JET Li LIFTED PICS - EVO 2.5" JL Wrangler Boost Stage 4 Lift Kit

BillArnett

Thanks! Glad to be of help :)

No rubbing at a full lock. Up front, I have very minor rubbing at a full stuff and partial turn. In the rear, we had LOTS of rubbing that needed to be addressed. I highly doubt you could run 37x13.50's with the Mopar 2" lift or at least, not without A LOT of rubbing.

I've got a bunch of pics that show all the problem spots and I hope to get them up soon.

Are you saying that an extra 1/2 inch would make a lot of difference? Do you think all the rubbing would be fixed by going to flat fenders (in either the EVO or Mopar cases)?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you saying that an extra 1/2 inch would make a lot of difference? Do you think all the rubbing would be fixed by going to flat fenders (in either the EVO or Mopar cases)?

It's not just the 1/2", it's the bump stop extensions that come with the EVO kit that make a BIG difference. Also, we got the optional adjustable control arms and set ours to help address the issues with caster, pinion and axle position. Not sure you'd need to go flat fender - removing the fender liners might be all that you need to do.

RockingK

Looks great as is, can’t imagine a DD better than 37’s fitting with a low COG stance 2.5 lift and more capable than what you showed us in the First Dirt video/photos stock. I’m sure we all try to get to a street legal rock buggy/pre-runner capable rig, but damn, that may be the particle rig (unicorn) we all try to find.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great as is, can’t imagine a DD better than 37’s fitting with a low COG stance 2.5 lift and more capable than what you showed us in the First Dirt video/photos stock. I’m sure we all try to get to a street legal rock buggy/pre-runner capable rig, but damn, that may be the particle rig (unicorn) we all try to find.

LOL! I dunno, I kinda feel like Moby is all that and he's a big white whale :crazyeyes:

BillArnett

It's not just the 1/2", it's the bump stop extensions that come with the EVO kit that make a BIG difference. Also, we got the optional adjustable control arms and set ours to help address the issues with caster, pinion and axle position. Not sure you'd need to go flat fender - removing the fender liners might be all that you need to do.

Before I go on, let me say that I HUGELY appreciate all the effort you're putting into this. It is enormously valuable for me to see what you're doing so I don't have to make a lot of mistakes and then try to fix them. And your videos and write ups and just plain photos are really good quality (unlike what we typically see on those other forums :) which helps a lot. You are my guiding star, Eddie!

So, the Mopar kit comes with slightly longer lower front control arms which are presumably just the right length to correct the caster. And bump stop extensions which presumably keep are sufficient to make 35s not rub with the stock wheels. And it was my impression that with a 2" lift the axle position and pinion angle are off by a small enough amount that it's ok to ignore.

I'm not sure why I'm so fixated on the Mopar lift. Maybe because IF I can get away with 35x13.5 tires and just that much lift and flat fenders (which I want anyway) then i'll be happy and not need any further fussing. (Suspension fussing, that is, of course, i'll be replacing the bumpers etc.) i'm not too concerned (for now at least) with trying to get more articulation.

What I am concerned with when choosing between 35s and 37s is the street performance. Not so much the ride quality as with cornering. I can get by with some harshness but I hate body roll and vague steering. My other car is a Tesla Model S which despite appearances handles amazingly well (mostly due to its very low CG). Obviously, the JL isn't going to be anywhere near that level but it would be nice if I can run 37s and still be a little better than my JK with 35s and a budget lift.

One more question, which I think as alluded to before: your EVO lift doesn't correct the left/right axle position. Presumably that means your thrust angle is off a little. Do you notice that? Are you planning to fix it? Or should I stop worrying?

BJL

WOW :eek: looks great! I have a lot to learn before we can get a lift and bigger shoes but look forward to the journey!

ambrose

Wow. Not sure I can convince myself to not copy this setup. Love those wheels. Thanks for sharing all the details and vid.

NFRs2000NYC

Looks perfect honestly. Excited to see you test this out on the rocks, but I do have a quick question. The reason I run drop brackets on my JKUR and was considering them on my JLUR when I get one is simply because my Jeep live a life mostly on road, and when I do play on the rocks, they are not as hardcore as the stuff you play on, because I wheel alone and generally have to calculate risk. Having said that, I am fully aware of the limitation drop brackets create, and would, for the sake of capability, would prefer NOT to run them if the driveability didn't suffer. Driving your JL on the road now, how would you say the ride/handling/responsiveness changed from stock by not having the control arms "dropped" down? Thanks for the help as always.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks perfect honestly. Excited to see you test this out on the rocks, but I do have a quick question. The reason I run drop brackets on my JKUR and was considering them on my JLUR when I get one is simply because my Jeep live a life mostly on road, and when I do play on the rocks, they are not as hardcore as the stuff you play on, because I wheel alone and generally have to calculate risk. Having said that, I am fully aware of the limitation drop brackets create, and would, for the sake of capability, would prefer NOT to run them if the driveability didn't suffer. Driving your JL on the road now, how would you say the ride/handling/responsiveness changed from stock by not having the control arms "dropped" down? Thanks for the help as always.

Just so that we're on the same page, this is just a 2.5" budge boost. The change in suspension geometry is very very little and hardly anything most people would even notice. For me personally, our ride and handling hasn't changed... at all. But then, that is just us.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before I go on, let me say that I HUGELY appreciate all the effort you're putting into this. It is enormously valuable for me to see what you're doing so I don't have to make a lot of mistakes and then try to fix them. And your videos and write ups and just plain photos are really good quality (unlike what we typically see on those other forums :) which helps a lot. You are my guiding star, Eddie!

