Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: Best aftermarket exhaust?

  1. #31
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,516
    Doesnít sound too loud at all.


    Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  2. #32
    Caught the Bug OconRecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman47 View Post
    Has anyone even considered a Magnaflow axel back exhaust? I was about to pull the trigger but now am hesitating. Their sound clip sounds good, but like someone said it's all subjective. Does the fitment of these exhausts have an issue if the tow package is installed? Thenks
    Have the tow package and it installed without a problem. Look is fantastic. Sound is a touch louder than I expected, but then again, I did it more for the duel exhaust look, and not as much for an improved/lower exhaust note. I would have been happy with only a tiny uptick in sound.

    Idling is a purr. Super nice. Can't see anyone having a problem with that.
    Highway is a touch louder, minimal to no droning.
    Most of the umph comes from lower speed accelerations, which of course is the norm with these type of applications.

    Happy thus far.
    2018 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
    - American Racing ATX Wheels - AX195 18x9, with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R18LT tires - no lift kit, no spacers, no rub
    - RockSlide GenII StepSliders w/ LED, RC 30" hood-mount lightbar, Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Exhaust, WARN VR Evo winch, Hothead Headliners
    - 67 Designs JL MagMount G2, Highland Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier, GPCA Headrest Grab Handles
    - Rugged Ridge 3rd Brake Light LED Ring, Elite Headlight Euro Guards, Renegade tail lights

  3. #33
    Hooked HiCenterd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    122
    After driving around town with the muffler removed for a month, I finally got around to putting a muffler back on. With no muffler, the 3.6 sounds slightly less annoying than a Honda with a wet fart exhaust, in my opinion. I can only imagine that the muffler delete pipes could only sound the same. I went to my local exhaust shop, told them I wanted high and tight, and this is what they gave me. It's a Magnaflow 4x9 oval muffler that fits perfectly in place of the resonator. At no point does it hang down below the frame or body. It isn't any louder than the stock exhaust with the exception of 2-3k rpm's when you're getting on it.


    Exhaust1.jpg

    Exhaust2.jpg

    Exhaust3.jpg

    Exhaust4.jpg

  4. #34
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    4,516
    Quote Originally Posted by HiCenterd View Post
    After driving around town with the muffler removed for a month, I finally got around to putting a muffler back on. With no muffler, the 3.6 sounds slightly less annoying than a Honda with a wet fart exhaust, in my opinion. I can only imagine that the muffler delete pipes could only sound the same. I went to my local exhaust shop, told them I wanted high and tight, and this is what they gave me. It's a Magnaflow 4x9 oval muffler that fits perfectly in place of the resonator. At no point does it hang down below the frame or body. It isn't any louder than the stock exhaust with the exception of 2-3k rpm's when you're getting on it.


    Exhaust1.jpg

    Exhaust2.jpg

    Exhaust3.jpg

    Exhaust4.jpg
    2-3k is getting on it? I run at 3k on the highway. Lol 5500+ would be getting on it.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    2012 Jeep Jk - 37ís
    2012 Jeep JKU Rubicon - 40ís
    1975 Jeep DJ5

  5. #35
    Hooked HiCenterd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJL View Post
    2-3k is getting on it? I run at 3k on the highway. Lol 5500+ would be getting on it.


    Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    That's just the rpm range that's the loudest. It mellows out above 3k again under heavy acceleration

    Sent from my moto x4 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

  6. #36
    Been Around the Block Deezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Fair Oaks, Ca.
    Posts
    432
    All I want is a replacement muffler that's low profile, no drone and a little rumbly in low gear. I called Dy omax and was told they didn't have anything... Which sucks because on my JK I had a quiet crawler that was perfect.
    This time I only want to do muffler only, one tip high and tight.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  7. #37
    Fresh Catch
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    21

    MF Rock Crawler/Hooker Blackheart

    I combined the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler cat-back with the Hooker Blackheart high clearance axle-back. I tried the MagnaFlow alone first, but it was too loud and whiny for my taste and definitely droned on the highway. So I yanked the MF turndown pipe and added the Hooker axle-back, which fit perfectly to the MF pieces. The combination gives a nice low exhaust note, but it's way more subtle than the MF Rock Crawler alone and the Hooker tucks up nicely behind the rear bumper. That's what I was after.

    I suspect you could do the same with any of the muffler elimination exhaust kits, not just the MF. You might see if you could do it for cheaper by buying the individual components. I had read that the Hooker alone didn't really alter the sound much, but if you don't care about the sound and just want more clearance, try the Hooker and skip the cat-back.

  8. #38
    Been Around the Block Deezus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Fair Oaks, Ca.
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by LVZen View Post
    I combined the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler cat-back with the Hooker Blackheart high clearance axle-back. I tried the MagnaFlow alone first, but it was too loud and whiny for my taste and definitely droned on the highway. So I yanked the MF turndown pipe and added the Hooker axle-back, which fit perfectly to the MF pieces. The combination gives a nice low exhaust note, but it's way more subtle than the MF Rock Crawler alone and the Hooker tucks up nicely behind the rear bumper. That's what I was after.

    I suspect you could do the same with any of the muffler elimination exhaust kits, not just the MF. You might see if you could do it for cheaper by buying the individual components. I had read that the Hooker alone didn't really alter the sound much, but if you don't care about the sound and just want more clearance, try the Hooker and skip the cat-back.
    Yea that's the kit I was looking at, I just wish Dynomax had a kit.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  9. #39
    Caught the Bug OconRecon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by LVZen View Post
    I combined the MagnaFlow Rock Crawler cat-back with the Hooker Blackheart high clearance axle-back. I tried the MagnaFlow alone first, but it was too loud and whiny for my taste and definitely droned on the highway. So I yanked the MF turndown pipe and added the Hooker axle-back, which fit perfectly to the MF pieces. The combination gives a nice low exhaust note, but it's way more subtle than the MF Rock Crawler alone and the Hooker tucks up nicely behind the rear bumper. That's what I was after.

    I suspect you could do the same with any of the muffler elimination exhaust kits, not just the MF. You might see if you could do it for cheaper by buying the individual components. I had read that the Hooker alone didn't really alter the sound much, but if you don't care about the sound and just want more clearance, try the Hooker and skip the cat-back.
    Was about to start a thread entitled "What's the quietest dual exhaust solution?", but may try this first. I did the Magnflow about 6 months ago and I just can't get used to the noise, but LOVE the look of dual pipes. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

    Thanks for posting.
    2018 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR
    - American Racing ATX Wheels - AX195 18x9, with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50R18LT tires - no lift kit, no spacers, no rub
    - RockSlide GenII StepSliders w/ LED, RC 30" hood-mount lightbar, Hooker Blackheart Axle-Back Exhaust, WARN VR Evo winch, Hothead Headliners
    - 67 Designs JL MagMount G2, Highland Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier, GPCA Headrest Grab Handles
    - Rugged Ridge 3rd Brake Light LED Ring, Elite Headlight Euro Guards, Renegade tail lights

  10. #40
    Been Around the Block CalSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by OconRecon View Post
    Was about to start a thread entitled "What's the quietest dual exhaust solution?", but may try this first. I did the Magnflow about 6 months ago and I just can't get used to the noise, but LOVE the look of dual pipes. Trying to have my cake and eat it too.

    Thanks for posting.
    I added a Flowmaster resonator to my cat back system & it made a huge difference in quitting down the drone of the aftermarket exhaust. There are lots of cheaper resonators out there but I trust flowmaster because I've always had good luck with their stuff...

    https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...4344#post44344

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •