35s on stock rims

BillArnett

I see a lot of folks running 35" tires on the stock JL rims. But looking at the specs for BFG KM2's I see that they "require" 8.5-11" rims. The stock rims are only 7.5". What gives? What's the downside of using the "too small" rims? It would be nice to not have to spend another kilobuck...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see a lot of folks running 35" tires on the stock JL rims. But looking at the specs for BFG KM2's I see that they "require" 8.5-11" rims. The stock rims are only 7.5". What gives? What's the downside of using the "too small" rims? It would be nice to not have to spend another kilobuck...

There are 35's and then there are metric equivalent of 35's. The problem isn't the diameter but rather, the width of the tread. The downside is that some shops may refuse to install a 12.50 width on a wheel with a 7.5" width. Aside from that, it's really no big deal and really, a good thing to have when airing down. Back in the day, we used to do this on purpose and called it a poor mans beadlock. The other downside is that you "may" need to run wheel spacers to help prevent rubbing at a full turn and/or to help keep the sidewalls away from suspension components.

JP223/3USA

There are 35's and then there are metric equivalent of 35's. The problem isn't the diameter but rather, the width of the tread. The downside is that some shops may refuse to install a 12.50 width on a wheel with a 7.5" width. Aside from that, it's really no big deal and really, a good thing to have when airing down. Back in the day, we used to do this on purpose and called it a poor mans beadlock. The other downside is that you "may" need to run wheel spacers to help prevent rubbing at a full turn and/or to help keep the sidewalls away from suspension components.

Would you say it’s street safe to have 12.5” tires on 7.5” wheels? For now it’s an option I may consider. I have wheel spacers ready if needed but I want to know if it can work?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

ocrejects

Would you say it’s street safe to have 12.5” tires on 7.5” wheels? For now it’s an option I may consider. I have wheel spacers ready if needed but I want to know if it can work?

After much research, I am going with 315/70/17, It’s an 8 to 11 instead of the 8 1/2 to 11 on the 35/12.50/17. Because I am staying with the stock rims for now, I wanted to stay online with the Rubicon. Did not want my tire to over fit my rim. Plus I saved 72 bucks!
Here is the measurements between the two tires:

BFG-08806 BSW
315/70R17/E 121/118S
8-11
3195 load
64.46 (Per tire weight)
Out the door $1053.88

BFG-66539 RWL (you have to turn the tire around if you don’t want white lettering on the outside)
35x12.50R17/E 121R
8.5-11
3195 load
66.26 (Per tire weight)
Out the door $1,125.88

I found 4wrstparts to have the best pricing. No tax and free shipping!!!!

Here are mine...315/70/17 KO2's on stock rims, no spacers, no rub, drives great, no issues.

I will run them at 30lbs of pressure once I am able to adjust the TPMS.

8VOOaYX.jpg

JP223/3USA

After much research, I am going with 315/70/17, It’s an 8 to 11 instead of the 8 1/2 to 11 on the 35/12.50/17. Because I am staying with the stock rims for now, I wanted to stay online with the Rubicon. Did not want my tire to over fit my rim. Plus I saved 72 bucks!
Here is the measurements between the two tires:

BFG-08806 BSW
315/70R17/E 121/118S
8-11
3195 load
64.46 (Per tire weight)
Out the door $1053.88

BFG-66539 RWL (you have to turn the tire around if you don’t want white lettering on the outside)
35x12.50R17/E 121R
8.5-11
3195 load
66.26 (Per tire weight)
Out the door $1,125.88

I found 4wrstparts to have the best pricing. No tax and free shipping!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do a little a research. I can’t wait to put some bigger shoes on my jeep

ocrejects

2" Mopar lift. It really rides and handles nicely. The Fox shocks feel great on the road. I'll be taking it off road in a few weeks, so we'll see how it does. I am betting it will be exactly what I hoped for.

OK I’m super jealous! My JLUR is in route to the dealer, drop date April 2 - 6! First Jeep ever!!! I have the Mopar 2 inch lift, winch (Smittybilt), off road 7” led’s, winch bracket, antenna 13”, all weather floor mats, tray tub liner, third brake light relocate, cat black exhaust, cold air intake! Just waiting to be put on this all white, including fenders and JLUR....

ocrejects

OK I’m super jealous! My JLUR is in route to the dealer, drop date April 2 - 6! First Jeep ever!!! I have the Mopar 2 inch lift, winch (Smittybilt), off road 7” led’s, winch bracket, antenna 13”, all weather floor mats, tray tub liner, third brake light relocate, cat black exhaust, cold air intake! Just waiting to be put on this all white, including fenders and JLUR....

What did they hit you up for mountain balance when your new 315’s?

offcamber

Here's mine, Toyo Open Country MT's 315/70/17's on the factory wheels. The 315's were $80 less than the 35x12.5 even though they are a 1/4" narrower but .2" taller. Found the Mopar beadlocks for $299 and ordered them today. Should be here Thursday.

20180320_161904-01-X3.jpg