ON the GO PHOTOS : Miscellaneous Pics from Cindy & Eddie!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those look really good!

Thanks! While we ran body mounted rocker guards on our old TJ, I can't say that we've been a fan of them on the JK or JL if only because of how thin the sheet metal is. However, they do look really sharp and I'm hoping they'll be up to the task.

Nice! Can't wait to see those Trail Tested. Also, I may be sick but I love doing nutserts. 🙃

LOL!! With the right tool, installing nutserts isn't so bad. What sucks is if you get just ONE hole off a bit :eek: :rolleyes2:

Oh no...all those holes!!! I’m guessing they’ll get trailrated soon. [emoji106]

:cheesy: Oh yeah, there's no turning back now.

Those look damn nice! Let’s see how they hold up.

We'll put them to the test for sure. If nothing else, the advantage of body mounted rocker guards is that they offer more ground clearance. Compared to the frame mounted rocker guards we were running, we've gained at least an inch off the lowest point. :yup:

Those look good!

Thanks, they were a bitch to install so I'm glad it was worth it if only for how they look. :crazyeyes:

Looks good.

Never too many holes.

LOL - too funny.

I love that look!

Thanks. :cool:

JeepJL

Those look great. After watching a side airbag deployment on Pritchett from an impact to a rock on body mounted sliders I’m too nervous to go that route now. Can you remove them and just run the skin if you want to change? Wonder why EVO didn’t counter sink the body mounted hardware this round.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Those look great. After watching a side airbag deployment on Pritchett from an impact to a rock on body mounted sliders I’m too nervous to go that route now.

Honestly, I've seen a side airbag deployment just from a hard landing after a jump on the dunes. In other words, I wouldn't necessarily attribute what you saw as being specifically related to body mounted sliders.

Can you remove them and just run the skin if you want to change?

Yes, however, on these rocker guards, the skins have mounting tabs that allow you to tie everything together for greater strength. EVO will offer plain skins as well though and they will bolt up using the same holes.

Wonder why EVO didn’t counter sink the body mounted hardware this round.

If I could guess, it's so that you can have more wiggle room. Drilling into the body perfectly can be tough and it's easy to install a nutsert just a bit off. Tapered counter sunk holes would demand a greater level of accuracy or at least, to make them look good once installed. Button head bolts with washers would allow you to have slightly bigger holes and ones that could be hidden by the washers and everything still looks good. But of course, this is just a best guess.

JeepJL

If I could guess, it's so that you can have more wiggle room. Drilling into the body perfectly can be tough and it's easy to install a nutsert just a bit off. Tapered counter sunk holes would demand a greater level of accuracy or at least, to make them look good once installed. Button head bolts with washers would allow you to have slightly bigger holes and ones that could be hidden by the washers and everything still looks good. But of course, this is just a best guess.

I bet that’s a pretty good guess and good thinking. I agree it was pretty difficult getting the nurserts perfectly centered.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I bet that’s a pretty good guess and good thinking. I agree it was pretty difficult getting the nurserts perfectly centered.

On the TJ, YJ and CJ, it's not that hard to do being that the body panel is completely flat and straight. On the JK and now the JL, the body is curved and that makes it hard to get the skin perfectly flat and make accurate holes. I really took my time on these and still had a couple that were just a hair off. I was glad to have the extra wiggle room to make it all work anyway. :yup:

MrGiant

Even with a technical job and experience in metal work I imagine drilling and installing the nutserts into the body to be pretty risky. Do you make a How to video?
I am thinking about how to seal the threads and prevent rubbing of the skins on the paint in the case of an impact, causing scratches and korrosion over the time. Are there isolators on the back or something soft?
How do they keep up when you step on them?

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even with a technical job and experience in metal work I imagine drilling and installing the nutserts into the body to be pretty risky. Do you make a How to video?
I am thinking about how to seal the threads and prevent rubbing of the skins on the paint in the case of an impact, causing scratches and korrosion over the time. Are there isolators on the back or something soft?
How do they keep up when you step on them?

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

We'll have an install video of this coming soon. In it, I show how to do all this. In regards to some kind of isolator, I did not install one. Long ago, back when I still had my TJ, I installed body mounted rocker guards and used a gasket like material that was being sold at the time for something just like this - it was WORSE than just leaving well enough alone. The best thing I can recommend you do is to apply some RTV or other silicon sealant along the edges of the rocker guard. That will prevent dirt, small stones and/or debris from getting in between the rocker guards and body. Having done this on my JK has proven to work the best and I know because I've had to remove my skins in the past and see how things looked like underneath.

MrGiant

Thank you for the input! This siliconw sealant stuff was another option in my mind, just in case I drill my jeep into swiss cheese...
On my YJ, I just bolted the guards on. But thats another thing than an more than 70k JL

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
We'll have an install video of this coming soon. In it, I show how to do all this. In regards to some kind of isolator, I did not install one. Long ago, back when I still had my TJ, I installed body mounted rocker guards and used a gasket like material that was being sold at the time for something just like this - it was WORSE than just leaving well enough alone. The best thing I can recommend you do is to apply some RTV or other silicon sealant along the edges of the rocker guard. That will prevent dirt, small stones and/or debris from getting in between the rocker guards and body. Having done this on my JK has proven to work the best and I know because I've had to remove my skins in the past and see how things looked like underneath.

That and I put a bead of Clear RTV around the top perimeter of mine on my JK and there is no rust or anything behind there. Granted I live on the west coast and not the east.

Jdofmemi

The more I see it the more I want to make one my next work truck.

Need the see if the diesel will tow more.

Can't wait to see what EVO does with it.