JL JOURNAL : STOCK on the ROCKS - Rock Crawling a Stock JL Wrangler

RMC2

Living vicariously as usual. Great job. Looked like you got a little close to Cindy that one time, which isn't the usual case.

Any idea why the fan was kicking on so loud? Didn't seem like anything should have been running that hot on this run. That could get annoying.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man this has me excited about my trip out west. Great video :rock:

If you can make it out this way, I think you'll love it. :yup:

Living vicariously as usual. Great job. Looked like you got a little close to Cindy that one time, which isn't the usual case.

Any idea why the fan was kicking on so loud? Didn't seem like anything should have been running that hot on this run. That could get annoying.

From what I could tell, it was because the transmission was heating up. I shifted into manual and that helped keep things cool.

Lookin pretty capable right out the box.... :cool: Can you feel the FAD engaging, or has it been pretty seamless so far?

You know, it's interesting that you're the only one I've seen ask about this as of yet. Honestly, I couldn't even tell it was there. If it stays like that, I won't ever think about it again.

TrailHunter

You know, it's interesting that you're the only one I've seen ask about this as of yet. Honestly, I couldn't even tell it was there. If it stays like that, I won't ever think about it again.

Haha... I wouldn't say "Ever", because I'll probably ask again after the 37's.....and then after the 40's go on..... :crazyeyes:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That was a backup camera!?! Couldn’t even tell!! Great video!

While I was watching I’m listening to the fan speed thru the roof and was wondering what was going on. Low and behind the next clip was you saying you never experienced that before lol. Is there anything you can think of that would have caused something to get so hot that the fan went into over drive? Trans maybe? Did it happen often after that? If so I bet it got kinda annoying even tho you were grateful for it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha... I wouldn't say "Ever", because I'll probably ask again after the 37's.....and then after the 40's go on..... :crazyeyes:

Too true! Clearly, the guys over at Jeep did the best they could to make the FAD work well with the stock setup. Who knows how it'll hold up with 37's. Don't think we'll be tempting fate with 40's though :crazyeyes:

That was a backup camera!?! Couldn’t even tell!! Great video!

While I was watching I’m listening to the fan speed thru the roof and was wondering what was going on. Low and behind the next clip was you saying you never experienced that before lol. Is there anything you can think of that would have caused something to get so hot that the fan went into over drive? Trans maybe? Did it happen often after that? If so I bet it got kinda annoying even tho you were grateful for it

Yeah, at full wide angle, the camera has lens distortion, purple fringing and allows for a ton of solar flaring. But, better to capture the moment than not just because we didn't have a better camera with us. :crazyeyes:

The fan was most likely trying to cool the transmission. Initially, I was doing most of my rock crawling using low range and drive. If I could guess, the auto transmission was shifting more than it needed to and was "starting to heat up". Being that it's so quite, I just couldn't tell and being that so long as the engine was running, the was no need for the fan to kick up. Again, the fan only got super loud AFTER crawling, turning the engine off and then turning it back on again. By manually shifting into a lower gear and keeping the engine on, the fan never came back on like that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool video. The JL looks super capable. That would be a fun trail to run in a stock rig. I’ve only done it on 35’s and 37’s.

Sure makes what is otherwise a pretty easy trail into something of a challenge. It was a lot of fun and without having to spend a ton of money. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any pics from under the JL after the rock crawling?? Just curious as to how the scraping turned out.

Funny you should ask. We have a new episode of the JL Journal coming out this evening and it'll show you exactly what you're wanting to see :yup:

YAHAHA

Every time I get the itch for the Mopar 2" lift and 35s I watch this video just to remind me how capable our Jeep already is.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

darrenroos

JL JOURNAL : STOCK on the ROCKS - Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon on Last Chance Canyon Trail

Although we have had a chance to take JET Li, our brand new 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, out on dirt and even up some rocks down the street from us, what Cindy and I have been really dying to do, is put him to the test and out on one of our all time favorite trails, Last Chance Canyon. Located in the El Paso Mountains near the town of Ridgecrest, Last Chance Canyon is a relatively short but beautiful trail that's filled with tons of great history and of course, plenty of rocks that are just small enough for a bone stock Jeep to take on but still big enough for a built up Jeep to have fun on. In fact, it's because of this reason that we typically like to take people who are new to Jeeps, out on this trail and to give them their very first taste of wheeling.

In this episode of the JL Journal, you get to see totally raw and unscripted footage of JET Li taking on the rocks, out in Last Chance Canyon and totally bone stock. Clearly, what you'll see is far far from hardcore rock crawling but we think it'll give you some idea of what an JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited is capable of and right off the showroom floor. We will have to apologize ahead of time for the quality of this video as we were using a back-up camera the day this was filmed and it isn't exactly the best. We hope that you'll enjoy the video just the same.

Very cool! I might have missed it in the video but did you run it through the v-notch?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app