ORANGE CRUSH - The MOPAR SKUNKWERKS 2-Door JK that Started it All

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it would be fun to venture back to a time long ago. A time way before MOPAR was releasing ultra-high end shiny JK's during the Moab Easter Jeep Safari and the Jeep design team known as Skunkwerks (later known as The Underground) used to make concept vehicles that were more modest in scale and attainable to all. Of course, the one I remember the most and with fond memories was the very first JK concept that they brought out to the 2006 SEMA show and it was a gorgeous 2-Door called, the Orange Crush!

At a time when the JK was still hard to come by and with most people waiting for the delivery of theirs, ones they ordered 6 months or more before - the Orange Crush was the epitome of simplicity and with DIY elements that Cindy and I wanted to emulate. Or at least, once we got our hands on our JK. In addition to having a Superlift 4" lift, Hutchinson beadlock wheels, BFGoodrich 37" Krawler Tires, an AEV Heat-Reduction Hood and AEV Rear Corner Guards, this would be the first time that we saw trimmed factory fender flares. Granted, they were nothing quite like we've got on our JK's now but it gave us the idea that it could be done! The other thing that caught our eye was the extreme simplicity of the military style winch mount being used as a bumper. Back then and even now, everyone had the idea that big full width bumpers were all the rage but this gave us the idea of eventually running just a PUREJEEP winch plate and hoop and it later became known as their BareBonez bumper. Anyway, here are a few shots of what it looked like at SEMA 2006.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Went digging through our 2007 Moab EJS archives and found a few more shots of Orange Crush and at dusk to shows it's way cool indicator/parking lights integrated into the headlights. Check it out.
20170331111458-094f585a-me.jpg

20170331111454-eaef13c8-me.jpg

Of course, Mark Allen, the senior designer for Jeep let Cindy and I take it out for a spin too. :cool:
20170331111501-b9df3142-me.jpg

And that my friends is my little walk back into time. I hope you enjoyed :cool:

ddays v2

After seeing the way the turn signals are integrated into the fenders on the JL, I'd love to see someone offer headlights (hello Trucklite?) that had the turn signals integrated in them. That'd solve the "what do I do if I trim the fenders" debate!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing the way the turn signals are integrated into the fenders on the JL, I'd love to see someone offer headlights (hello Trucklite?) that had the turn signals integrated in them. That'd solve the "what do I do if I trim the fenders" debate!

Seriously, that would be the BEST option and what I'm hoping for will come out someday sooner than later. If need be, I would totally consider making my own turn signal lights like how we used to do back in the TJ days. With all that said, I'd be lying if I said that the JL turn signal lights weren't starting to grow on me a little though :crazyeyes:

Piginajeep

Seriously, that would be the BEST option and what I'm hoping for will come out someday sooner than later. If need be, I would totally consider making my own turn signal lights like how we used to do back in the TJ days. With all that said, I'd be lying if I said that the JL turn signal lights weren't starting to grow on me a little though :crazyeyes:

I like them, throw back to the TJ..

You know someone will drill out the grill and think it was there idea. 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app