JL JOURNAL : 2.5" EVO Stage 4 JL Wrangler Lift Kit INSTALLATION

JLjeepster

Shocks

My shop told me fox shocks don’t fit the JLs. Except for what comes in the Mopar lift kit. You know if this is true Eddie?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My shop told me fox shocks don’t fit the JLs. Except for what comes in the Mopar lift kit. You know if this is true Eddie?

There is truth to what you're being told. In the rear, the upper shock mounts on the JL have a really long crush sleeve. To the best of my knowledge, the Mopar Fox Shock and the Rancho RS5000X made for the JL are the only ones that are made to work or at least, out of the box and without having to do anything else. Of course, I'm sure this will change sooner than later.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like Kings Shocks are now available for the JL as well.

Kings are essentially custom shocks and I have no doubt you can have a set made however you want. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they have some "available" now but I personally wouldn't spend any money on them or at least, not as of yet. EVO has been shock tuning for a while now and should have some available and dialed in for a JL soon.

JLjeepster

Wondering what I should do. I need to make a decision by next week. Might be a dumb reason but I don’t like the rancho shocks because of the colors. The red and white will stand out too much and not match the Jeep. So my 2 options are stick with factory or go king shocks?

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Wondering what I should do. I need to make a decision by next week. Might be a dumb reason but I don’t like the rancho shocks because of the colors. The red and white will stand out too much and not match the Jeep. So my 2 options are stick with factory or go king shocks?

The Rancho are white. The boot comes red but you can order other colors. You could paint the shock if you think it’s necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

I have the outrageously, ridiculously, embarrassingly expensive King 25001-373 remote reservoir front shocks and King 25001-374 piggy-back reservoir rear shocks. I don’t have a lot of experience with different shocks so all I can say is that these seem to work just fine on my JL. I continue to be amazed at how well my JL handles even with 37” tires and a lift. Perhaps the King shocks are part of the answer.

JrBiem

I'm trying to decide between the Evo Enforcer 2.5 & 3.5 stage 1 kits with shock extensions to start out. My new JLU sport has 315/70r17 nitto trail grapplers on the stock 7.5" wide steel wheels, and 1.75" spidertrax wheel spacers. I know 2.5 will be good now, but will it work out later with flat fenders and 37s if I decide to go that route?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to decide between the Evo Enforcer 2.5 & 3.5 stage 1 kits with shock extensions to start out. My new JLU sport has 315/70r17 nitto trail grapplers on the stock 7.5" wide steel wheels, and 1.75" spidertrax wheel spacers. I know 2.5 will be good now, but will it work out later with flat fenders and 37s if I decide to go that route?

As you can see in this video, we ran 37's with the 2.5" coil spacers. I think lift coils would do it even better. Being that you'll be starting off with 315's, I might recommend you stick with this as going 3.5" right off the back will give you too much lift and make your tires look really small.

JrBiem

As you can see in this video, we ran 37's with the 2.5" coil spacers. I think lift coils would do it even better. Being that you'll be starting off with 315's, I might recommend you stick with this as going 3.5" right off the back will give you too much lift and make your tires look really small.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's the direction I was leaning, just wasn't sure how big a difference there was between Rubi & sport flares. I'll get one ordered up along with some JKS quick disconnects.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply. That's the direction I was leaning, just wasn't sure how big a difference there was between Rubi & sport flares. I'll get one ordered up along with some JKS quick disconnects.

Ah - wait, I totally missed the part where you have a Sport. The front fenders on a Rubicon sit about 1.5" higher than a Sport and the rear fenders sit about .5" higher. That being said, I might go with the 3.5" coils if you're planning to run 37's some day.

JrBiem

Ah - wait, I totally missed the part where you have a Sport. The front fenders on a Rubicon sit about 1.5" higher than a Sport and the rear fenders sit about .5" higher. That being said, I might go with the 3.5" coils if you're planning to run 37's some day.

Rgr that. I do plan to eventually go to 37's. But if 2.5 will work with the 315's and stock sport fenders then I'm still leaning that way, and going to flat fenders when I do 37s. What do you think of that scenario?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rgr that. I do plan to eventually go to 37's. But if 2.5 will work with the 315's and stock sport fenders then I'm still leaning that way, and going to flat fenders when I do 37s. What do you think of that scenario?

Yup, that'd work. Honestly, you could remove the fender liners and trim on the factory fenders and make it work too. FREE of charge. :yup:

JrBiem

Yup, that'd work. Honestly, you could remove the fender liners and trim on the factory fenders and make it work too. FREE of charge. :yup:

Yea, that'd be an option too. I saw that the rubi flares have a removable section on the bottom and Artec makes a reinforcement bracket for them with marker lights built in...wonder if that's the same on the sport version?

Thanks for the chat tonight, I've officially settled on the 2.5 enforcer stage 1 with shock extensions to start. Then I'll start thinking about shocks! :beer::thumb: