Best aftermarket exhaust?

PaulNY

I am looking at the aFe Power Rock Basher cat-back exhaust. It tucks up nicely inside the frame and is short, meaning it doesn't stick out the back. Anyone have experience with this exhaust, or recommend another?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, unless you don't care how your exhaust will sound, I would hold off a bit before making a change like this. Most aftermarket exhausts can have a ricey sound or have a harsh drone at highway speeds. I would wait until you could get a good sampling of sound clips and/or feedback from others who've run various systems.

JTCO

Meme King
I am looking at the aFe Power Rock Basher cat-back exhaust. It tucks up nicely inside the frame and is short, meaning it doesn't stick out the back. Anyone have experience with this exhaust, or recommend another?

I don't have any experience with afe, but I would recommend Dynomax for several reasons. They support the forum here, they're made in the USA, their mufflers sound great, and the rep here on the forum is very helpful with whatever kit you would like. I imagine if they don't have one already, that they will design something with good clearance for the offroad environment. They likely can help you piece together a custom kit as well depending on your needs.

http://www.dynomax.com/

Last edited:

PaulNY

Honestly, unless you don't care how your exhaust will sound, I would hold off a bit before making a change like this. Most aftermarket exhausts can have a ricey sound or have a harsh drone at highway speeds. I would wait until you could get a good sampling of sound clips and/or feedback from others who've run various systems.

Ok, thanks so much for the heads up.

PaulNY

Good to know Eddie! I def do not want a ricey sound for sure. aFe does have a sound clip of the rock basher, and it sounds good. But, who knows what it sounds like in real life.

offcamber

Is it just about sound? You'll notice that NO exhaust manufacturers will post HP/Torque numbers for their exhaust on the 3.6. It's because every single one of them causes a loss of HP/torque over the factory system.

JLF

So far based purely on functional clearance potential alone listed in order of preference:

DynoMax Ultra Flo Evolution Competition Cat-Back Exhaust (my #1 pick, just waiting for them to release the JLU version)
aFe Power Rock Basher Cat-back Exhaust (#2 pick, only will purchase IF DynoMax chokes)
MagnaFlow Off-Road Pro Series Cat-Back Exhaust (Already ruled this one out because the turn-down appears to hang lower than others)

My predominate factors include, Functional clearance potential, USA made, Sound (subjective to me). Quality is assumed equal unless proven otherwise.

Of course, this is preliminary and for planning purposes only until actual market proliferation.

Hope this helps.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it just about sound? You'll notice that NO exhaust manufacturers will post HP/Torque numbers for their exhaust on the 3.6. It's because every single one of them causes a loss of HP/torque over the factory system.

You won't see any performance benefits from a new exhaust alone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So far based purely on functional clearance potential alone listed in order of preference:

DynoMax Ultra Flo Evolution Competition Cat-Back Exhaust (my #1 pick, just waiting for them to release the JLU version)
aFe Power Rock Basher Cat-back Exhaust (#2 pick, only will purchase IF DynoMax chokes)
MagnaFlow Off-Road Pro Series Cat-Back Exhaust (Already ruled this one out because the turn-down appears to hang lower than others)

My predominate factors include, Functional clearance potential, USA made, Sound (subjective to me). Quality is assumed equal unless proven otherwise.

Of course, this is preliminary and for planning purposes only until actual market proliferation.

Hope this helps.

The Dynomax is what we're running on our 2012 and over the years, it's what we've liked best. The Rockcrawler version they had for the old 3.8L sounded better in my opinion but then, that was a totally different motor and exhaust setup. Truly, function and getting the big factory muffler out of the way is a big reason to do this.

PaulNY

Hope this helps.

