ON the GO PHOTOS : Miscellaneous Pics from Cindy & Eddie!

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I knew it was only a matter of time. looks good. You mentioned in the flex vid how there was extra qtr panel lower, but I honestly don’t think it matters.

Now just put that soft top on. You’ll be amazed. It’s awesome in combo with aluminum doors and noise reduction premium sound.

Damn! That way sucks. Think I’ll be pulling the bumper too before I hit any hard stuff. Thanks for posting this up.

Yours is plastic. Probably won’t do anything cause the bumper will dent.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JeepFan

Wow, that really sucks! I wonder what surprises I will find when I remove my rear bumper. [emoji16]

These steel bumpers aren't worth the money they charge for them.

JAGS

Yours is plastic. Probably won’t do anything cause the bumper will dent.

Good point. Eddie saying a bolt is what caused it...so maybe could even with the plastic bumper?

Hey Eddie...I’m actually curious thinking about it again. Would this same bolt come in to play even on an aftermarket bumper. Or was it unique to the factory bumper?

In any case, I’m safe for a little while as I’m saving for lift/etc.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good point. Eddie saying a bolt is what caused it...so maybe could even with the plastic bumper?

Hey Eddie...I’m actually curious thinking about it again. Would this same bolt come in to play even on an aftermarket bumper. Or was it unique to the factory bumper?

In any case, I’m safe for a little while as I’m saving for lift/etc.

It's possible. The bolt secures the steel bumper to the steel sub-structure. If your plastic bumper is secured to the sub-structure with the same bolt, it could potentially do the same damage but as Adam pointed out, your bumper would most likely collapse before this occurred.

NFRs2000NYC

So this happens when you offroad, because the body is moving around? This would be a concern when shopping for aftermarket bumpers. Would be interested to hear LOD for instance comment on this issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So this happens when you offroad, because the body is moving around? This would be a concern when shopping for aftermarket bumpers. Would be interested to hear LOD for instance comment on this issue.

I think it's a combination of things. Yes, the body mounts on the JL are like what the JK had and they're more of an isolator than a rubber puck like the TJ had. This offers a much nicer ride but does allow for a LOT more movement of the body. The other problem is that the bumper tends to move in it's mounts or at least, from what we've seen. A good hit or even dragging the bumper can cause it to move upward and bring it MUCH CLOSER to the body. Tightening the mounting nuts will help but I found it won't eliminate this problem.

LoD Offroad

Advertiser
Supporter
We don't have any protruding bolts like that in there :) Ours not only mounts in a more solid manner but also will not flex like the stock steel bumper, so this won't be an issue. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn’t seem as though the factory steel bumper flexed. In fact, if it did, I think there would be bigger issues. I would assume more of the tub moving up and down.

You know, Cindy and I were going through the footage we took in Moab and we could see where the rear bumper made contact with the body or at least, in one instance. It was going through the Golden crack and we were dragging the bumper through - very slowly and it looks like it shifted or moved in its mount and enough so to allow it to make contact. We'll be including it in our upcoming Moab video. Needless to say, I think this problem might be a combination of things but of course, we've removed ours so all is good now :)

You know, Cindy and I were going through the footage we took in Moab and we could see where the rear bumper made contact with the body or at least, in one instance. It was going through the Golden crack and we were dragging the bumper through - very slowly and it looks like it shifted or moved in its mount and enough so to allow it to make contact. We'll be including it in our upcoming Moab video. Needless to say, I think this problem might be a combination of things but of course, we've removed ours so all is good now :)

Was that your factory rear bumper that did this?

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

I noticed that in the video. Was it the hardware that allowed it to move? Any idea. Weird issue.