JL JOURNAL : NEW EVO JL Wrangler Coilovers / Long Arms & More - Moab EJS 2018

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Out at the 2018 Moab Easter Jeep Safari, Cindy and I got a chance to see some of the cool new products that EVO Manufacturing had installed on their Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. These parts include their all new JL Wrangler bolt on coil over kit that offers a whopping 15.5" of vertical travel, super clean long arm kit complete with high clearance brackets, redesigned rocker guards and front bumper that allows for the installation of a WARN Zeon 10 installed down between the frame rails. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you get to see these new products up close and learn more about them from Mel Wade himself. We hope you enjoy.

:thumb:

Jeeeep

that's awesome that it uses so many of the factory holes to align the brackets :thumb:

how fast were you going?

JAGS

Yeah, looks like I’ll need to pick one of my two kids to go to college. [emoji23][emoji23]

Been seeing pics from Mel and EVO on this. The vid is great. Love the new sliders and the lift kit is awesome!!

I honestly wonder how much it be with LAs and COs. And is the LA kit mandatory or could you run the same CO set up with the kit you got?

NFRs2000NYC

While I do love EVO products, I have to say, I really prefer the look of their JL sliders. Wished they made the "classic" version in JL fitment with the bolt on ability. Suspension is amazing as expected.

BillArnett

Looks great but what’s it like on the highway? Doesn’t all the flexiness mean severe body roll when cornering?

JLF

Epic coverage Eddie!

Couple of questions... Looks like Mel stayed with factory front drive shaft...? I'm guessing it was due to lack of aftermarket availability this early. With that added suspension travel and High Clearance Long Arm Kit, I imagine something like a J.E. Reel HD 1350 drive shaft would be ideal. Next, I noticed the rear bumper but would like more data if available? Was that the Pro Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier? Did Mel happen to mention any thoughts in making a version that can accommodate the factory backup sensors? Lastly, when can we expect another amazing installation video/write-up (like your previous budget boost one) featuring this bolt-on coilover kit?

One thing I've avoided all these years was really learning how to weld; semi-embarrassed to admit it, but the idea of welding is intimidating to me. However, with the concept that Mel has incorporated with factory bolt-on indexing has encouraged me to give it a go. I mean MIG welding doesn't look that hard to this youtube warrior.... ;)

Once again, Epic coverage!

Thank you Eddie.

Last edited:

MattAlpha

More well thought out capable modifications! I’m looking forward to seeing videos of Mel running that rig this week!

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Epic coverage Eddie!

Couple of questions... Looks like Mel stayed with factory front drive shaft...? I'm guessing it was due to lack of aftermarket availability this early. With that High Clearance Long Arm Kit, I imagine something like a J.E. Reel HD 1350 drive shaft would be ideal. Next, I noticed the rear bumper but would like more data if available? Was that the Pro Series Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier? Did Mel happen to mention any thoughts in making a version that can accommodate the factory backup sensors? Lastly, when can we expect another amazing installation video/write-up (like your previous budget boost one) featuring this bolt-on coilover kit?

One thing I've avoided all these years was really learning how to weld; semi-embarrassed to admit it, but the idea of welding is intimidating to me. However, with the concept that Mel has incorporated with factory bolt-on indexing has encouraged me to give it a go. I mean MIG welding doesn't look that hard to this youtube warrior.... ;)

Thank you Eddie.

I’m sure Mel is testing the factory stuff as much as possible to see what needs to be done to it long term, the exact same way Eddie and Cindy are doing with their JL. Also I’m sure that just like the jk if you keep the lift height down as much as possible you may not need aftermarket shafts. This is all just speculation but I’m sure most of what I said is true lol

Buster3479

Epic coverage Eddie!

Couple of questions... Looks like Mel stayed with factory front drive shaft...? I'm guessing it was due to lack of aftermarket availability this early. With that High Clearance Long Arm Kit, I imagine something like a J.E. Reel HD 1350 drive shaft would be ideal.

Thank you Eddie.

With the stock axle and FAD, does the front driveshaft even turn in 2wd?

Buster3479

This video makes me want a JL on 37s even more! I wonder if they'll be specific valving for 2 doors, and if the high clearance long arm kit will work the same, or if EVO will offer a mild stretch!

JLF

I’m sure Mel is testing the factory stuff as much as possible to see what needs to be done to it long term, the exact same way Eddie and Cindy are doing with their JL. Also I’m sure that just like the jk if you keep the lift height down as much as possible you may not need aftermarket shafts. This is all just speculation but I’m sure most of what I said is true lol

Yeah, lift height and suspension geometry being low isn't the concerning factor in this case as much as the suspension travel. From the excellent footage, I love the angles (low) but what a whopper we have in suspension travel potential. :eek: I wouldn't be surprised if the fine print on that bolt-on coilover kit for the front states that an "aftermarket front driveshaft is required." :yup:

Last edited:

MrGiant

Great stuff, very well thought out - I love the usage of factory bolt holes for mounting. The coilover and it's travel is a blast, absolute dream parts. Since the COG is low there should be no major problems with highway stability and cornering.
The front drive shaft thing....I think Mel would have mentioned it but extended brake lines were not talked about, and I do think the factory lines are too short for this amount of downtravel. We'll see

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app