Great assessment and spot on. I have been reviewing the aFe Rock Basher pretty heavily. The web page states "- Provides increased performance: up to 9HP and 8 lbs/ft of torque", but that's not really important to me because even if it's true, I would never feel the minimal gains. However, I really like how it tucks up high inside the frame and stops right before the rear wheels. So, it doesn't extend all the way out the back, and provides the clearance I am looking for. Regarding sound, it's purely subjective but the videos I have seen is pretty impressive and doesn't sound bad at all. I am trying to be patient and see what DynoMax comes out with as it's highly recommended on this forum.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great assessment and spot on. I have been reviewing the aFe Rock Basher pretty heavily. The web page states "- Provides increased performance: up to 9HP and 8 lbs/ft of torque", but that's not really important to me because even if it's true, I would never feel the minimal gains. However, I really like how it tucks up high inside the frame and stops right before the rear wheels. So, it doesn't extend all the way out the back, and provides the clearance I am looking for. Regarding sound, it's purely subjective but the videos I have seen is pretty impressive and doesn't sound bad at all. I am trying to be patient and see what DynoMax comes out with as it's highly recommended on this forum.

Of all the exhausts I've personally tested on our JK with a 3.6L, the DynoMax QuietCrawler is the only one I really liked and even better than other DynoMax systems. Granted, it is all subjective. Here's video Cindy and I did of the setup we have on Rubicat.

PaulNY

Of all the exhausts I've personally tested on our JK with a 3.6L, the DynoMax QuietCrawler is the only one I really liked and even better than other DynoMax systems. Granted, it is all subjective. Here's video Cindy and I did of the setup we have on Rubicat.

Sounds great, and exactly what I am looking for. Doesn't sound like any drone inside the cabin? Any word from DynoMax when the JL options will be available? Thanks for the video Eddie.

PaulNY

I talked to one of them yesterday and was told they're working hard on it and hopefully there will be something 'soon.' I don't know what that means, lol.

Well, that could mean next Monday or, months from now lol. The "hopefully there will be something soon" part isn't as encouraging as I would like :D I may go ahead and pull the trigger on the aFe rock basher and see how it sounds. It's only $332, so if I don't like it, I can always sell it. I really like how it's tucked high underneath, and doesn't extend past the rear wheel.

PaulNY

Eddie, did you or Cindy every notice any exhaust fumes getting into the cabin with the quietcrawler exhaust? The aFe rock basher exhaust I am looking at is almost identical to the quietcrawler regarding fitment. Therefore, with the tip pointing down right before the rear tire, I am curious if you ever ran into any issue with that specific location in comparison to the traditional rear exit? Thanks so much for clarifying.

BillArnett

legal?

Just to echo PaulNY's concern I've read that these things are actually illegal in some states (possibly including Utah but not California). Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious business. The aFe site has a note saying "for off-road use only", no doubt to cover their a***s if someone decides to use their stuff where it isn't legal.

For what it's worth, I have an aFe high-clearance exhaust on my JK, the kind the exits all the way back near the bumper. IMHO it sounds fine. And I've only dinged it a little on the rocks.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Just to echo PaulNY's concern I've read that these things are actually illegal in some states (possibly including Utah but not California). Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious business. The aFe site has a note saying "for off-road use only", no doubt to cover their a***s if someone decides to use their stuff where it isn't legal.

For what it's worth, I have an aFe high-clearance exhaust on my JK, the kind the exits all the way back near the bumper. IMHO it sounds fine. And I've only dinged it a little on the rocks.

Yes a lot of state inspection laws state that the exhaust must exit past a body line on the vehicle. Some even say it MUST exit the rear of the vehicle. Just depends on where you live.

Iceman47

Has anyone even considered a Magnaflow axel back exhaust? I was about to pull the trigger but now am hesitating. Their sound clip sounds good, but like someone said it's all subjective. Does the fitment of these exhausts have an issue if the tow package is installed? Thenks

longarmwj

I guess it was the redneck in me, but I simply unbolted the muffler and took it off. I kept hitting it on the trail and removing it was free. Yes, it's loud, but I don't think it sounds too horrible...but then again I've always liked my vehicles loud :cheesy: