2018 JLUR performance mod consideration - feedback please

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, I don't believe any of the things on that link are designed for a JL Wrangler. Second, you're kidding yourself if you really think a chip, programmer or cold air intake will do anything to improve the performance of your Jeep.

JTCO

Meme King
Leave it stock. The engineers work their asses off to maximize horsepower and fuel economy to achieve the perfect balance between the two. If you're itching to spend money though, send it to me instead and I'll send you some badass performance stickers for your Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Leave it stock. The engineers work their asses off to maximize horsepower and fuel economy to achieve the perfect balance between the two. If you're itching to spend money though, send it to me instead and I'll send you some badass performance stickers for your Jeep.

What kind of HP gains can I expect from the sticker? :thumb:

BillyHW

I think the only thing you can do to the V6 to really improve performance is install a supercharger kit. It's expensive and I would imagine it would void your warranty.

JLU_RUBI

On some NA engines intake manifolds can add decent HP in the 10-20 HP range.

But overall engineers have squeeezed about as much out of the 3.6 while maintaining reliability and drivability that you’re going to get.

I opted for the 2.0 T engine because of my belief that it’s going to perform better than the 3.6 stock, but also it’s a forced induction engine. Tuning can actually net 20-30 HP while running 93 octane fuel on a forced induction engine over stock spec. You obviously give up any warranty consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the only thing you can do to the V6 to really improve performance is install a supercharger kit. It's expensive and I would imagine it would void your warranty.

Superchargers are a total waste of money or at least, in my opinion. Sure, they give a little more power but nothing to write home about especially when it comes in at all at the wrong time off road. Re-gearing will do more for you in terms of getting lost power back and it costs a hell of a lot less to do. Of course, that's just me.

offcamber

Has a chip performer ever worked on any vehicle?

I had a superchips Traildash 2 for my 2012 JK. Didn't get it for the tunes, but rather to change gear ratio in the computer, tire size, etc. I decided to test the tunes and tried each of them for a week and then tested them using the built in g-meter in the Traildash. The tunes change the pedal mapping and it feels much more responsive, but that was just it. It FELT quicker but the best performance was the stock tune by .1 sec consistently.

BillArnett

I had a superchips Traildash 2 for my 2012 JK. Didn't get it for the tunes, but rather to change gear ratio in the computer, tire size, etc. I decided to test the tunes and tried each of them for a week and then tested them using the built in g-meter in the Traildash. The tunes change the pedal mapping and it feels much more responsive, but that was just it. It FELT quicker but the best performance was the stock tune by .1 sec consistently.

If there was a “tuner” that could just change the throttle mapping without messing with any of the actual engine tuning that might actually be pretty useful. Land Rover does that in some of their modes.

adamle

On some NA engines intake manifolds can add decent HP in the 10-20 HP range.

But overall engineers have squeeezed about as much out of the 3.6 while maintaining reliability and drivability that you’re going to get.

I opted for the 2.0 T engine because of my belief that it’s going to perform better than the 3.6 stock, but also it’s a forced induction engine. Tuning can actually net 20-30 HP while running 93 octane fuel on a forced induction engine over stock spec. You obviously give up any warranty consideration.

Do you have the 2.0 T Rubi yet? How are you loving it?