Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: WRITE-UP : JL WRANGLER 2.5" EVO Stage 4 Boost Lift & Control Arms INSTALLATION

  1. #11
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,044
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Awesome write-up. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
    Thank you. It was a hell of an undertaking but hopefully, it'll be helpful to others

    Quote Originally Posted by Strike Force Zebra View Post
    Two questions, does this stick out of the frame? Do the “tails” stay out?

    And I missed it but does the caster in the front go back to 4 degrees like the JK?
    Yes, the flag on the nut or "tails" stay out of the frame rail. And yes, factory caster is +4° or at least, that's what my angle finder showed before installing the lift.

  2. #12
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,044
    Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    The castor isn't directly related to tire size. You could put any tire you want on and if you don't lift it the castor will stay same.

    Whenever you lift the vehicle, you are lowering the axle with respect to the frame so the castor will be off and you need to adjust it back. Even a small 1" lift will change it. If you don't the loss of castor reduces the auto centering of the tires and you steering feels flighty. One nice thing about the JL is with FAD the front driveshaft isn't spinning so u can run a tad mote castor and won't get driveline vibration in 2wd. Will still be out in 4wd so don't want to get too aggressive. On my aftermarket axles I had them set so I can run almost 10 deg castor, auto centering for days lol.

    Sent via....
    Yup, what this guy said ^^^^

    kinda nice that companies like Dynatrac build in +6° of caster into their axles but with locking hubs, it sure is nice to add in a bit more.

  3. #13
    Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    806
    Amazing writeup and video, wow that takes a lot of work. The photo of the table in the first image tells us everything about your OCD for neatness and detail and the quality of the write up. Awesome knowledge and definitely a great help. You dont think an adjustable trackbar would be beneficial to square things back up? I know the axle shifts based on load, but figured it would be good to have it centered at rest no?

  4. #14
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,044
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    Amazing writeup and video, wow that takes a lot of work. The photo of the table in the first image tells us everything about your OCD for neatness and detail and the quality of the write up. Awesome knowledge and definitely a great help. You dont think an adjustable trackbar would be beneficial to square things back up? I know the axle shifts based on load, but figured it would be good to have it centered at rest no?
    Sure, an adjustable track bars would be nice to have but they're far from needed. Technically, your axles are always off just a bit one way or the other depending on how much weight you have in your Jeep. That being said, we'll probably install a set once they're available and if they're any good.

  5. #15
    Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    806
    I also heard wrapping the threaded ends of the CA's in electrical tape keep them super clean for if/when you need to service them, the threads dont have dirt/sand built up clogging them up. Also had a question, I didnt see a step where you greased the CA's....do they come loaded with grease already?

  6. #16
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    7,044
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    I also heard wrapping the threaded ends of the CA's in electrical tape keep them super clean for if/when you need to service them, the threads dont have dirt/sand built up clogging them up. Also had a question, I didnt see a step where you greased the CA's....do they come loaded with grease already?
    Most of the time, control arm joints will just have an assembly lube in them but these were loaded up with grease. I can only assume that EVO did this before shipping them out.

  7. #17
    Supporting Advertiser
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the answers! I saw a JL that had those “flags” outside the frame the other day and thought they would get hit pretty fast! Assumed the 4* castor but thought I’d ask. It’s amazing how many people don’t get that part after adding a lift. Great info and well put together, yet I wouldn’t expect anything less. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  8. #18
    Been Around the Block MrGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by BillArnett View Post
    <rant>
    It seems like all the factory bolts are metric and all the EVO ones are “standard”. Life would be a lot easier if everyone just used metric!

    It’s all Ronald Reagan’s fault. His predecessor started the US on metric conversion. Reagan canceled it. If we had just kept going it would all be done by now and inches and pounds would have receded into history along with cubits and stones. Grrrr.

    God only knows how many billions of dollars it costs us each year to be using different measures than the rest of the world.
    </rant>

    With that out of the way, nice write up Eddie! I was wondering how to set the caster, imagining an angle finder tool or something. Just using the right length in the first place is way easier! (Of course, it will have to be readjusted if different springs are used later but for now, really easy :-)

    Question: does the caster angle need to be changed if different sized tires are used?
    LOL!!!!!
    it's all Reagan's fault you made me laugh so hard, you can't imagine
    But I agree, if everything on jeeps would be metric, life would be easier ;-) (especially for europeans with american cars :-P)

    whatever, nice write up eddie!......who needs mechanics anyway?
    Mr.Giant - '92 YJ, Flat Black
    Giant 2 - '18 JLUR, Bright White

  9. #19
    Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Most of the time, control arm joints will just have an assembly lube in them but these were loaded up with grease. I can only assume that EVO did this before shipping them out.
    Followup noob question.....how does one know if something is already greased? It is something you can see?

  10. #20
    Guy with a Red 2-Door Cozdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    West Chester, PA
    Posts
    874
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    Followup noob question.....how does one know if something is already greased? It is something you can see?
    Always assume it isn’t greased is the motto I like to follow.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •