Roof rack help

BJL

Wanted to get some advise from the group please. This is my first Jeep to own and i’m wanting to use a roof rack to hold cargo and stuff like hi lift jack. Was looking at Yakima just because I have items that I already own that I can reuse. I assume all the companies are all about the same. My question is which type of installation have you guys used, maybe back on the JK? The rain gutter on the JL go all the way across the side so that is an option using the Rain gutter towers. I won’t attach it on the freedom top part of the gutter! Another option is installing a permanent track system that the towers will attach to. So has anyone had success with drilling and installing in the hard top or should I play it safe with the less attractive rain gutter attachment?

Thanks!

JTCO

Meme King
Are you planning on ever putting a soft top on? If so, a roof rack may not be the best option. Also as far as a hilift jack, are you sure you want one? They are rarely if ever used on the trail. Also, with the jack on the roof rack, weight up high isn't the best thing for offroad use, you want your center of gravity low. Now if this is all for looks, knock yourself out.

NFRs2000NYC

Agree with the hilift comment...bought one, never used it. The OEM jack plus a lump of wood or the AEV jack base is good enough. As for a roof rack, it depends on what you are planning on putting up there. Yakima rails are not a roofrack...they will hold a kayak but not any real weight without threatening the structure of the top. Racks like gobi are exo skeleton racks and float above your top and are solid, and racks like AEV or frontrunner bolt THROUGH the top to the cage...but that requires drilling holes in the top and taking the top off becomes more difficult. It all depends on what your goal is with the rack. Also you should know the negatives of the rack, like making the jeep more unstable, add a ton of drag (MPG get even worse), etc.....but they do have their uses (extended travel and living in the jeep) and unless you want to tow an offroad trailer, they are your only real way to expand the cargo capacity.

BJL

Are you planning on ever putting a soft top on? If so, a roof rack may not be the best option. Also as far as a hilift jack, are you sure you want one? They are rarely if ever used on the trail. Also, with the jack on the roof rack, weight up high isn't the best thing for offroad use, you want your center of gravity low. Now if this is all for looks, knock yourself out.

Thank you for the hilift info! I’ve watched a lot of off road videos but never seen how a tire change was performed. I just assumed it was needed to change the tire with a lift. GOOD to know :yup:

BJL

Agree with the hilift comment...bought one, never used it. The OEM jack plus a lump of wood or the AEV jack base is good enough. As for a roof rack, it depends on what you are planning on putting up there. Yakima rails are not a roofrack...they will hold a kayak but not any real weight without threatening the structure of the top. Racks like gobi are exo skeleton racks and float above your top and are solid, and racks like AEV or frontrunner bolt THROUGH the top to the cage...but that requires drilling holes in the top and taking the top off becomes more difficult. It all depends on what your goal is with the rack. Also you should know the negatives of the rack, like making the jeep more unstable, add a ton of drag (MPG get even worse), etc.....but they do have their uses (extended travel and living in the jeep) and unless you want to tow an offroad trailer, they are your only real way to expand the cargo capacity.

Thank you as well for the helpful info! I have a family of four and hope to do some camping so I would like the extra cargo. Also maybe skis in the winter time! I’m still stuck which way to go. With both systems I can take it off for the majority of the time. Has anyone used the rain gutter system? How well did it work? I would hate to scratch up my roof taking them on and off. The track system would be easier taking the cross bars on and off BUT I have to drill into the top to install it. :crazyeyes:

NFRs2000NYC

The rain gutter systems, like the smittybilt defender racks are perfectly ok, but again, depends on the cargo. If you do kayaks, skis, bikes, etc, you're good. They will not support a roof top tent, or anything of real weight. You can definitely get one fiberglass packs that you can put your clothes and stuff into, basically anything that's relatively light weight. Their moving load rating I think is like 150lbs or something like that. You can also get a hitch shelf, which will allow you to keep a fair amount of cargo as well, but it will intrude on opening the tailgate, as well as getting hung up on obstacles offroad. For me personally, when I was looking for a rack for my JK, it was going to be the defender rack. I wanted a half rack that was no drill, and that fit the bill. Now that I plan on getting a JL, I am changing my strategy and getting what is best for the way I travel, which will be the URSA Minor hard top.

ocrejects

Thank you as well for the helpful info! I have a family of four and hope to do some camping so I would like the extra cargo. Also maybe skis in the winter time! I’m still stuck which way to go. With both systems I can take it off for the majority of the time. Has anyone used the rain gutter system? How well did it work? I would hate to scratch up my roof taking them on and off. The track system would be easier taking the cross bars on and off BUT I have to drill into the top to install it. :crazyeyes:

Just an FYI, the rain gutter system has been around for a long time and work great I’ll do the same on the JL. I’m not going to drill hole my $50,000 vehicle, case closed! :)

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BJL

Just an FYI, the rain gutter system has been around for a long time and work great I’ll do the same on the JL. I’m not going to drill hole my $50,000 vehicle, case closed! :)

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I think the rain gutter system is the way I’m leaning towards, plus it’s cheaper. That will leave me money to buy other things, theirs so much I want to get!

Thanks again for the input!

Cheers

I think the rain gutter system is the way I’m leaning towards, plus it’s cheaper. That will leave me money to buy other things, theirs so much I want to get!

Thanks again for the input!

Cheers

I have a 17’ aluminum canoe and the Yakima rack from my old explorer weighs 75lbs alone, the canoe another 75-90. The Yakima rain gutter holders say no more than 100lbs.....

I’ve been trying to find out more about what Mopar showed off at SEMA, but there’s nothing even on the Mopar site? Anybody got any news on that front? The AEV kit for the JK drilled through the hardtop and used spacers straight to the roll cage so I’d imagine that’s the best structurally, but damn that sounds like a lot of things that could go wrong on install.....

sharkey

Word Ninja
If you don't mind spending the money, I think the Rhino racks are the best top mounted rack system out there. The profile on the hard top is fantastic.

Tdsullivan7

Yup! That’s it and the last sentence sucks for me.... “Not recommended for water sports, canoe or paddle board carriers.”

I just finished installing the Maxumux 3 and Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my hard top JL. The whole setup is very sturdy and versatile. I will be using a roof-top tent and carrying kayaks. Still working out the easiest way to remove the hard top when I want to go topless....

I just finished installing the Maxumux 3 and Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform on my hard top JL. The whole setup is very sturdy and versatile. I will be using a roof-top tent and carrying kayaks. Still working out the easiest way to remove the hard top when I want to go topless....

Does that one have the internal support brace or use a spacer between the top and the sport bar?

Tdsullivan7

Does that one have the internal support brace or use a spacer between the top and the sport bar?

4 braces attach to the sport bar. Very clean and sturdy, however, the front two braces create a bit of a challenge when you want to remove the top.

Last edited: