Max tire size on a stock Rubicon

WranJLerYYC

Hello all,

About to be a new JLU Rubi owner and I am curious if anyone knows the max tire size you can fit on stock rims without rubbing or trimming and alternatively the max tire size with a rim that has a 4&1/2” offset like the AEV Pintlers?

Running the Pintlers with a 285/75r17 Duratrac on our JKU without rubbing but I know the JLU Rubicon’s have more room under the fenders.

Cheers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,

About to be a new JLU Rubi owner and I am curious if anyone knows the max tire size you can fit on stock rims without rubbing or trimming and alternatively the max tire size with a rim that has a 4&1/2” offset like the AEV Pintlers?

Running the Pintlers with a 285/75r17 Duratrac on our JKU without rubbing but I know the JLU Rubicon’s have more room under the fenders.

Cheers.

On stock rims and without ANY rubbing or trimming, I'd have to say 285/70R17 - that's what comes on a JL Rubicon. With a wheel with less back spacing, there is a chance that the tire will make contact with the outside edge of the fenders instead of tucking up inside of them. Of course, it'd be impossible for me to say for sure at this time being that nobody has done it as of yet.

13_gecko_rubi

Hello all,

Cheers.

Pintlers have a 5.14 backspace. With a 35 it would be far enough inboard to still stuff up inside the fender. You likely need a small bump stop adjustment, maybe 1/2”-1”. Or a small lift of say 1” and they should fit without rubbing. Depending on tire they may fit stock but bet they barely kiss the fenders best case. Only one way to know for sure.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WranJLerYYC

That’s my thought. I’ll probably run the 285’s for a year and let some others figure out the details. Lol.

Pintlers have a 5.14 backspace. With a 35 it would be far enough inboard to still stuff up inside the fender. You likely need a small bump stop adjustment, maybe 1/2”-1”. Or a small lift of say 1” and they should fit without rubbing. Depending on tire they may fit stock but bet they barely kiss the fenders best case. Only one way to know for sure.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

WranJLerYYC

Seeing more videos about this. Looks like at full stuff the 285’s fit like a glove. With only a fingers worth of room between the tire and the well. If you upsize to a 35” tire you will need to extend bump stops to avoid rubbing.

Hearing the Mopar lift is great though. It will fit 35’s nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing more videos about this. Looks like at full stuff the 285’s fit like a glove. With only a fingers worth of room between the tire and the well. If you upsize to a 35” tire you will need to extend bump stops to avoid rubbing.

Hearing the Mopar lift is great though. It will fit 35’s nicely.

Yup, have a friend running 35's on Method beadlock wheels and with the Mopar 2" lift. Works great together even at a full flex.