How much rub

wanderer

Thinking of going upto 315 70 17. On stock wheels. I don’t really want a lift. Any ideas on how much on 2018 jlu rubicon

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thinking of going upto 315 70 17. On stock wheels. I don’t really want a lift. Any ideas on how much on 2018 jlu rubicon

Being that you have a Rubicon, you probably won't see much if any driving around town. On the trail, you'll most likely see some rubbing on the fender liners at a full flex.

BillArnett

How much rubbing at full stuff should I expect with Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5, 4.75 backspacing and the Mopar 2" lift? I plan on eventually getting flat fender flares so I'm not worried about rubbing the outside edge of the stock flares. But will something like Eddie's heat-gun fix for the rear inner liner be sufficient? There are after-market inner fender liners for the JK. Would something like that help?

How much rubbing at full stuff should I expect with Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5, 4.75 backspacing and the Mopar 2" lift? I plan on eventually getting flat fender flares so I'm not worried about rubbing the outside edge of the stock flares. But will something like Eddie's heat-gun fix for the rear inner liner be sufficient? There are after-market inner fender liners for the JK. Would something like that help?

I haven’t gone full stuff yet, but my 12.5’s have so far only tagged the rear inner bulge. Once my Jeep is functional enough I will re-engage testing to see how bad it is, but my guess is the heat gun trick will work only for 95% of travel on a 2” lift. If you go flat fender then I bet that’d be fine.

So, how dumb would it be to add a 0.75” spacer to the springs? Will that throw off the geometry appreciably?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, how dumb would it be to add a 0.75” spacer to the springs? Will that throw off the geometry appreciably?

I don't know if it'd be "dumb" per se but that'll put you close to 3" of lift and you'd start feeling in in your steering/handling if nothing else. Also, you'd still need to add an additional .75" to your bump stop extensions as well.

I don't know if it'd be "dumb" per se but that'll put you close to 3" of lift and you'd start feeling in in your steering/handling if nothing else. Also, you'd still need to add an additional .75" to your bump stop extensions as well.

That’s what I was fearing. I think the 2” is perfect and I’m not sure I want to go much higher. Well, we’ll see soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

offcamber

I'm running 315/70R17's on the Mopar beadlocks. I can stuff the fenders and they get close to making contact, but they don't. It doesn't look like it would clear when flexed, but it does.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running 315/70R17's on the Mopar beadlocks. I can stuff the fenders and they get close to making contact, but they don't. It doesn't look like it would clear when flexed, but it does.

315 is a big 35" tire and that's what the 2" Mopar kit is designed to clear :yup:

Geronimo

Agreed, let me mold plastic all day to accomplish what I need

Well I get that and I suppose your right, but I think I would rather gut the entire fender well (get rid of all the black plastic) and install some solid looking Aluminum fender liners. Vents the engine compartment and solves all the rub issues. Airtec makes great ones for the front and is about to release some for the rear. And as far as bump stop is concerned sometimes just a 1/4" piece of aluminum plate is enough to clear. It was just a suggestion. But yea a heat gun works too if it makes you happy.

BillArnett

Well I get that and I suppose your right, but I think I would rather gut the entire fender well (get rid of all the black plastic) and install some solid looking Aluminum fender liners. Vents the engine compartment and solves all the rub issues. Airtec makes great ones for the front and is about to release some for the rear. And as far as bump stop is concerned sometimes just a 1/4" piece of aluminum plate is enough to clear. It was just a suggestion. But yea a heat gun works too if it makes you happy.

The marketing hype for the Artec aluminum front fender liners says, “tested with no lift and 37" tires”. Should I believe that?? I would MUCH rather go that route to run 37s than with a cheap budget boost while I’m waiting for some better lift options.