MOPAR 2" Lift Review (on-road) -- IMPRESSIVE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just so it's clear to anyone else reading this, no one so far has said to drive a Jeep without a track bar. A member mentioned that they removed the track bar while the vehicle was parked, just to see if the coil bow went away while vehicle was still parked.

I think you're talking above his pay grade. I mean, he just got done saying that he's used "the track bar alignment trick" but doesn't even understand why he would have needed to use it. :crazyeyes:

Umm you want it to hit the bumpstop at full stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

No, I didn't explain that well. I was referring to the spring hitting the bump stop, not the bump stop hitting like it is supposed to do. The spring cleared the bump stop, that's what I was happy about. Sorry for not being clear. This is relating to the bowing of the spring.

So, Eddie, with it not rubbing the bump stop, and with the pic you've seen, in your opinion, I'm good to go? It sure drives great, so I'm inclined not to worry too much about it if you think it is within the norm of what you've seen in your experience.

Last edited:

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I saw the spring bow in the pics I just find it hard to believe on a 2 in lift .It just depends on how the springs are engineered .

Now on the drag link issue the goal is not to rock the boat on the forum , but I would strongly recommend you keep your track bar hooked up when you are driving your Jeep LOL ! I do on my trucks and my jeep as they handle much better. I remember my drag link being the connecting link between the steering gear pitman arm and the knuckle when I last checked. Now if you want to counsel your followers different I'm good and will not challenge your expertise.

I don't really have an ego here but for the record my background is 35 verifiable years of steering and suspension repair in a large dealership , a short stint teaching at a community college and still do death wobble , steering and driveline issues all day everyday. No internet regurgitation here.

Hopefully we can all learn new things and I have found out a lot of information here on the JL .

I have to bow out of this thread because it appears to be above my pay grade. I think you might have lost a few on your geometry explanation of the Pythagorean theory !:beer:

Dumb.

Dumb.

Just so it's clear to anyone else reading this, no one so far has said to drive a Jeep without a track bar. A member mentioned that they removed the track bar while the vehicle was parked, just to see if the coil bow went away while vehicle was still parked.

Is there any part of the suspension (other than possibly the sway bar) that you could reasonably drive without?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, I didn't explain that well. I was referring to the spring hitting the bump stop, not the bump stop hitting like it is supposed to do. The spring cleared the bump stop, that's what I was happy about. Sorry for not being clear. This is relating to the bowing of the spring.

So, Eddie, with it not rubbing the bump stop, and with the pic you've seen, in your opinion, I'm good to go? It sure drives great, so I'm inclined not to worry too much about it if you think it is within the norm of what you've seen in your experience.

For me personally, I think you're good to go.

PaulNY

Personally, my Mopar lift has an equal slight bow on each side. But, my bump stop is nowhere near the spring. Therefore, after Eddies insight, I haven't look at the springs since and am not going to worry about it anymore. Every time I look at my rig now, the springs are an afterthought.

Back In Black

Personally, my Mopar lift has an equal slight bow on each side. But, my bump stop is nowhere near the spring. Therefore, after Eddies insight, I haven't look at the springs since and am not going to worry about it anymore. Every time I look at my rig now, the springs are an afterthought.

Thank you Paul. I could not have said it better myself.
I don't care, and if it's really an issue it will be corrected by Jeep!
Let's put it this way, my Jeep contacts reviewed it and they were not concerned...

PaulNY

Here are pics of my drivers and passenger side springs after settling a bit. I haven't flexed my rig yet, but may try today and see how it looks. I am a little concerned about the drivers side specifically as initially, the bump stop was not this close to the spring. However, after driving around for a week, it has appeared to creep a little closer and am wondering if this will rub during articulation?

Attachments

• bowd.jpg
    bowd.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 170
  • bowp.jpg
    bowp.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 171

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here are pics of my drivers and passenger side springs after settling a bit. I haven't flexed my rig yet, but may try today and see how it looks. I am a little concerned about the drivers side specifically as initially, the bump stop was not this close to the spring. However, after driving around for a week, it has appeared to creep a little closer and am wondering if this will rub during articulation?

If it's not making contact just driving around, where it would most likely occur, I doubt you'll see the two make contact when flexing. Your coils should straighten themselves out or at least somewhat as they compress and extend. Even if they did make contact, you'd hear it but that'd be the worst of it.

