throwing money at this one will necessarily get me what I want - so I’d like to put that money elsewhere if possible. If I’m wrong on this, definitely let me know.

So far, it has seemed like basic leveling spacers might be a good option for me. Should I be looking at something with springs, too? Or go to a “full” lift with shocks as well?

As far as height, I’m thinking something like 2-2.5” in the front and 1-1.5” in the rear would be ideal to help me level and clear the 35s. Does this make sense?

Lastly... any specific recommendations on kits? Hoping we can find something cost effective that won’t rattle the wife’s and babies’ brains with a harsh ride :)

Ideas on the list so far:
RC 2.5” kit (like the price)
SkyJacker 1.5” kit (higher end of price I’d like to spend)
EVO 2.5”/Stage 1 - does this level?

I see a few other options out there but I don’t think they help level (maybe I’m wrong).

Thanks in advance. First time lifting here. Really looking forward to hearing from the experts! This is a big decision for me and I’m starting to stress on it, especially since I need to pull the trigger so I have the kit ready for when I (hopefully) take delivery in a week or two.

I know it’s a lot - so, I’m sorry for that - but does anyone have any insight or tips for me to consider?

JTCO

Meme King
I know it’s a lot - so, I’m sorry for that - but does anyone have any insight or tips for me to consider?

Of the 3 kits you named, I would go with the Evo myself. But also like you stated, a simple spacer kit may be all that you need to run 35s on a sahara for the way you will use the Jeep. I would say keep it simple and save some money.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but you may need wheel spacers to run 35s as well.

aug0211

Of the 3 kits you named, I would go with the Evo myself. But also like you stated, a simple spacer kit may be all that you need to run 35s on a sahara for the way you will use the Jeep. I would say keep it simple and save some money.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but you may need wheel spacers to run 35s as well.

I’m *somewhat* confident in my wheels with the 4.3” backspacing. If they were factory wheels, I’d need spacers for sure as I understand it.

So, EVO has a spacer kit out for the JL, no springs or shocks. It’s more than twice the price of the RC option. Is that worth it for me?

Then, there’s SJ which is comparable price to the EVO - but is a spring and shock lift and not just spacers...

Maybe keep it simple for me, with the cheapest and simplest option? RC 2.5” BB?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m *somewhat* confident in my wheels with the 4.3” backspacing. If they were factory wheels, I’d need spacers for sure as I understand it.

So, EVO has a spacer kit out for the JL, no springs or shocks. It’s more than twice the price of the RC option. Is that worth it for me?

Then, there’s SJ which is comparable price to the EVO - but is a spring and shock lift and not just spacers...

Maybe keep it simple for me, with the cheapest and simplest option? RC 2.5” BB?

EVO is now selling their Enforcer kit and it comes with coils and King shocks. Crazy expensive mind you but it is an option that's now available. That being said, they do offer their coil spacers in 4 different packages and you don't need to get the most expensive one to make it work. I would recommend either the drop brackets or adjustable front lower control arms though as they will help correct your caster angle and provide better handling. With all that said, it's pretty hard to screw up a set of coil spacers. If you go with the cheapest kit, I still would recommend drop brackets or adjustable front lower arms to dial in your caster.

aug0211

EVO is now selling their Enforcer kit and it comes with coils and King shocks. Crazy expensive mind you but it is an option that's now available. That being said, they do offer their coil spacers in 4 different packages and you don't need to get the most expensive one to make it work. I would recommend either the drop brackets or adjustable front lower control arms though as they will help correct your caster angle and provide better handling. With all that said, it's pretty hard to screw up a set of coil spacers. If you go with the cheapest kit, I still would recommend drop brackets or adjustable front lower arms to dial in your caster.

Thanks, Eddie! I’m actually watching your video of installation of the EVO kit - with the arms as well, of course. Awesome video!

I don’t love the drilling that was required for the shock extensions - and there was one other point earlier on where you had to drill out an existing hole up to 1/2” in size... I forget what that one was though. I’m just enough of a novice that I’d like to avoid anything that cannot be reversed, and drilling can’t be undone, of course. [emoji53] No big deal for those of you who are more experienced, but a bit intimidating/unsettling for a first timer like myself.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Eddie! I’m actually watching your video of installation of the EVO kit - with the arms as well, of course. Awesome video!

I don’t love the drilling that was required for the shock extensions - and there was one other point earlier on where you had to drill out an existing hole up to 1/2” in size... I forget what that one was though. I’m just enough of a novice that I’d like to avoid anything that cannot be reversed, and drilling can’t be undone, of course. [emoji53] No big deal for those of you who are more experienced, but a bit intimidating/unsettling for a first timer like myself.

The holes drilled don't need to be reversed. Up front, the hole was just so that you could attach the brake line bracket onto the shock bolt being that the new control arms don't have the stud the bracket is attached to on the factory arms. If you were to reinstall the factory arms, you could still reinstall the bracket onto the stud just like before. The hole you drill in the rear is just for the shock extension bracket. If you were to remove the bracket in the future, you would just have a hole there that does nothing. In fact, I've already done this on my JL being that I've recently installed new and longer Rancho RS5000X shocks. Of course, installing new and longer shocks would allow you to drill one less hole. :yup:

aug0211

The holes drilled don't need to be reversed. Up front, the hole was just so that you could attach the brake line bracket onto the shock bolt being that the new control arms don't have the stud the bracket is attached to on the factory arms. If you were to reinstall the factory arms, you could still reinstall the bracket onto the stud just like before. The hole you drill in the rear is just for the shock extension bracket. If you were to remove the bracket in the future, you would just have a hole there that does nothing. In fact, I've already done this on my JL being that I've recently installed new and longer Rancho RS5000X shocks. Of course, installing new and longer shocks would allow you to drill one less hole. :yup:

Haha so I just need to buy the new shocks now, right!?

In all seriousness, the RS5000X are reasonably priced... how have they changed the on-road manners? From a “mommy and 2 babies” comfort perspective... are the Ranchos an improvement over stock, or think we’re better off with stock + extensions?

PS - thanks for the help. I appreciate all the knowledge sharing, and patience with a learner!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha so I just need to buy the new shocks now, right!?

In all seriousness, the RS5000X are reasonably priced... how have they changed the on-road manners? From a “mommy and 2 babies” comfort perspective... are the Ranchos an improvement over stock, or think we’re better off with stock + extensions?

PS - thanks for the help. I appreciate all the knowledge sharing, and patience with a learner!

The stock shocks were made to perform well with a stock setup. With bigger and heavier tires, I found them to have a hard time keeping up. The Rancho shocks helped a lot with this and for how much they cost, I thought they were worth every penny.

JLSahara

My local shop sent me an email telling me EVO was increasing their prices on the lower adjustable arms today so I was able to pull the trigger on them before the price increase that happened an hour later.

So I guess I now have the Stage 2 kit... lol, what a way to make me save money by spending it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My local shop sent me an email telling me EVO was increasing their prices on the lower adjustable arms today so I was able to pull the trigger on them before the price increase that happened an hour later.

So I guess I now have the Stage 2 kit... lol, what a way to make me save money by spending it.

:cheesy:.....

JLSahara

Btw - I didn’t buy from the local shop. They recommended I take advantage of the low rate of $419 I found on Morris 4x4. I checked an hour later and yup, the price did go up on every single site I visited.