JL JOURNAL : Stepping into Bigger Shoes / KMC XD231 Beadlock Install

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to image there was once a time when 33" tires were considered to be BIG, especially when the all new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicons come with them standard and right from the factory. In fact, when it came time for Cindy and I to start thinking about building up JET Li, it was pretty easy for us to skip 35's and go straight to a set of 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. As far as wheels go, we pretty much always run beadlocks and we were really happy to see that KMC had just come out with their all new XD231 Robby Gordon Race wheels. As luck would have it, they are made in a 17x8.5, come with a nice 4.75" of back spacing, are available in a 5x5 bolt pattern and even have mounting holes that will fit the larger 14mm studs that now come on the JL Wrangler. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see what it takes to install these beadlock wheels and tires. We hope you find this video to be helpful and informative and we thank you for watching.

To see a written version of this installation write-up complete with detailed photos, please click on the link below:
KMC XD231 RG Beadlock Wheel & Cooper STT Pro Installation Write-Up

:cool:

Stepping into Bigger Shoes

What size lift are you going to use, and will it me a Mopar Lift?

It's hard to image there was once a time when 33" tires were considered to be BIG, especially when the all new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicons come with them standard and right from the factory. In fact, when it came time for Cindy and I to start thinking about building up JET Li, it was pretty easy for us to skip 35's and go straight to a set of 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros. As far as wheels go, we pretty much always run beadlocks and we were really happy to see that KMC had just come out with their all new XD231 Robby Gordon Race wheels. As luck would have it, they are made in a 17x8.5, come with a nice 4.75" of back spacing, are available in a 5x5 bolt pattern and even have mounting holes that will fit the larger 14mm studs that now come on the JL Wrangler. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll get to see what it takes to install these beadlock wheels and tires. We hope you find this video to be helpful and informative and we thank you for watching.

To see a written version of this installation write-up complete with detailed photos, please click on the link below:
KMC XD231 RG Beadlock Wheel & Cooper STT Pro Installation Write-Up

:cool:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Great video guys! Man those new wheels look like a pain to mount with having to go thru the extra steps to seat the bead.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks fun :D

:icon_crazy: That's one way of putting it :crazyeyes:

Oh man! I’ve really got to get after my savings, and get that JL here!

WooHoo :thumb:

What size lift are you going to use, and will it me a Mopar Lift?

We got an EVO 2.5" Stage 4 budget boost.

Great video guys! Man those new wheels look like a pain to mount with having to go thru the extra steps to seat the bead.

eh, it wasn't too bad. :)

Really enjoyed the video. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience.

Glad to hear we've been of some help to you :)

Zenk

Balance?

Are you going to balance your wheels/tires? Have you tried running down the road to see if they need balancing?

RCM3691

Gears

Hi Eddie, I've really enjoyed your videos for some time. Very well put together. I have a JLU Rubicon in Punk’n on order and cant wait. Im curious how yours drives on the street with the 37’s and the 4.10 gears? I have a 2013 JKU with 3.73’s and 35’s and it runs well. Trying to decide if I will run 35’s or 37’s on the JL. Watching you really temps me to go with 37’s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Eddie, I've really enjoyed your videos for some time. Very well put together. I have a JLU Rubicon in Punk’n on order and cant wait. Im curious how yours drives on the street with the 37’s and the 4.10 gears? I have a 2013 JKU with 3.73’s and 35’s and it runs well. Trying to decide if I will run 35’s or 37’s on the JL. Watching you really temps me to go with 37’s.

Honestly, so far so good. The 8-speed auto seems to do pretty good at pushing these 37's.