Pebbles & debris caught between fender fares & body of JL

LauraRose

Has anyone else experienced having pebbles or other debris caught in the groove between the fender flare and the body of their JL?

The debris gets tightly wedged, and is difficult to remove. I had to gently separate the fender fare from the body and side a thin firm piece of plastic through to free the stones...i was cringing the entire time!

Does anyone have advice on whether to apply a bead of clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant?... or is there a better fix?

Thank you,

Laura Rose K., Pennsylvania20180317_211111.jpg

Laura Rose from PA

Has anyone else experienced having pebbles or other debris caught in the groove between the fender flare and the body of their JL?

The debris gets tightly wedged, and is difficult to remove. I had to gently separate the fender fare from the body and side a thin firm piece of plastic through to free the stones...i was cringing the entire time!

Does anyone have advice on whether to apply a bead of clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant?... or is there a better fix?

Thank you,

Laura Rose K., PennsylvaniaView attachment 1572

Laura Rose from PA

Yeah, somewhere Eddie (WAYALIFE) noted that debris got caught there when driving in sand. Various fixes were discussed.

Did a quick search but couldn’t find it. I suppose it could have been on the wayalife forum?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LauraRose

I also searched both sites & couldn't find info. I'll check again, thank you for your feedback!

Laura Rose from PA

any4xx

I'd think that fender welting like that found on cars from the '30's and '40's would be an easy cure. And it wouldn't look bad. AND, unlike a bead of caulk, it could be easily removed.

Yes, back in the 30s and 40s this is how the manufactures solved the problem. VW did this also.

I watched a couple of install videos on YouTube. Looks like it’s tough to setup correctly and requires nearly completely unbolting the vendors from the body. Anybody looked much at how the new fenders attach? I think they’re clips like the jk so it may be tough to install.

I found this stuff and am going to look into it.
086F90A9-3D9D-4D96-9E40-F97F621F6846.jpeg

Last edited:

JTCO

Meme King
FYI, happens on non-painted fenders as well. Just over 100 miles on this one. Both sides have it.

IMG_20191009_212748.jpg

gravydb

This thread caught my eye. I’m a Jeep noob, bought a 2018 Sahara JL 4-door 2 weeks ago. Immediately noticed how debris likes to collect in that gap between the fender and the body. Started wondering how to address it and boom I found this thread! Looks like it’s been a while since a few of you tried the rubber insert - how is it working? How is it holding up? Any further thoughts on the hollow vs solid? Stuff is cheap on amazon, so I’ll probably give it a shot soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put the weatherstrip in like Eddie showed in a video. It doesn't stay in place though over time, especially when fenders may push up against trees lightly or any flex. Front weatherstrips seemed to stay in tact but my rears were always either coming out or falling down in. I just removed them. I just deal with the pepples and stuff. Doesn't really bother me as much as it use too.