Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible good news for the Jeep Wrangler

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar

Possible good news for the Jeep Wrangler

Iím sure everyone wonít agree, but this is probably great news, for the Wrangler, as we know it.

E.P.A. Prepares to Roll Back Rules Requiring Cars to Be Cleaner and More Efficient

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/29/c...-rollback.html

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Awesome news unless you live in Kalifornia
    And pa cause we all know pa is right behind them in emissions standards

This makes me happy. Hope it works out.

Knows a Thing or Two BillArnett's Avatar
    You're right, we don't all agree. Much as I love my Jeep, if I had to choose between being able to crawl around on the rocks and leaving a decent planet for the future generations it wouldn't be a very hard choice.

BUT we don't have to make any such choice. It is well within the capabilities of the auto industry, even FCA, to product an all-electric "Jeep". If properly designed, it could be FAR BETTER for off-roading than anything currently on the market. (Tesla has already shown that an all electric sedan or an all electric SUV can blow the doors off the competition in the luxury market. They're well on their way to doing so in the mid-range sedan market, too.)

Think about it: get rid of the entire drive train (gas tank, engine, transmission, xfer case, drive shafts, differentials) and just put one motor on each wheel and a big battery under the floor (with a bit of armor). Very low center of gravity. (Get rid of the brakes, too, if the regulators will allow it; regenerative braking is fully capable of locking the wheels on any surface.) That's a LOT fewer parts to break. Software would control the torque to each wheel independently, no need for lockers. And the available torque from an electric motor makes a diesel look wimpy (top of the line Teslas have over 900 lb-ft) and it's all there at ZERO rpm. Plus the power delivery is super smooth and controllable, no waiting for the engine to rev up, no worries about being in the right gear, it just goes. It's hard to describe how much nicer an EV feels if you haven't driven one. And while that's nice on the highway it would be even nicer on the rocks.

I don't expect FCA's upcoming plug-in Jeep to be anything near that good. They'll probably just put an electric motor in a Wrangler chassis and probably keep the gas engine, too, making the whole system doubly complex. But as soon as someone builds an off-road capable vehicle designed from the ground up and an EV, I'll be first in line to buy it.

No thanks. I wish Jeeps had a V8 option. Thatís whatís in my Grand Cherokee.

I dunno. My CJ3B is almost 65 years old and still running the original 134 Hurricane F-Head I-4 Engine. I turn the key and she starts up. If his battery were dead, I could push start him. Everything is so low tech, I could trouble shoot just about anything I needed to. Conversely, the Renegade Trailhawk I owned was super modern and full of cool electronics that managed how it drove. It was great while it worked but when I got a check engine light on the trail, I no longer had 4WD. Kind of a bummer being that being that I was still on the trail and didn't have a clue as to what I could do to make it work again. The more plumbing you have, the easier it is to stop up the drain and out on the trail, less tech is what I would prefer but then, I know that'll never happen and really, that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by BillArnett View Post
    You're right, we don't all agree. Much as I love my Jeep, if I had to choose between being able to crawl around on the rocks and leaving a decent planet for the future generations it wouldn't be a very hard choice.

BUT we don't have to make any such choice. It is well within the capabilities of the auto industry, even FCA, to product an all-electric "Jeep". If properly designed, it could be FAR BETTER for off-roading than anything currently on the market. (Tesla has already shown that an all electric sedan or an all electric SUV can blow the doors off the competition in the luxury market. They're well on their way to doing so in the mid-range sedan market, too.)

Think about it: get rid of the entire drive train (gas tank, engine, transmission, xfer case, drive shafts, differentials) and just put one motor on each wheel and a big battery under the floor (with a bit of armor). Very low center of gravity. (Get rid of the brakes, too, if the regulators will allow it; regenerative braking is fully capable of locking the wheels on any surface.) That's a LOT fewer parts to break. Software would control the torque to each wheel independently, no need for lockers. And the available torque from an electric motor makes a diesel look wimpy (top of the line Teslas have over 900 lb-ft) and it's all there at ZERO rpm. Plus the power delivery is super smooth and controllable, no waiting for the engine to rev up, no worries about being in the right gear, it just goes. It's hard to describe how much nicer an EV feels if you haven't driven one. And while that's nice on the highway it would be even nicer on the rocks.

I don't expect FCA's upcoming plug-in Jeep to be anything near that good. They'll probably just put an electric motor in a Wrangler chassis and probably keep the gas engine, too, making the whole system doubly complex. But as soon as someone builds an off-road capable vehicle designed from the ground up and an EV, I'll be first in line to buy it.
    This is JLWrangler.com not the Prius forum hippy. What you drive will have hardly any effect on that crap. Stop buying anything at all so it puts all manufacturers of anything out of business and that will help more. And where do you think your power comes from for your electric car? Let me guess, all solar right?

2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    This is JLWrangler.com not the Prius forum hippy. What you drive will have hardly any effect on that crap. Stop buying anything at all so it puts all manufacturers of anything out of business and that will help more. And where do you think your power comes from for your electric car? Let me guess, all solar right?

Wind, silly. Iíve seen all those wind turbines, near you.

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Wind, silly. Iíve seen all those wind turbines, near you.

You mean the ones that catch on fire, arenít on or donít work? Yeah those are great.

2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast