WRITE-UP : KMC XD231 RG Beadlock Wheels & Cooper STT Pro INSTALLATION

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I’m new to the beadlock world. If KMC doesn’t offer a spacer could I run another brands spacer assuming it’s 17” and 24 bolts? Or am I just out of luck with that tire/wheel combo now? Thanks for your help!

What I can tell you is that I didn't install any spacers on my KMC wheels and really, you shouldn't need them either. From what I understand they do offer some now or at least, that's what I've heard. I would not buy spacers from a different manufacturer as they may or may not line up.

BigCountry1983

3 out of the 5 rim/tires don’t seat all the way down. Is this something I shouldn’t be driving on. I have over 3k mikes on the set so far and have pulled them all once and let the air out rechecked the torque and all were at 24lbs. After seeing this it is making me nervous for my upcoming 3-4K mile road trip.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max

Jeeeep

3 out of the 5 rim/tires don’t seat all the way down. Is this something I shouldn’t be driving on. I have over 3k mikes on the set so far and have pulled them all once and let the air out rechecked the torque and all were at 24lbs. After seeing this it is making me nervous for my upcoming 3-4K mile road trip.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max

I've got a small gap, about 1/16" - 1/8" on several of my KMC Machete /37 STT Pros, they've been that way about a year and haven't had any issues.

I've put at least 20k miles on them, drove to Moab and back a couple of times - no issues.

I check the torque on the bolts with each 5000 mile oil change.

Ceallaigh

Sealing Bead

Does anyone have any tips on getting the inside of the tire bead to tuck into the wheel? I’m running this same exact setup with 4 clamps pushing the sidewall down and the bead won’t seem to stretch over the wheel without popping off on the opposite side. Thanks!

WiscoHR

Does anyone have any tips on getting the inside of the tire bead to tuck into the wheel? I’m running this same exact setup with 4 clamps pushing the sidewall down and the bead won’t seem to stretch over the wheel without popping off on the opposite side. Thanks!

If you get some 2 inch washers and lightly tighten them in with the ring bolts you can get the bead to sit where you want. Once seated all around take the washers out and install the ring.

IMG_1153.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Balancing?

Hi anyone, How did you balance the beadlocks after the install? Or did you not need to? Wondering if any shops were afraid to touch them being theyre beadlocks.. great write up. Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hi anyone, How did you balance the beadlocks after the install? Or did you not need to? Wondering if any shops were afraid to touch them being theyre beadlocks.. great write up. Thanks!

Fortunately, these tires mounted up nice and round and no balancing was needed. We've got well over 30k on them now and they're still running nicely. That being said, IF we needed a balancing, we would have taken them to a local shop. Most shops like Discount Tire and the like won't touch them but there are some that will. You just need to call around.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Les Schwab will do it near me as long as they are not mounted onto the vehicle. I just have to bring them in loose.

But that was 37’s. I called around here after getting 40’s and nobody will touch them. Luckily I don’t need them balanced.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Les Schwab will do it near me as long as they are not mounted onto the vehicle. I just have to bring them in loose.

But that was 37’s. I called around here after getting 40’s and nobody will touch them. Luckily I don’t need them balanced.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

You may need to check with a truck/RV shop as they deal with big tires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really just wanted someone to break them down so I didn’t have to. :crazyeyes:

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

LOL - that really is a pain in the ass for sure. I've had my local Tires Plus separate my wheels from the tires but of course, I needed to have the rings off.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
LOL - that really is a pain in the ass for sure. I've had my local Tires Plus separate my wheels from the tires but of course, I needed to have the rings off.

Yeah I had the rings off. Big O said no at first then as I was ready to leave they chased me down and said they would do it but said $75 a tire. I laughed at them and left. Took me a little over an hour to do three. I think my time is worth $225 an hour.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I had the rings off. Big O said no at first then as I was ready to leave they chased me down and said they would do it but said $75 a tire. I laughed at them and left. Took me a little over an hour to do three. I think my time is worth $225 an hour.

2012 JKUR Billet Silver
2012 JK Dozer
1975 DJ5 Postal

Damn, $75 a tire?? Yeah, I'd do them myself for that too. Crazy!

SLO

All of the Discount Tire shops in our area will balance 40’s on beadlocks and the one near me will unseat the rear bead. That’s about all they will do.

I ended up balancing mine. I was having bad wheel shake at 50 to 60 mph. It turned out that one of my wheels was so far out of balance that they couldn’t fit the 17oz of weight that it asked for in one location. They had me take it home, pull out the wheel and rotate the tire 180 degrees on the wheel. I took it back and it balanced fine. Now I have almost no wheel shake. Kind of like a ghetto Road Force balance but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
My experience hasn't been so good. I ordered the ones in the link from Amazon, I can't get my TPMS to work correctly. I have lowered the threshold on the JL to 20 psi, so I got through that issue. The Jeep is only reading the front two tires. I had my local Discount check the sensors, all 4 sensors on the Jeep are sending out a signal, but the 5th (the spare) is not. I'm going to have to tear down that wheel to replace the sensor.

As for why my Jeep can't read the back two tires, I have no idea. I've driven it about 100 miles in the past two weeks (I don't drive much). The next step will be to swap the rear and front tires to see what happens.

I don't know what to say about the sensors. They are definitely Mopar, I expected them to work. I guess it is like the reviews say, works for some but not others.
It won't send a signal because it's not turning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app