WRITE-UP : KMC XD231 RG Beadlock Wheels & Cooper STT Pro INSTALLATION

tjeeper

Anti-seize

Do you guys use anti-seize on the beadlock bolts?

I have always used it on my wheels, but on my KMC wheels it seems to be a problem. The anti-seize kinda gummed up the end of the bolts, and when I removed them, unscrewed the helicoils (or whatever it is called) in the wheel. It also attracted a lot of dirt which is going to have to be cleaned off threads in the wheels and on the bolts.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Do you guys use anti-seize on the beadlock bolts?

I have always used it on my wheels, but on my KMC wheels it seems to be a problem. The anti-seize kinda gummed up the end of the bolts, and when I removed them, unscrewed the helicoils (or whatever it is called) in the wheel. It also attracted a lot of dirt which is going to have to be cleaned off threads in the wheels and on the bolts.

I do on my slabs but not my machetes. If you wash the wheels after install before wheeling it will clean the anti seize off the ends of the bolts.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

tjeeper

I ended up not using anti-seize, made it easier to get the bolts all torqued the same.

I don't drive it much in the winter anyhow- shouldn't be an issue.

snipersx

what best beadlock for JK

Hello,
what is the best szie of Wheels as bead lock i m confused can that lifet JK as well
best bead lock wheels
i have JK 2012 2Door runing with 17" wheels

SDJK

KMC Bead Lock Spacer

After being inspired by this writeup and spending way too much time looking at tire wheel combinations, I decided to try and be one of the cool kids and ordered a set of KMC XD231's and Cooper SST Pro 37 x 13.5s for my 2018 JKUR.

I'll happily share the details with anyone who wants to know, but bottom line was no matter how careful I was or how hard I tried, I could not get the beadlock ring to seat flush against the wheel. Star pattern, round and round, patience, profanity, and tool throwing - it just wasn't happening. Called KMC (Wheel Pros) yesterday and learned that Cooper has changed the sidewall/bead thickness on some of their tires and I will need a set of beadlock spacers. Good to know right! Good news is they are going to ship them to me at no additional charge, bad news is they are out of stock.

I just hope this helps some other poor soul from losing their religion over non-compliant aluminum and rubber.

View attachment 8575

Any chance you have a part number for the bead lock spacer ring KMC sent out?