Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Pebbles & debris caught between fender fares & body of JL

  1. #1
    Been Around the Block LauraRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    420

    Pebbles & debris caught between fender fares & body of JL

    Has anyone else experienced having pebbles or other debris caught in the groove between the fender flare and the body of their JL?

    The debris gets tightly wedged, and is difficult to remove. I had to gently separate the fender fare from the body and side a thin firm piece of plastic through to free the stones...i was cringing the entire time!

    Does anyone have advice on whether to apply a bead of clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant?... or is there a better fix?

    Thank you,

    Laura Rose K., Pennsylvania20180317_211111.jpg

    Laura Rose from PA
    1990 YJ
    2018 JL

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraRose View Post
    Has anyone else experienced having pebbles or other debris caught in the groove between the fender flare and the body of their JL?

    The debris gets tightly wedged, and is difficult to remove. I had to gently separate the fender fare from the body and side a thin firm piece of plastic through to free the stones...i was cringing the entire time!

    Does anyone have advice on whether to apply a bead of clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant?... or is there a better fix?

    Thank you,

    Laura Rose K., Pennsylvania20180317_211111.jpg

    Laura Rose from PA
    Yeah, somewhere Eddie (WAYALIFE) noted that debris got caught there when driving in sand. Various fixes were discussed.

    Did a quick search but couldnít find it. I suppose it could have been on the wayalife forum?


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  3. #3
    Been Around the Block LauraRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    420
    I also searched both sites & couldn't find info. I'll check again, thank you for your feedback!

    Laura Rose from PA
    1990 YJ
    2018 JL

  4. #4
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,278
    Yup, itís an issue. Couple people were trying to get some fixes but I havenít heard.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  5. #5
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Central California Coast
    Posts
    1
    I'd think that fender welting like that found on cars from the '30's and '40's would be an easy cure. And it wouldn't look bad. AND, unlike a bead of caulk, it could be easily removed.

  6. #6
    Fresh Catch Pipebndr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Napa Ca
    Posts
    11

    Fender welting

    I posted this before and said I would report back if it works BUT Iím still waiting for my JLUR to try this on. So I couldnít find the original post so here is what Iím going to try.

    https://www.bobdrake.com/fenderwelting

  7. #7
    Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebndr View Post
    I posted this before and said I would report back if it works BUT I’m still waiting for my JLUR to try this on. So I couldn’t find the original post so here is what I’m going to try.

    https://www.bobdrake.com/fenderwelting
    What do you do with that stuff? Loosen the fender from the body and put it in between?

  8. #8
    Fresh Catch Pipebndr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Napa Ca
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobycarolanNC View Post
    What do you do with that stuff? Loosen the fender from the body and put it in between?
    Yes, back in the 30s and 40s this is how the manufactures solved the problem. VW did this also.

  9. #9
    Been Around the Block scoobycarolanNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipebndr View Post
    Yes, back in the 30s and 40s this is how the manufactures solved the problem. VW did this also.
    I watched a couple of install videos on YouTube. Looks like it’s tough to setup correctly and requires nearly completely unbolting the vendors from the body. Anybody looked much at how the new fenders attach? I think they’re clips like the jk so it may be tough to install.

    I found this stuff and am going to look into it.
    086F90A9-3D9D-4D96-9E40-F97F621F6846.jpeg
    Last edited by scoobycarolanNC; 03-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    14
    Maybe a plasti-dip bead?
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Ocean Blue Metallic, Manual (Ordered mid-Feb!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •