Suspension 101

BillArnett

I'm trying to educate myself about Jeep suspensions, especially with respect to lifts and bigger tires. I found this on the AEV website:

https://www.aev-conversions.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/60

Can any of you experts here comment on how much of that is accurate and how much is marketing hype?

I have AEV's rear bumper/tire carrier on my JK. I've been pleased with it. And I was happy with AEV's customer support when I had an issue with the tire carrier shortly after installing it. They helped me adjust it better and sent me a new little plastic part free of charge. Lots of people make good products but what differentiates a good company from an excellent one is customer relations. So I'm predisposed to believing what they say. Hopefully, someone here with more knowledge than I can provide another perspective.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't clicked on the link let alone read what's on it but AEV is a solid company and one that should have accurate information regarding suspension. That being said, different companies do have different approaches to addressing the problems associated with lifted Jeeps and AEV's answer to them is just one of many.

BillArnett

AEV makes a big deal about the geometry correction brackets for the front lower control arms. Supposedly greatly improves handling and steering on the street. EVO has a similar item in some of their kits. But in another thread here Eddie mentioned that he doesn’t like them. I’m GUESSING that’s because they hang down pretty low and are subject to being smashed on the rocks. If that’s right, then I guess it’s just a trade off but it would be nice to know how much they help on the highway and how likely they are to be damaged when they do contact a rock.

JTCO

Meme King
AEV makes a big deal about the geometry correction brackets for the front lower control arms. Supposedly greatly improves handling and steering on the street. EVO has a similar item in some of their kits. But in another thread here Eddie mentioned that he doesn’t like them. I’m GUESSING that’s because they hang down pretty low and are subject to being smashed on the rocks. If that’s right, then I guess it’s just a trade off but it would be nice to know how much they help on the highway and how likely they are to be damaged when they do contact a rock.

Not only do they lower ground clearance, but it's also more bolts that you have to check for torque as well in regards to maintenance. There's a lot of force on control arms, and drop brackets aren't ideal IMO. Also, at 2.5 inches or less of lift, you may not even notice a difference on the road IMO. Adjustable control arms solve the issue of improper caster without having to add the brackets.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Even without the drop brackets, you WILL hit your front lower control arm mounts at the frame IF you play on the rocks. It just makes no sense to me to pay a ton of money to lift your Jeep only to lower all the most vulnerable points with a bunch of drop brackets. As far as handling goes, sure, correct suspension geometry will offer a ride and handling similar to stock but not having them won't make your ride and handling feel like crap. To me, it's just a LITTLE different. But of course, ride quality is 100% subjective.

Not only do they lower ground clearance, but it's also more bolts that you have to check for torque as well in regards to maintenance. There's a lot of force on control arms, and drop brackets aren't ideal IMO. Also, at 2.5 inches or less of lift, you may not even notice a difference on the road IMO. Adjustable control arms solve the issue of improper caster without having to add the brackets.

This ^^^ Most people don't even notice the change with just 2.5" of lift.

BillArnett

Thanks guys. That’s kind of what I thought but it sure helps to have my guesses confirmed. I had a look at my JK’s LCA brackets: they’re really beat up. Having something more vulnerable down there seems like a really bad idea.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. That’s kind of what I thought but it sure helps to have my guesses confirmed. I had a look at my JK’s LCA brackets: they’re really beat up. Having something more vulnerable down there seems like a really bad idea.

The drop brackets work to correct your suspension geometry but at the cost of ground clearance. Also, I have personally seen where you the AEV brackets will bend and eventually break with too much flexing. They're a great solution for guys that never play on the rocks but far from being ideal for anything other than street and simple dirt road driving. Long arms would be a better way to go but then, there really is no need for that at just 2.5" of lift.

TITAN

The drop brackets work to correct your suspension geometry but at the cost of ground clearance. Also, I have personally seen where you the AEV brackets will bend and eventually break with too much flexing. They're a great solution for guys that never play on the rocks but far from being ideal for anything other than street and simple dirt road driving. Long arms would be a better way to go but then, there really is no need for that at just 2.5" of lift.

Did the new EVO JL fix this issue by having the control arms up above the Jeeps skids or is that standard for long arms, IE you need the drop brackets to because they are too short for the lift? :) Still learning so my questions may be really bad hah!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did the new EVO JL fix this issue by having the control arms up above the Jeeps skids or is that standard for long arms, IE you need the drop brackets to because they are too short for the lift? :) Still learning so my questions may be really bad hah!

Drop brackets do what long arms would do - correct your suspension geometry. Of course, drop brackets are a LOT cheaper and in more ways than one. MOST long arm kits do NOT have mounts that are located as high as what EVO designed for the JL. In fact, they were one of the few companies if not the only one to do this on the JK.