JL JOURNAL : NEW EVO JL Wrangler Coilovers / Long Arms & More - Moab EJS 2018

BillArnett

...You can set your ride height with coilovers but if you're really just wanting to run 2.5" of lift, they're probably not for you...

My wife (and my checkbook) will be happy to hear that :)

When you say "you can set your ride height" how hard is that to do? Could one raise it up an extra couple of inches more upon arrival at Moab and then return to a minimal height for the trip home? Has anyone ever made a Jeep with adjustable air suspension?

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

When you say "you can set your ride height" how hard is that to do? Could one raise it up an extra couple of inches more upon arrival at Moab and then return to a minimal height for the trip home? Has anyone ever made a Jeep with adjustable air suspension?

No need to adjust it at Moab then adjust it at home. Just set it and forget it once you find a height you like. Plus the only way to adjust them is with them at full droop so all the weight is off the springs

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

In theory, I suppose you could but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Certainly, it'd be a hell of a lot of work for a whole lot of nothing. Years ago, there were companies that sold air spring kits like ORO but they were gimmicky at best and never really caught on.

13_gecko_rubi

In theory, I suppose you could but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. Certainly, it'd be a hell of a lot of work for a whole lot of nothing. Years ago, there were companies that sold air spring kits like ORO but they were gimmicky at best and never really caught on.
I agree with Eddie totally. Having run Cliffhanger, Steelbender, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar all in a bone stock JLU Rubicon, raising a lifted jeep a couple extra inches for Moab isn't really necessary. I was dragging the center frequently but that's what skids are for. Even a small lift and 35s would have been no issue at all. If anything it makes you a better driver.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Eddie totally. Having run Cliffhanger, Steelbender, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar all in a bone stock JLU Rubicon, raising a lifted jeep a couple extra inches for Moab isn't really necessary. I was dragging the center frequently but that's what skids are for. Even a small lift and 35s would have been no issue at all. If anything it makes you a better driver.

Sent via....

In all fairness, you're a hell of a good driver. But then, perhaps that's BECAUSE you've done so much wheeling in bone stock Jeeps :yup:

13_gecko_rubi

In all fairness, you're a hell of a good driver. But then, perhaps that's BECAUSE you've done so much wheeling in bone stock Jeeps :yup:
Chicken or the egg... Lol

Favorite part was ripping outta there on the dirt roads. Well until an rv got in way!

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Chicken or the egg... Lol

Favorite part was ripping outta there on the dirt roads. Well until an rv got in way!

Sent via....

:cheesy: You forgot to mention, "ON A NARROW FRICKEN SHELF ROAD" :eek:

In all the years I've been going out to Moab, that was a first :crazyeyes:

BillArnett

Sent via....

When my JLUR arrives it will have 37s and 2.5" of lift. So given what you've said all I need to do is learn how to deal with the longer wheelbase (and consequent smaller breakover angle) and I'll be fine. Or rather, I'll be limited by my skills not my Jeep's :) Which is a good thing.

Do you find the stock under-belly armor sufficient? Or should I be planning for more when it becomes available? (My JK has an extra gas tank skid and one under the engine/transmission.)

13_gecko_rubi

When my JLUR arrives it will have 37s and 2.5" of lift. So given what you've said all I need to do is learn how to deal with the longer wheelbase (and consequent smaller breakover angle) and I'll be fine. Or rather, I'll be limited by my skills not my Jeep's :) Which is a good thing.

Do you find the stock under-belly armor sufficient? Or should I be planning for more when it becomes available? (My JK has an extra gas tank skid and one under the engine/transmission.)
I think the stock armor will hold up pretty well. Time will tell

Sent via....

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

You have never worked on coilovers before have you? You will try that once and never do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

TITAN

I think the most telling part of this vid is the end where Eddie is driving and is giggling like a little kid at how awesome the ride is. That should be in an EVO Ad or something. :D