Tire pressures for 37s

ubbb69

chalk test said 28 psi for open country rt in the 37"x13.5" version. The dealer was able to turn the tpms down to 27 for me when he set it for 37" tires. He said 27 was as low as it will go.

BillArnett

chalk test said 28 psi for open country rt in the 37"x13.5" version. The dealer was able to turn the tpms down to 27 for me when he set it for 37" tires. He said 27 was as low as it will go.

Your dealer is mistaken. I was able to set the TMPS to 20 psi with a Tazer JL.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You're lucky that your dealership was able and willing to lower your TPMS at all.

Your dealer is mistaken. I was able to set the TMPS to 20 psi with a Tazer JL.

A dealership will NOT have access to a Tazer JL and they would NOT be allowed to set your TPMS lower than what Jeep recommends.

BillArnett

You're lucky that your dealership was able and willing to lower your TPMS at all.

A dealership will NOT have access to a Tazer JL and they would NOT be allowed to set your TPMS lower than what Jeep recommends.

Good reason to get your own Tazer :yup:

ubbb69

Yeah and I bought the last 3 vehicles at a different dealer.

Yeah the lowest Jeep
Let’s it go is 27#. Which works perfectly since 28 is where I run. That way it reminds me to air up. Or if a problem exists.

BillArnett

Maybe I’m confused (again :). Until I get a chance to do some more careful testing I’m running 25 psi street pressure. So I set the TMPS to 20 thinking that that would be the level at which it would give me a warning. But when I was aired down to 15 for the dirt the TMPS warning said (paraphrasing): “blah blah blah air up to 20”. So maybe the setting is supposed to be the normal pressure not the warning threshold? And it then gives a warning at some unspecified level below that?

I suppose I could experiment. But that’s tedious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I can tell you is this. When we got our JL, the tires were aired up to 40 psi. After airing down for the first time, the TPMS said to air back up to 37 psi. Being that gauge on my compressor sucks, I only got them up to about 35 psi but that seemed to be enough to turn off the warning light. I should note, this was all done back when we were still running stock. As you have seen as well, I'm guessing there is a threshold it works within and not some kind of set number.