Thread: custom JLU tailgate table

Fresh Catch

custom JLU tailgate table

This is from my Show & Tell thread but also sharing here.

When I had my JKU I made this custom tailgate table from Starboard marine board. Basically HDPE plastic board, and a stainless piano hinge and hardware from Lowes and some paracord. Just have to drill a few small holes in the plastic tailgate cover to feed the paracord through to secure it to features on the metal behind it. About $35 in parts. I use it for cutting, cooking with an MSR backpacking stove, etc. I put extra loops of in the paracord supports and ends so I can hang utensils and garbage bags and such. I also embedded some magnets into the face of the board when opened to hold knife blades in place and keep from sliding around or off.

It folds up and secured with a cinch-lock through the middle hole I have drilled in the board, or backup security from the Nite-Ize adjustable bungee that goes to loops tied into the paracord supports.

I also think its great that Jeep designed in a flat cup rest on the new JLU tailgates on the top right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool.

Great job on the table! Looks good!

Caught the Bug
    Looks great man. Just showed the wife and she wants one. Any extra tips?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That looks good. Nice work.

You just saved like $160+. Nice job.

Been Around the Block
    Gteat job

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2018 Jeep JLUR, Granite Crystal Metallic, Automatic, 2" Mopar Suspension Lift, 35x12x17 Toyo Open Country R/T Tires (Jeep is on Order as of 01-23-18, Ship Date 02-12-18, Delivery Date none yet)

Great work...Love it!

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by dbungard View Post
    This is from my Show & Tell thread but also sharing here.

When I had my JKU I made this custom tailgate table from Starboard marine board. Basically HDPE plastic board, and a stainless piano hinge and hardware from Lowes and some paracord. Just have to drill a few small holes in the plastic tailgate cover to feed the paracord through to secure it to features on the metal behind it. About $35 in parts. I use it for cutting, cooking with an MSR backpacking stove, etc. I put extra loops of in the paracord supports and ends so I can hang utensils and garbage bags and such. I also embedded some magnets into the face of the board when opened to hold knife blades in place and keep from sliding around or off.

It folds up and secured with a cinch-lock through the middle hole I have drilled in the board, or backup security from the Nite-Ize adjustable bungee that goes to loops tied into the paracord supports.

I also think its great that Jeep designed in a flat cup rest on the new JLU tailgates on the top right.
    Notice the spot for a tall boy next to the table on the tail gate??IMG_5058.JPG