Sahara Axles strong enough for 35's?

marcdm

Long time Jeeper confused by JL axles updates. It seems that the 3.73 gears are no longer available and we are left with 3 options. Rubicon 4.10's or all else in 3.45 with or without a limited slip (Dana44) I have always opted for the 3.73's on my TJ's / JKU even my CJ's.

I ordered a Sahara as a base to start as Im not a fan of the red dash or high line fenders. I did order the limited slip in the rear. I've seen a number of folks go with the 2" mopar and 35's on their Sports or Sahara's. That said, my question is weather or not the 3.45's can handle a 35" tire? My JKU sat great with 2" mopar and 285/75/16s. I typically like running with 33's - but all of the 2" JL suspensions I have seen seem much higher then previous generation upgrades. Given the amount of well space, the 33 seems like it would be underwhelming.

Are folks going to 35's on Sport / Sahara's doing gears as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have no doubt that the axles can handle 35's just fine but the lower ratio could potentially leave you wanting a bit more power. Granted, the 8-speed auto is really nice and it might be able to compensate for the bigger tires in a way that the JK's couldn't. If it were me, I'd do it.

marcdm

Thanks for the input. I suspect that JEEP thinks it works as they showcased that nicely outfitted SPORT at the LA auto show with the 2"Mopar and 35" KO2's. I reviewed the spec sheet they showed of which MOPAR parts they employed and saw nothing about gears. That said, my experience tells me that it will take a more of the skinny peddle on the right to get those tires up to speed!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the input. I suspect that JEEP thinks it works as they showcased that nicely outfitted SPORT at the LA auto show with the 2"Mopar and 35" KO2's. I reviewed the spec sheet they showed of which MOPAR parts they employed and saw nothing about gears. That said, my experience tells me that it will take a more of the skinny peddle on the right to get those tires up to speed!

Like I said, I'd still do it. Someone will come out with new gears soon enough. :yup:

RMC2

An article I read said 3.73 was an option on both sport and Sahara, not that it helps you at this point. I think it was written after the LA unveiling, and they also may not be in the system yet. This also wouldn't help you.

marcdm

Thanks guys. Dealer just called - my JL Sahara is in. I have every intention of doing the 2" mopar kit. That said, I wont be able to move on it right away. My debate then is weather or not to go ahead with the 285/70/17 or 315/70/17.

Ive been asking around on a number of forums - some guys have put the 35's on stock / Saharas and indicated tight fit. I am super hesitant to stuff the well not knowing how long before I'm able to do suspension. But Im also pretty convinced that 33's will be small once suspension is added. As I mentioned above, my old JKU had 2" mopar with 285/75/16. But these new kits appear to ride taller.

Anyone on this board have any thoughts or experience with described sizes?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. Dealer just called - my JL Sahara is in. I have every intention of doing the 2" mopar kit. That said, I wont be able to move on it right away. My debate then is weather or not to go ahead with the 285/70/17 or 315/70/17.

Ive been asking around on a number of forums - some guys have put the 35's on stock / Saharas and indicated tight fit. I am super hesitant to stuff the well not knowing how long before I'm able to do suspension. But Im also pretty convinced that 33's will be small once suspension is added. As I mentioned above, my old JKU had 2" mopar with 285/75/16. But these new kits appear to ride taller.

Anyone on this board have any thoughts or experience with described sizes?

If it were me, I'd split the difference and run a 305. It's a true 35 whereas a 315 is a really big 35.

marcdm

Not sure which tire you mean at 305? I’m going with KO2’s and the only thing I am seeing in the 305 is a wider 32” tire. Am I missing something? The other reason I’ve been comparing the 2 that I have is that they both come in a C ply tire. What I pose in durability - I gain in comfort. Not something I thought about in my 20’s... but a worthwhile trade off in mid 40’s!!

JTCO

Meme King
Not sure which tire you mean at 305? I’m going with KO2’s and the only thing I am seeing in the 305 is a wider 32” tire. Am I missing something? The other reason I’ve been comparing the 2 that I have is that they both come in a C ply tire. What I pose in durability - I gain in comfort. Not something I thought about in my 20’s... but a worthwhile trade off in mid 40’s!!

I just checked BFG's website and it appears they only make the 305 in a 65 series for a 17 inch wheel. However, they make the 285 in a 75 series. So a 285/75R17 would put you at a very tall 33. The picture below is a generalized measurement for that size and these measurements are with the tire off of the Jeep and not with the weight on it.

IMG_20180224_072421_009.jpg

Me personally, I would go with the 315s and adjust as necessary even if more bump stop extension is needed. Both of our jeeps have 33s and we really wished we had gone 35s. They're both getting 35s soon hopefully. However, as far as stock gears, not sure how these would feel with the new JL platform.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

As WJCO said, they can be found in a 305/75R17. Yes, they will be wider than 285/75R17 or what a 32x11.50R17 might be but would be narrower than a 315. You need to remember that the 285, 305 or 315 is the width of the tread in millimeters.

As far as ride comfort, you have a JL and they are super comfortable running at bowling ball pressure. If you really feel the need to soften things up, run a more reasonable psi. :yup:

Danny

Has anybody done this yet? I'm trying to decide to change gear ratio and install ARB's on sport axles or replace with Rubicon axles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

SignalVol

5 months ago I've was deep down this rabbit hole with my 6 speed jl sport.(classic case of should've bought a rubi) I went to 315/70/17 ko2's on my 6 speed jl sport with 3.45 gears and lost useable power in 6th gear on the hwy and with the sport 2.75:1 transfer case, it was difficult crawling offroad with a 6 speed bc you had to feather the clutch alot. I bought takeoff jl rubi axles for $3800 delivered with brakes and steering components and a rubi 4:1 t case for $1400 delivered. I helped 2 guys install everything and it took a solid 12 hrs and was $1000 which also included adding a RK lift during the swap.(good deal on labor bc one of the 2 guys was my friend and did it for a case of beer) the axle swap by itself was about $4500 for parts and labor.

Adding ARB lockers and regearing the narrower sport axles with smaller brakes was going to cost as much as doing the swap. My rationale was...for the same amount of money, you get the additional benefit of stronger axles and better brakes to go with the e-lockers and 4.10 gears. It was a no brainer and I've driven on this setup for 8k miles and it's been great...hope this helps.

Danny

5 months ago I've was deep down this rabbit hole with my 6 speed jl sport.(classic case of should've bought a rubi) I went to 315/70/17 ko2's on my 6 speed jl sport with 3.45 gears and lost useable power in 6th gear on the hwy and with the sport 2.75:1 transfer case, it was difficult crawling offroad with a 6 speed bc you had to feather the clutch alot. I bought takeoff jl rubi axles for $3800 delivered with brakes and steering components and a rubi 4:1 t case for $1400 delivered. I helped 2 guys install everything and it took a solid 12 hrs and was $1000 which also included adding a RK lift during the swap.(good deal on labor bc one of the 2 guys was my friend and did it for a case of beer) the axle swap by itself was about $4500 for parts and labor.

Adding ARB lockers and regearing the narrower sport axles with smaller brakes was going to cost as much as doing the swap. My rationale was...for the same amount of money, you get the additional benefit of stronger axles and better brakes to go with the e-lockers and 4.10 gears. It was a no brainer and I've driven on this setup for 8k miles and it's been great...hope this helps.
Hell yes It helps. Thank you. How are the 4.10s with the 35's? Did you get 6th back? Where did you acquire the axles?

Sent from my SM-G930V using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

SignalVol

Danny