Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sahara Axles strong enough for 35's?

Fresh Catch

Sahara Axles strong enough for 35's?

Long time Jeeper confused by JL axles updates. It seems that the 3.73 gears are no longer available and we are left with 3 options. Rubicon 4.10's or all else in 3.45 with or without a limited slip (Dana44) I have always opted for the 3.73's on my TJ's / JKU even my CJ's.

I ordered a Sahara as a base to start as Im not a fan of the red dash or high line fenders. I did order the limited slip in the rear. I've seen a number of folks go with the 2" mopar and 35's on their Sports or Sahara's. That said, my question is weather or not the 3.45's can handle a 35" tire? My JKU sat great with 2" mopar and 285/75/16s. I typically like running with 33's - but all of the 2" JL suspensions I have seen seem much higher then previous generation upgrades. Given the amount of well space, the 33 seems like it would be underwhelming.

Are folks going to 35's on Sport / Sahara's doing gears as well?

I have no doubt that the axles can handle 35's just fine but the lower ratio could potentially leave you wanting a bit more power. Granted, the 8-speed auto is really nice and it might be able to compensate for the bigger tires in a way that the JK's couldn't. If it were me, I'd do it.

Fresh Catch
    Thanks for the input. I suspect that JEEP thinks it works as they showcased that nicely outfitted SPORT at the LA auto show with the 2"Mopar and 35" KO2's. I reviewed the spec sheet they showed of which MOPAR parts they employed and saw nothing about gears. That said, my experience tells me that it will take a more of the skinny peddle on the right to get those tires up to speed!

Quote Originally Posted by marcdm View Post
    Thanks for the input. I suspect that JEEP thinks it works as they showcased that nicely outfitted SPORT at the LA auto show with the 2"Mopar and 35" KO2's. I reviewed the spec sheet they showed of which MOPAR parts they employed and saw nothing about gears. That said, my experience tells me that it will take a more of the skinny peddle on the right to get those tires up to speed!
    Like I said, I'd still do it. Someone will come out with new gears soon enough.

An article I read said 3.73 was an option on both sport and Sahara, not that it helps you at this point. I think it was written after the LA unveiling, and they also may not be in the system yet. This also wouldn't help you.
    Matt

Do the speed bumps at the mall count as crawlin?

N.S.D.Q.! and Army ........... ummm, we don't have a slogan anymore.

18 JLUR - white, 13 JKUR - white (gone), 09 JKUR - white (gone), stock 85 CJ7 - red - in storage.
    6 other 4x4 trucks (but only have 1 now-of course it is white too).

My build thread https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...kopelli-begins

Just checked, and 3.73 isn't on the Jeep.com builder or the Feb 7 order guide list.
    Matt

Do the speed bumps at the mall count as crawlin?

N.S.D.Q.! and Army ........... ummm, we don't have a slogan anymore.

18 JLUR - white, 13 JKUR - white (gone), 09 JKUR - white (gone), stock 85 CJ7 - red - in storage.
    6 other 4x4 trucks (but only have 1 now-of course it is white too).

My build thread https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.ph...kopelli-begins

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC2 View Post
    Just checked, and 3.73 isn't on the Jeep.com builder or the Feb 7 order guide list.
    Nor will it be. 3.45 is only choice.

Sent via....

Fresh Catch
    Thanks guys. Dealer just called - my JL Sahara is in. I have every intention of doing the 2" mopar kit. That said, I wont be able to move on it right away. My debate then is weather or not to go ahead with the 285/70/17 or 315/70/17.

Ive been asking around on a number of forums - some guys have put the 35's on stock / Saharas and indicated tight fit. I am super hesitant to stuff the well not knowing how long before I'm able to do suspension. But Im also pretty convinced that 33's will be small once suspension is added. As I mentioned above, my old JKU had 2" mopar with 285/75/16. But these new kits appear to ride taller.

Anyone on this board have any thoughts or experience with described sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by marcdm View Post
    Thanks guys. Dealer just called - my JL Sahara is in. I have every intention of doing the 2" mopar kit. That said, I wont be able to move on it right away. My debate then is weather or not to go ahead with the 285/70/17 or 315/70/17.

Ive been asking around on a number of forums - some guys have put the 35's on stock / Saharas and indicated tight fit. I am super hesitant to stuff the well not knowing how long before I'm able to do suspension. But Im also pretty convinced that 33's will be small once suspension is added. As I mentioned above, my old JKU had 2" mopar with 285/75/16. But these new kits appear to ride taller.

Anyone on this board have any thoughts or experience with described sizes?
    If it were me, I'd split the difference and run a 305. It's a true 35 whereas a 315 is a really big 35.

Fresh Catch
    Not sure which tire you mean at 305? Iím going with KO2ís and the only thing I am seeing in the 305 is a wider 32Ē tire. Am I missing something? The other reason Iíve been comparing the 2 that I have is that they both come in a C ply tire. What I pose in durability - I gain in comfort. Not something I thought about in my 20ís... but a worthwhile trade off in mid 40ís!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast