Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best aftermarket exhaust?

Best aftermarket exhaust?

I am looking at the aFe Power Rock Basher cat-back exhaust. It tucks up nicely inside the frame and is short, meaning it doesn't stick out the back. Anyone have experience with this exhaust, or recommend another?
    2018 JLU Rubicon, Black on Black

Honestly, unless you don't care how your exhaust will sound, I would hold off a bit before making a change like this. Most aftermarket exhausts can have a ricey sound or have a harsh drone at highway speeds. I would wait until you could get a good sampling of sound clips and/or feedback from others who've run various systems.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNY View Post
    I am looking at the aFe Power Rock Basher cat-back exhaust. It tucks up nicely inside the frame and is short, meaning it doesn't stick out the back. Anyone have experience with this exhaust, or recommend another?
    I don't have any experience with afe, but I would recommend Dynomax for several reasons. They support the forum here, they're made in the USA, their mufflers sound great, and the rep here on the forum is very helpful with whatever kit you would like. I imagine if they don't have one already, that they will design something with good clearance for the offroad environment. They likely can help you piece together a custom kit as well depending on your needs.

http://www.dynomax.com/
    Last edited by JTCO; 03-02-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Honestly, unless you don't care how your exhaust will sound, I would hold off a bit before making a change like this. Most aftermarket exhausts can have a ricey sound or have a harsh drone at highway speeds. I would wait until you could get a good sampling of sound clips and/or feedback from others who've run various systems.
    Ok, thanks so much for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Good to know Eddie! I def do not want a ricey sound for sure. aFe does have a sound clip of the rock basher, and it sounds good. But, who knows what it sounds like in real life.

Is it just about sound? You'll notice that NO exhaust manufacturers will post HP/Torque numbers for their exhaust on the 3.6. It's because every single one of them causes a loss of HP/torque over the factory system.

Fresh Catch
    So far based purely on functional clearance potential alone listed in order of preference:

DynoMax Ultra Flo Evolution Competition Cat-Back Exhaust (my #1 pick, just waiting for them to release the JLU version)
    aFe Power Rock Basher Cat-back Exhaust (#2 pick, only will purchase IF DynoMax chokes)
    MagnaFlow Off-Road Pro Series Cat-Back Exhaust (Already ruled this one out because the turn-down appears to hang lower than others)

My predominate factors include, Functional clearance potential, USA made, Sound (subjective to me). Quality is assumed equal unless proven otherwise.

Of course, this is preliminary and for planning purposes only until actual market proliferation.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
    Is it just about sound? You'll notice that NO exhaust manufacturers will post HP/Torque numbers for their exhaust on the 3.6. It's because every single one of them causes a loss of HP/torque over the factory system.
    You won't see any performance benefits from a new exhaust alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post
    So far based purely on functional clearance potential alone listed in order of preference:

DynoMax Ultra Flo Evolution Competition Cat-Back Exhaust (my #1 pick, just waiting for them to release the JLU version)
    aFe Power Rock Basher Cat-back Exhaust (#2 pick, only will purchase IF DynoMax chokes)
    MagnaFlow Off-Road Pro Series Cat-Back Exhaust (Already ruled this one out because the turn-down appears to hang lower than others)

My predominate factors include, Functional clearance potential, USA made, Sound (subjective to me). Quality is assumed equal unless proven otherwise.

Of course, this is preliminary and for planning purposes only until actual market proliferation.

Hope this helps.
    The Dynomax is what we're running on our 2012 and over the years, it's what we've liked best. The Rockcrawler version they had for the old 3.8L sounded better in my opinion but then, that was a totally different motor and exhaust setup. Truly, function and getting the big factory muffler out of the way is a big reason to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by JLF View Post

Hope this helps.
    Great assessment and spot on. I have been reviewing the aFe Rock Basher pretty heavily. The web page states "- Provides increased performance: up to 9HP and 8 lbs/ft of torque", but that's not really important to me because even if it's true, I would never feel the minimal gains. However, I really like how it tucks up high inside the frame and stops right before the rear wheels. So, it doesn't extend all the way out the back, and provides the clearance I am looking for. Regarding sound, it's purely subjective but the videos I have seen is pretty impressive and doesn't sound bad at all. I am trying to be patient and see what DynoMax comes out with as it's highly recommended on this forum.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast