Possible good news for the Jeep Wrangler

RUBICONZ

If being nice equates to good advice don't listen to anything I have to say. If I'm not giving you crap I probably don't really like you.

Sent via....

I honestly don’t even realize that any of this happened because I’m just commenting random dumb things to stir up the moderators because they take life so serious on this app why don’t we talk about jeeps and post things and not worry about all the dumb stuff get over yourselves already

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

My point was, Range anxiety is a real thing. I’ve driven numerous EVs and having say 50 miles of range on a 35 mike drive gave me tremendous anxiety when I had to sit in forever traffic and run the ac in the summer months. The problem would be exponentially worse off-road. I’ve take. Numerous times on my wheeling trips I’ve gotten lost, turned around, or went into a trail that 12 miles later I found out was impassable and had to backtrack. Having no fast way to gain range makes EVs terrible “overland” vehicles. I agree that some characteristics of an Ev are great, like instant torque, however, nothing snaps parts faster than a high input of torque in a questionable situation. A hybrid like the type what gecko is describing would make far more sense (like the volt) as the range issue would go away, but I’d still be cautious about dunking battery packs in mid, water, etc on a repeated basis.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
This could have been an interesting discussion, but I can’t believe how insulting and child-like some of the folks in this forum are. It’s really too bad. This was the first Jeep forum I joined, but now I wouldn’t trust any of the the advice coming out of here. I suggest some housecleaning.

I started this thread, and I’m really disappointed that BillArnett didn’t start his own thread on the merits of electric vehicles.

BillArnett

Yeah, range anxiety is a real thing. But there's a huge difference between a 50 mile range and a 300 mile range. 50 miles is barely enough for most ordinary daily driving; 300 is more than enough in all but pretty unusual cases. But I'll grant that "overland" off-roading might be one of those cases. Taking everything into account (see previous posts) I think the range of an EVJeep won't be all that different from a JLU. BUT, a JL can relatively easily carry a bunch of extra gas. For a really long expedition that could be a big deal. That's not the kind of wheeling I do but for those that do maybe some sort of range extender might make sense. But in any case, no vehicle has an infinite range. Long overland trips will require some extra planning no matter which energy source you're using. So for EVs it's not so much range anxiety as it is a need for a slightly different kind of planning.

If that was all there was to it, then there wouldn't be much point in going to electric drive. But there are, I believe, huge advantages to electric drive for off-roading. See previous posts. But NFRs2000NYC brings up an interesting point: all the EV torque might break something. Here I hope some of you out there with more mechanical expertise can chime in. But my limited experience says that the things that break most often are U-joints (and their kin) and differential gears. Hence my suggestion of one motor per wheel, ideally with the motor built directly into the wheel itself (so called wheel-motors). That way there are no U-joints, no differentials, no lockers to break (the locker function can be done with software). The only things connecting the motor to the frame would be a wire and a cooling line. You could do torque-steering, too, greatly reducing the vehicle's turning circle. The downside is increased unsprung weight. That's probably a killer for a street car but with the heavy wheels and tires we like on Jeeps maybe an extra 50 lbs for a motor would be OK?

(The rear motor in my older Tesla puts out 350 hp and weighs about 70 lbs. The front motor is smaller. Tesla's newer motors are slightly more efficient. So I'm guessing that in an EVJeep with 4 150 hp motors they could probably be less than 50 lbs each.)

JTCO

Meme King
I just felt like this thread needed a really refreshing picture of a Jeep doing its thing:

Water-and-Mud-51.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg