Where would you mount an ARB twin air compressor

BillArnett

You don’t need a tank with a quality compressor.

Yeah, but doesn't it make filling the tire a little faster given that you start with a tank full of 100 psi air? And that the pump can run to repressurize the tank while you switch from tire to tire?

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
You don’t need a tank with a quality compressor.

Yeah, but doesn't it make filling the tire a little faster given that you start with a tank full of 100 psi air? And that the pump can run to repressurize the tank while you switch from tire to tire?

Doubt it will make that much of a difference. Have you ever filled your tires up after wheeling? It really doesn’t take that long even with the worst of pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

Doubt it will make that much of a difference. Have you ever filled your tires up after wheeling? It really doesn’t take that long even with the worst of pumps.

I don't know about the worst of pumps part.

Some, like my other $60 pump are a little slow. But it did work. I will likely put that one in my truck.

The JL has room for a tank underneath, if I find a place for the pump. I agree that it likely wouldn't make much of a difference on tires. I was thinking, what about a tank for air tools?

JTCO

Meme King
Yeah, sure, we do that all the time. It takes us about 10 minutes maybe a bit more. Saving a couple of minutes each time would be well worth the extra expense (for me)

My arb twin compressor can air up four 33" inch tires from 15psi to 30psi in less than 8 minutes. I couldn't be happier. That's more than fast enough IMO.

RMC2

My arb twin compressor can air up four 33" inch tires from 15psi to 30psi in less than 8 minutes. I couldn't be happier. That's more than fast enough IMO.

That is good. I got mine last year and haven't tested it yet, other than my daughters scooter. Took it from 2 to 32 psi REALLY fast. Of course it is tiny.

PaulNY

Team, as a newbie and first time Jeep owner, I have read through all of these threads. And well, I don't know that I have learned anything other than it sounds like a portable air compressor is the way to go? If so, what brand (ARB I assume?) and what all is needed? If someone can recommend a case with everything inside it (link attached would be great), I would greatly appreciate it. There appears to be some room under the rear seats that just may fit the whole outfit, but am unsure. Again, thanks for educating me as each endeavor I face with my new Jeep reminds me how uneducated I am :crazyeyes:

Onlyone

Team, as a newbie and first time Jeep owner, I have read through all of these threads. And well, I don't know that I have learned anything other than it sounds like a portable air compressor is the way to go? If so, what brand (ARB I assume?) and what all is needed? If someone can recommend a case with everything inside it (link attached would be great), I would greatly appreciate it. There appears to be some room under the rear seats that just may fit the whole outfit, but am unsure. Again, thanks for educating me as each endeavor I face with my new Jeep reminds me how uneducated I am :crazyeyes:

Hello,

It really depends on several factors. How much you want to spend, how often you air down ect. I ran a cheap Goodyear 12 volt pump for a couple years. Slow and gets hot. We pretty much go somewhere every weekend in the Summer months so we looked around. I decided as much as we air down we wanted the best. So we went with the ARB Twin. It’s a beast. There are plenty of good pumps out there though. Buy the best one you can afford.

PaulNY

Hello,

It really depends on several factors. How much you want to spend, how often you air down ect. I ran a cheap Goodyear 12 volt pump for a couple years. Slow and gets hot. We pretty much go somewhere every weekend in the Summer months so we looked around. I decided as much as we air down we wanted the best. So we went with the ARB Twin. It’s a beast. There are plenty of good pumps out there though. Buy the best one you can afford.

Luckily and fortunately, I am blessed in that I can afford to equip my new Jeep with quality parts/accessories. Therefore, I don't mind to spend the coin if it's worth it, and it sounds like the ARB twin is the way to go? If so, I will purchased immediately as I don't want to be stranded with a cheap compressor being the culprit.

Thanks so much for the insight. I see that there is ARB's new CKMTA12 and CKMTA24 twin compressors, and the CKMTP12 and CKMTP24 which has the case with the tank and accessories. Which do you recommend?

Last edited:

Bsimon187

Luckily and fortunately, I am blessed in that I can afford to equip my new Jeep with quality parts/accessories. Therefore, I don't mind to spend the coin if it's worth it, and it sounds like the ARB twin is the way to go? If so, I will purchased immediately as I don't want to be stranded with a cheap compressor being the culprit.

Thanks so much for the insight. I see that there is ARB's new CKMTA12 and CKMTA24 twin compressors, and the CKMTP12 and CKMTP24 which has the case with the tank and accessories. Which do you recommend?

I believe the 12 is the 12v and 24 is their 24 volt. So for a single battery get the 12v.

JTCO

Meme King
I can’t remember the last time I stopped for less than 30 minutes while airing up.

My Slime compressor from Cabela's took 40 minutes to air up my old 32s. I remember it well because my wife was pissed being stuck with the whining kids in the car that long. We got an arb twin very soon after.

I believe the 12 is the 12v and 24 is their 24 volt. So for a single battery get the 12v.

This is correct.

There are several mounting options on the JK, but the JL is new, and it may take some time for options. If money isn't an option, I believe that the arb twin is the most powerful option on the market right now that you can just buy and hook up. Yes, they do make a portable version, but it's more $$ and with the case and tank, it takes up a lot of storage space.

002-arb-air-compressor-test-compressor-open-showing-contents.jpg

PaulNY

My Slime compressor from Cabela's took 40 minutes to air up my old 32s. I remember it well because my wife was pissed being stuck with the whining kids in the car that long. We got an arb twin very soon after.

This is correct.

There are several mounting options on the JK, but the JL is new, and it may take some time for options. If money isn't an option, I believe that the arb twin is the most powerful option on the market right now that you can just buy and hook up. Yes, they do make a portable version, but it's more $$ and with the case and tank, it takes up a lot of storage space.

View attachment 1344

What about just the compressor without a tank Eddie? Is the tank essential for off-roading, or would this be sufficient:

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Portable-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMP12-P3573.aspx

JTCO

Meme King
What about just the compressor without a tank Eddie? Is the tank essential for off-roading, or would this be sufficient:

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Portable-High-Performance-12-Volt-Air-Compressor-CKMP12-P3573.aspx

Lol. I'm not Eddie. But yes that would work fine. We have that exact single compressor on our JK(just the compressor, not the tank). It really isn't much slower than the twin. If you're set on a portable one, that one will more than meet your needs. When we take both Jeeps out (my wife drives the JK with the single ARB), we finish about the same time ( :eek: ) when airing up, however, I usually air down to 15 and she airs down to 20. We are back on the road in about 10 minutes (minus chit chat and appeasing the kids).

PaulNY

Lol. I'm not Eddie. But yes that would work fine. We have that exact single compressor on our JK(just the compressor, not the tank). It really isn't much slower than the twin. If you're set on a portable one, that one will more than meet your needs. When we take both Jeeps out (my wife drives the JK with the single ARB), we finish about the same time ( :eek: ) when airing up, however, I usually air down to 15 and she airs down to 20. We are back on the road in about 10 minutes (minus chit chat and appeasing the kids).

Sorry, I got confused with names lol. So, is there a kit where you get just the ARB twin, long hose, and jumper cables?

JTCO

Meme King
Sorry, I got confused with names lol. So, is there a kit where you get just the ARB twin, long hose, and jumper cables?

I don't know of any. But truthfully, you could likely build something like it yourself. The hose kit is 37 bucks or so online and can be easily obtained. You could get jumper ends that are the same gauge wire and splice/solder them right onto the ARB harness.

Here's a close up picture of the overall kit. Looks clean, but wouldn't be that hard to DIY IMO. The switch and wiring come with the compressor regardless:

IMAG0635.jpg

RMC2

I am thinking of mocking up my own case without a tank, since I already own the twin. Eventually that is.

Nobody markets a passenger side under the front seat bracket yet, but that is a popular JK location. It would not be difficult to make if you are handy.

The single is a smaller toolbox (that was the last link above).

Jury is still out. Heck, I might even order a new Jeep tomorrow. Who knows what I will do.

JL2018

Paul, Did you end up buying the ARB twin in case? If so, How did you like it? Anyone else get it?