Where would you mount an ARB twin air compressor

RMC2

I would say easy to install, and noisy, and encourage bad behavior by passers by.

I am leaning to the underseat idea so far. Still waiting on the JL to show up so I can play with ideas.

BillArnett

ARB Quad Compressor!!

For reasons that I'm not sure I can fully justify, I've installed TWO ARB Twin compressors in my new JLUR. Excuses: it gives me some redundancy in case one of them fails; it halves the time to fill 4 tires (my wife does two while I do the other two); it's just cool and I'm the first on my block!

As usual, the installation was more difficult than I expected. Mostly due to my fumble fingers and my bad back.

Each compressor is mounted under the rear seat to a small piece of 1/4" plywood with the ARB hardware which in turn is sandwiched between the seat legs and the floor using the stock bolts. I used plywood instead of metal because I wanted some thermal insulation (those compressors get really hot!) and because I'm no good at metal working :) When the seats are folded they hit the compressors and stop about 1/2 way down. I didn't like that it was pressing on the output coupling so I glued a small piece of wood on top of the compressor so that the seat hits it first.

For two compressors I ran 4 wires from the battery to the compressors' location. I was lucky to find a hole in the floor of the Jeep underneath the carpet in almost a perfect spot right next to one of the bolts that holds the outside front leg of the passenger side back seat. The hole was plugged with a rubber stopper which I popped out and drilled holes for the wires to pass thru. Of course, the ARB wiring harness is too short so I spliced it to a 12' piece of #6 wire from Home Depot. I decided to wire the ARB switch directly to the battery instead of to the ignition as ARB recommends so that 1) I can use the compressor with the engine off and 2) so I didn't have to run yet another wire. The switch is glued to the plywood near the back out of the way but still easy to reach.

I doubt I'll ever need to fold the seats completely down but if I do, I can remove the compressors easily by removing the two seat bolts and undoing the electrical connector.

Now all I need is to get my 37s on the Jeep and hit the trails...

JTCO

Meme King
For reasons that I'm not sure I can fully justify, I've installed TWO ARB Twin compressors in my new JLUR. Excuses: it gives me some redundancy in case one of them fails; it halves the time to fill 4 tires (my wife does two while I do the other two); it's just cool and I'm the first on my block!

As usual, the installation was more difficult than I expected. Mostly due to my fumble fingers and my bad back.

Each compressor is mounted under the rear seat to a small piece of 1/4" plywood with the ARB hardware which in turn is sandwiched between the seat legs and the floor using the stock bolts. I used plywood instead of metal because I wanted some thermal insulation (those compressors get really hot!) and because I'm no good at metal working :) When the seats are folded they hit the compressors and stop about 1/2 way down. I didn't like that it was pressing on the output coupling so I glued a small piece of wood on top of the compressor so that the seat hits it first.

For two compressors I ran 4 wires from the battery to the compressors' location. I was lucky to find a hole in the floor of the Jeep underneath the carpet in almost a perfect spot right next to one of the bolts that holds the outside front leg of the passenger side back seat. The hole was plugged with a rubber stopper which I popped out and drilled holes for the wires to pass thru. Of course, the ARB wiring harness is too short so I spliced it to a 12' piece of #6 wire from Home Depot. I decided to wire the ARB switch directly to the battery instead of to the ignition as ARB recommends so that 1) I can use the compressor with the engine off and 2) so I didn't have to run yet another wire. The switch is glued to the plywood near the back out of the way but still easy to reach.

I doubt I'll ever need to fold the seats completely down but if I do, I can remove the compressors easily by removing the two seat bolts and undoing the electrical connector.

Now all I need is to get my 37s on the Jeep and hit the trails...

Well, that brings a new meaning to ARB Twin. But hey, it works. I doubt you'll ever have an issue with either of them. They're damn good compressors.

Strike Force Zebra

Supporting Advertiser
Well, you could have just installed an Air Command and air up AND down your tires! Then your wife could use the bathroom, get a drink or whatever she wanted while you air up. Oh, and it stops automatically! On second thought, you can hook both those ARB’s up to it!!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]🤣

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
Well, you could have just installed an Air Command and air up AND down your tires! Then your wife could use the bathroom, get a drink or whatever she wanted while you air up. Oh, and it stops automatically! On second thought, you can hook both those ARB’s up to it!!!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]🤣

No shit. What a complete waste of money for two twin compressors.

Devin

Can you send a link for the Air Command system

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

Or install 2 air commands. ARB Quad. That is some serious backup.

RMC2

Just saw it at Mountain off road , check this out .
I'm probably getting one for myself ...

https://www.mountainoffroad.com/jeep-jl/815572023674.html

This is starting to sound like a decent spot. I also like the tailgate idea. I finally looked under the front seats and there are ac ducts taking up that space.

On a side note, I can’t put my fire extinguisher on the door side of the drivers seat in the JL. That was my preferred spot on the jk.

JAGS

On a side note, I can’t put my fire extinguisher on the door side of the drivers seat in the JL. That was my preferred spot on the jk.

Way less clearance than the JK. I ran/run a small extinguisher on the driver’s side by the door in the JK. No way onthe JL. In fact, I don’t think there is even space for a flashlight there now.

Saddletramp

Soooo, better to go with a Powerplant with synthetic rope vs. aux compressor on a JL?

I know on the JK (s), I had an ARB for lockers under hood and as backup but had and got to appreciate the Powerplant as to not have to raise the hood (I know) but also to have really two options for air if needed as backup.

:idontknow::idontknow::idontknow:

Jforse

I picked this guy up and it seems to work well. Gets damn hot after airing up 4-33" tires though.

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0647.jpg
    IMG_0647.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 197