Is the "Magic 100" still magic?

BillArnett

I double checked and a bone stock JK Unlimited running 225/75R16 tires measures 73.9" wide and has an advertised curb to curb turning radius of 41.20'. It's close but the JL Unlimited turns tighter.

Maybe the published specs are wrong? That would be odd. But the difference between 41.2 and 40.8 is only 0.4 ft or about 4.8 inches. I would be surprised if that made a noticeable difference without careful measurement. Something else is going on here.

13_gecko_rubi

Maybe the published specs are wrong? That would be odd. But the difference between 41.2 and 40.8 is only 0.4 ft or about 4.8 inches. I would be surprised if that made a noticeable difference without careful measurement. Something else is going on here.
The steering angle on the JLU is several degrees more than the JKU. But the wheelbase is also longer so one helps, one hurts. I can tell you the JLU is much more maneuverable on the trail and on road, parking lots etc. It's noticeable immediately.

Sent via....

BillArnett

The steering angle on the JLU is several degrees more than the JKU. But the wheelbase is also longer so one helps, one hurts. I can tell you the JLU is much more maneuverable on the trail and on road, parking lots etc. It's noticeable immediately.

Sent via....

Well, I hear you. But I don’t understand. Turning circle is the objective measure of maneuverability. Is it possible that the greater steering angle makes it SEEM to turn shorter even though it really isn’t?

(The JL is a bit wider, too, which doesn’t help. Adding wider tires with less backspacing won’t help any, either.)

Anyway, I’m coming from a JK 2-door. The JLU is going to be much worse in this respect. But I’m willing to live with that. (I learned how to make 3-point turns 50 years ago :)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well, I hear you. But I don’t understand. Turning circle is the objective measure of maneuverability. Is it possible that the greater steering angle makes it SEEM to turn shorter even though it really isn’t?

(The JL is a bit wider, too, which doesn’t help. Adding wider tires with less backspacing won’t help any, either.)

Anyway, I’m coming from a JK 2-door. The JLU is going to be much worse in this respect. But I’m willing to live with that. (I learned how to make 3-point turns 50 years ago :)

Why don’t you go test drive one? In the end, you are buying a Jeep for yourself, not someone else. See if you like it. If not, wait for a 2 door.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Don't know if you ever saw it before but here's a good link you might want to check out:
REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

Here's an accompanying video - fast forward to about 26:30 and you'll get some some cool stuff as well. Granted, we are comparing ProRock and not factory axles but you might still find it interesting.

I've owned and wheeled a 2-door JK, a 4-door JKU and now a 4-door JLUR which does have wider axles. What I can tell you is that there's no question that the improved steering angle of the JLU is significantly BETTER than a JKU and you can really feel it on the trail. Unless you need to drive in circles, this improvement really helps to negotiate tight obstacles.

13_gecko_rubi

You have to be an engineer :)

I am too so no offense. Go test drive one and a stock JKU. You'll see it's better

Sent via....

BillArnett

Don't know if you ever saw it before but here's a good link you might want to check out:
REVERE THE STEER - Rubicat Going Wide with 72.5" Dynatrac XD60 / PRO 1550 Front Axle

Here's an accompanying video - fast forward to about 26:30 and you'll get some some cool stuff as well. Granted, we are comparing ProRock and not factory axles but you might still find it interesting.

I've owned and wheeled a 2-door JK, a 4-door JKU and now a 4-door JLUR which does have wider axles. What I can tell you is that there's no question that the improved steering angle of the JLU is significantly BETTER than a JKU and you can really feel it on the trail. Unless you need to drive in circles, this improvement really helps to negotiate tight obstacles.

Thanks! That video was very informative.

It would be very interesting to see how Jet Li does in that same spot where you measured the turning circles.