So, the Mopar kit comes with slightly longer lower front control arms which are presumably just the right length to correct the caster. And bump stop extensions which presumably keep are sufficient to make 35s not rub with the stock wheels. And it was my impression that with a 2" lift the axle position and pinion angle are off by a small enough amount that it's ok to ignore.

I'm not sure why I'm so fixated on the Mopar lift. Maybe because IF I can get away with 35x13.5 tires and just that much lift and flat fenders (which I want anyway) then i'll be happy and not need any further fussing. (Suspension fussing, that is, of course, i'll be replacing the bumpers etc.) i'm not too concerned (for now at least) with trying to get more articulation.

What I am concerned with when choosing between 35s and 37s is the street performance. Not so much the ride quality as with cornering. I can get by with some harshness but I hate body roll and vague steering. My other car is a Tesla Model S which despite appearances handles amazingly well (mostly due to its very low CG). Obviously, the JL isn't going to be anywhere near that level but it would be nice if I can run 37s and still be a little better than my JK with 35s and a budget lift.

One more question, which I think as alluded to before: your EVO lift doesn't correct the left/right axle position. Presumably that means your thrust angle is off a little. Do you notice that? Are you planning to fix it? Or should I stop worrying?

If you really want to run 37's, you're going to want a bit more lift and taller bump stop extensions. It's just that simple. Even the EVO 2.5" is just barely enough to clear them and only with fender liner modifications in the rear.

You really shouldn't feel much if any body roll with just 2-2.5" of lift. Above that, you'll want to relocate your track bar and do a drag link flip.

Having your axle off center about a quarter inch isn't going to do anything. With a track bar, your axle will ALWAYS be off a bit one way or another with any change in weight in your Jeep.

In short, you really should stop worrying :)

WOW :eek: looks great! I have a lot to learn before we can get a lift and bigger shoes but look forward to the journey!

Awesome, I hope you get to a point where you feel comfortable enough to get there. :yup:

Wow. Not sure I can convince myself to not copy this setup. Love those wheels. Thanks for sharing all the details and vid.

LOL!! I think you'd love it :)

NFRs2000NYC

Just so that we're on the same page, this is just a 2.5" budge boost. The change in suspension geometry is very very little and hardly anything most people would even notice. For me personally, our ride and handling hasn't changed... at all. But then, that is just us.

On the JK with a 2.5" lift, I definitely noticed a better controlled wide with the drop brackets than without. Are you saying that the budget boost with the control arms had no ill effects on the drive/control quality of the ride from stock, even on highways? If so that would be great news.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
On the JK with a 2.5" lift, I definitely noticed a better controlled wide with the drop brackets than without. Are you saying that the budget boost with the control arms had no ill effects on the drive/control quality of the ride from stock, even on highways? If so that would be great news.

What I'm saying is that ride quality and handling is 100% subjective. In my opinion, the JL drives better than a stock JK with the same amount of lift. Granted, the JL does have front control arms that are about an inch longer so that might be a factor in what I'm feeling.

JAGS

Jet is looking great. Though I am really starting to hate you. Well, more my wallet is starting to hate you, LOL.

I’m waiting for a bit till couple things come out I hear are in the pipeline. But it will be even harder now to wait till then let alone put a build off.

I am interested to see what you had to trim in the rear wells and how you’ll address up front.

What I'm saying is that ride quality and handling is 100% subjective. In my opinion, the JL drives better than a stock JK with the same amount of lift. Granted, the JL does have front control arms that are about an inch longer so that might be a factor in what I'm feeling.

Maybe it is just me, but I would seriously say the JL stock drives much better than the JK stock ever did. On many levels.

I could see how this might translate to a properly built JL driving better than a properly built JK.

frenchjk

LOve it!!! Jet Li has a super stance now ..... however I'm not a big fan of 2.5 boost kits even though they are nice and offer a simple way to lift... I'll wait for a 2.5 full kit (springs, shocks, and longer lines, with arms like yours)...I know you will go that way anyways, wouldn't be surprised if you went spring over in fact. :thumb::thumb:

KFLOHR

Looks great! Can't wait to see this evolve! I definitely think Jeep did a great job on the new JL and look forward to seeing what the aftermarket world comes up with in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Jet is looking great. Though I am really starting to hate you. Well, more my wallet is starting to hate you, LOL.

I’m waiting for a bit till couple things come out I hear are in the pipeline. But it will be even harder now to wait till then let alone put a build off.

I am interested to see what you had to trim in the rear wells and how you’ll address up front.

Maybe it is just me, but I would seriously say the JL stock drives much better than the JK stock ever did. On many levels.

I could see how this might translate to a properly built JL driving better than a properly built JK.

Agreed. The JL drives, rides and feels SO MUCH BETTER than any of the JK's I've owned stock. It really is a HUGE improvement in my opinion. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't feel "any" change in in ride quality after installing our lift and tires but from what I can tell, the change is a result of running load range E tires and with BIG lugs. Handling is the same.

LOve it!!! Jet Li has a super stance now ..... however I'm not a big fan of 2.5 boost kits even though they are nice and offer a simple way to lift... I'll wait for a 2.5 full kit (springs, shocks, and longer lines, with arms like yours)...I know you will go that way anyways, wouldn't be surprised if you went spring over in fact. :thumb::thumb:

It's just a first step and yes, we plan on installing coils in the near future... coil over further down the line :yup:

Looks great! Can't wait to see this evolve! I definitely think Jeep did a great job on the new JL and look forward to seeing what the aftermarket world comes up with in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How's the power with the 37"s? Do you forsee a need to re-gear in the future?

So far, I'm pretty happy with how well the new 8-speed auto pushes these 37's. While a regear in the future might be nice, I'm not dying to have it done the way I was with my JK's in the past.