M.O.R.E. Dead Pedal

shotcoach

Let me start by saying the dead pedal in my JK was a game changer for me in terms of comfort while driving. I knew I wanted one for my JL when they became available. So, I picked up a dead pedal Thursday, 3/29, from the guys at MORE at the EJS vendor expo. I just put it in this morning and since they said mine was the first one they’ve sold I thought I’d share some pics and thoughts of the install and quality.

Let me start by saying I don’t have any unboxing pictures. Deciding to document this wasn’t a thought until I was already in the Jeep and the box was in recycling. However, here is a pic of the label from the box, lol:
IMG_3890.JPG

It’s a pretty simple install so I’m not going to go into a ton of details on every step. It uses factory holes on some framing above the kick panel:
IMG_3959.JPG

MORE supplies a backing plate with a couple of bolts welded on that slide through the rear most holes.
IMG_3960.JPG

A larger plate, which the pedal actually mounts to, is then attached via the backing plate bolts and supplied washers and nuts. But first, the pedal needs to be installed onto the plate. There are three possible positions. I chose the furthest position back for a couple of reasons - first, it seemed like a food spot; second, it provided the easiest access to the two nuts that secure the pedal/plate to the backing plate.

The pedal attaches to the larger plate with one bolt/nut and uses a couple of tabs to provide stability. You can see the horizontal tab openings and the single holes in the plate in this picture. I have already attached the pedal to the third (furthest back) position.
IMG_3961.JPG

With the pedal attached, you simply put the bolts from the backing plate into the holes in the larger front plate and secure using the washers and nuts provided.
IMG_3968.JPG

Here it is installed:
IMG_3969.JPG

Thoughts and notes: it was a bitch for me to contort myself in a way that let me see where to put the backing plate, etc. I finally gave up seeing anything and just felt my way around - which still was a bit awkward. Now that it is in it is pretty solid. There is the smallest amount of wiggle (forward to back) in the pedal. I think this might be a result of the single bolt/two tab design of securing the pedal to the bracket. Overall, this seems like it will work just fine for its intended purpose, but I am slightly worried that long term there might be an issue with the movement getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Onlyone

Nice Job! On my JK I got used to having it and ended up liking it. That might be the case for my JL too.

BillArnett

Nice. It never ceases to amaze me that so many cars lack this. And worse, that they don’t put the brake and the gas in the same plane. It’s so awkward when driving over the rocks with one foot on each pedal.

We’re you able to set it so that the dead pedal and the gas pedal are the same distance from your body?

RMC2

Nice write up.

You might try welding the two parts together if you are sure it is the right spot for you. Then it will not wiggle.

KS-Mike

Just installed mine, while it is well constructed, I found it to be a major PITA to put in. Given its location, and the fact that I’m NOT a contortionist dwarf, I found it hard with normal tools. The holes didn’t line up to the Jeep holes well at all, and I needed to file the holes to make it work. It was nearly impossible to hold the plated bolts and the pedal to line it up and bolt it. I also added some lock washers. I finally got it aligned and getting a wrench on the back bolt was no easy task. I’m no mechanic, but I now need a chiropractor.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Bodhiavo

Agreed, love it now that it’s installed, but I have never sweat so much in my life trying to install this thing. Lost two washers in the process, and had two locking washers that fit that I used instead. Had to use a ratchet socket wrench with an extension to get it on right.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Drewmob

Sorry to bump from the dead - I noticed the lack of a dead pedal on my test drive and think I’ll order this.

Does it interfere with your ability to disconnect the driver door wiring harness? Sorry if that’s a silly question - just completed my order on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app