JT w/a JL

How does installing a lift effect your vehicles warranty? Either regular manufacturer's, or the MOPAR vehicle protection plan? I just got my first Jeep and the last thing I'd wanna do right out the gate is void the warranty on a brand new vehicle.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
How does installing a lift effect your vehicles warranty? Either regular manufacturer's, or the MOPAR vehicle protection plan? I just got my first Jeep and the last thing I'd wanna do right out the gate is void the warranty on a brand new vehicle.

ANY modification, even dealer-installed Mopar items, can infringe upon your warranty. Best thing you can do is have a good relationship with your dealer. If you have larger tires and your headlight burns out, it would be difficult for the dealer to deny the warranty claim but I have seen some stupid stuff.
There is something called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act , which basically can be interpreted that a dealer has to prove that your modifications caused the failure on the vehicle, but dealers don't always adhere to it, and don't usually think a customer will fight it legally. I work in the warranty business. From what I see regularly, if a customer puts up a good fight and has a good relationship with the dealer, the dealer will usually settle out of Court. However, the manufacturer is a much bigger fight if your vehicle is flagged.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ANY modification, even dealer-installed Mopar items, can infringe upon your warranty. Best thing you can do is have a good relationship with your dealer. If you have larger tires and your headlight burns out, it would be difficult for the dealer to deny the warranty claim but I have seen some stupid stuff.
There is something called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act , which basically can be interpreted that a dealer has to prove that your modifications caused the failure on the vehicle, but dealers don't always adhere to it, and don't usually think a customer will fight it legally. I work in the warranty business. From what I see regularly, if a customer puts up a good fight and has a good relationship with the dealer, the dealer will usually settle out of Court. However, the manufacturer is a much bigger fight if your vehicle is flagged.

This ^^^^

The single best thing you can do is become a good and loyal customer and the odds will be in your favor.

JT w/a JL

This ^^^^

The single best thing you can do is become a good and loyal customer and the odds will be in your favor.

I've stuck with the same dealer for a few years now, and that's actually how I ended up the Jeep. My Chrysler 200 was defective and outside of the lemon period. I had all my maintenance and warranty work done at the same dealer and they got FCA to replace the vehicle. Playing nice with the right people definitely has it's advantages. Thanks for the advice!

Dusty

My dealership received 3, 2" suspension kits before any JLs arrived and was told it may be sometime before they get anymore. I was lucky enough to get one of those[emoji4]

Rubinot, Do you still like the lift kit after having it for a while now?

Sent from my SM-G960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:
I've been running the Mopar 2" lift now for 9,000 miles, and same as the OP, I have C rated KO2's. Every time I go off road or over rough roads, I just smile at the way this thing feels. It will be on the Rimrocker Saturday and in Moab next Sunday through the following Thursday, so I'll report back after all of that, but off-road here in the dirt/mud/sand and few rocks of Indiana, I could not be happier. I'm pretty pleased with the KO2's, as well. I thought they'd really suck compared to the KM2's I had on my JK, but they are better in sand and are not that much worse in Indiana mud. Now I know mud varies a lot, so the jury is still a bit out, but they still did much better than expected and moved the Jeep through it without much drama. On road, they are outstanding in rain, snow, slush, and in the dry. I know the big complaint is how they grab and throw rocks, but I'm sure that will get a little better as they wear. It seems to be the price paid for good snow traction, anyway.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the Mopar lift. Note: I did have excessive bow in the driver side front spring, although it never rubbed the bump stop. My dealer put the updated pad on it under warranty and that gave some additional room. I wouldn't trade that bow for a stiffer ride, so I'm 100% happy. They work so well with the tune on the Fox shocks, too. It is a great package.

GrayBeard

My dealership received 3, 2" suspension kits before any JLs arrived and was told it may be sometime before they get anymore. I was lucky enough to get one of those[emoji4]

Rubinot, Do you still like the lift kit after having it for a while now?

Yes, I still love my Mopar 2" suspension lift. It rides very smooth on and off road. So far, no complaints. As far as the bow in the springs, I have a mild bow, but it doesn't bump or rub anything. Well worth the money, in my opinion. Plus if I have any problems with it, it's covered under warranty[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Dusty

Yes, I still love my Mopar 2" suspension lift. It rides very smooth on and off road. So far, no complaints. As far as the bow in the springs, I have a mild bow, but it doesn't bump or rub anything. Well worth the money, in my opinion. Plus if I have any problems with it, it's covered under warranty[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Following as I am looking at this. What is the going rate for the dealer to install?