JL JOURNAL : So... how much damage did we do to our JL Wrangler?

Four Flusher

After seeing the trail video where you tag the rear bumper, seemed like the steel bumper option might not be that great of an idea for rock work.

Here's a unrelated question. Seems like your two JKs have trimmed fenders rather than aftermarket. I'm wondering why you went that route. And, will you be able to the same mod to Jet Li?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video showing the damage after the run. On the original trail video I really liked being able to hear the screeching and then on this video pointing out the damage. Thanks for posting all the great videos! Just more selling points that I pass on to the "boss". :)

LOL!! Glad that we could help seal the deal :D

Great video! New to jeeps so I appreciate you naming all the parts that got rock rubbed ... very informative. What size tire for this specific rock crawl trip would of avoided much of the rubbing? ... just wondering. Thx!

On this trip? You could have just gone around most of the bigger rocks. If we were running bigger tires, I would have just taken on bigger rocks. :yup:

Sooo now the fun begins...after your - great - assessment of undercarriage damage you get to head over to EVO and pull out the wallet. Don't fret its a JEEP thing ...:yup::yup:

By the way do the rockrails on the JK hold out as well or are they flimsy folded sheetmetal (I'm still running the plastic steps on my JK and still have to tear them off but am careful to keep them clear of rocks and stumps...the trails here are "quite" mild but really narrow!)

Oh yeah, the JK rocker guards are just like the JL. We have always found them to be tough and do their job well.

Is the film on the rear fender from factory or did you guys have somebody put that on the jeep?

The clear film comes on fenders that are painted to match the body and right from the factory.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A little spray paint and it never happened.
Not bad though really for where it was.

LOL!! Thanks again for being our support crew :cool:

After seeing the trail video where you tag the rear bumper, seemed like the steel bumper option might not be that great of an idea for rock work.

Here's a unrelated question. Seems like your two JKs have trimmed fenders rather than aftermarket. I'm wondering why you went that route. And, will you be able to the same mod to Jet Li?

Factory JK fenders are FREE, or at least, they come with the JK, they flex, bend and tear away if hit too hard. Also, we think trimmed, they look awesome. Metal fenders look cool and all and they're strong but to a fault. We've just personally seen one too many metal fender take a solid upper cut hit and while they held up great, they transferred all their energy into the body causing damage to it. No thanks.

Not sure what we'll do with Jet Li. Unlike the JK before, we love the fenders as is. :)

tallguy26

LOL!! Glad that we could help seal the deal :D

On this trip? You could have just gone around most of the bigger rocks. If we were running bigger tires, I would have just taken on bigger rocks. :yup:

Oh yeah, the JK rocker guards are just like the JL. We have always found them to be tough and do their job well.

The clear film comes on fenders that are painted to match the body and right from the factory.
That's great to hear about the film thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app