Tire Decision Help....KO2s vs Ridge Grapplers

NFRs2000NYC

So when the time comes and I get the JL, I am interested in getting 37" tires this time around. The KO2s, from everything I have read on the internets (bonjour) have been very positive, and it seems to be generally an extremely well regarded overall AT tire. The two negatives that I am aware of (have never used them) for me seem to be that they are a very small 37" tire (allegedly) and that their sidewall design is plain jane and not aggressive at all IMHO, and nothing like the aggressive look of a Duratrac or the Nitto/Cooper offerings (100% subjective and doesn't really have any effect on performance.) The pros however, seem to be that they wear like iron, ride beautifully, they are a light 37" tire (maybe because they are small?) are fairly tough, perform well in most conditions, and have been tried and true all over the world in all situations.

The Ridge Grappler is the new kid on the block, with very aggressive looking (badass) sidewalls, a bit closer to that 37" figure, and that's about all the info I can find on it. They seem to be heavy as hell (although I see conflicting weight figures posted on Nittos site vs DiscountTire or Tirerack), not sure about their ride, their life, etc.

So I guess my question to you guys is, have any of you had experience with either of these tires, what you think about them, and if it were your money, which direction would you go? Keep in mind, my JKUR and soon to be JLUR are my daily drivers, I live in NJ, and drive cross country for wheeling adventures, so I don't really want to go with a mud terrain tire, and in the 37" world, there aren't that many good offerings that meet my requirements. I currently ride on 315 duratracs, and love them (performance and looks) but a direct email from goodyear when I inquired about making a 37" tire stated that they consider anyone with a 37"+ tire a hardcore enthusiast, and for them, they make the MTR, so I must look elsewhere.

Thanks for any insight, opinions, comments, or even a light scolding. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The KO2 is a solid tire and one that I would probably recommend for someone with your needs. Great off road and in the snow/ice and like you said, they wear like iron. Personally, I think they have one of the better looking sidewall designs for an AT.

JTCO

Meme King
I've run several sets of the KO2s. Great tire. I believe about a year ago or more, they updated the sidewall to a more aggressive look, the KO3s.

IMG_20180220_170448_208.jpg

Check out theroadchoseme.com . That guy is running KO2's on a 2 year trip around Africa. I asked him what he thought of them and he said they've been outstanding, in everything from deep, thick mud, to sand. They've been wearing well for him and have been durable. His experience made me go with them in 35's on my JL. I haven't had them off road yet, but in rain, snow, ice, and dry pavement, they've been fantastic, so far. They are very quiet, too. They also weigh less than the Nittos.

NFRs2000NYC

Thanks guys. I do follow the road chose me guy, as well as many others, including the WOL crew obviously, and over time, you notice the tires people trust over and over. I am probable going to go with the 37" KO2....and eventhough it measures at 35.5" for a 37" tire, I think overall, it will be a terrific package.

Brute

I chose KO3's for a Bronco I'm building specifically for their performance in snow and rain...common conditions in the PNW...I think they are a solid tire choice

13_gecko_rubi

I've run several sets of the KO2s. Great tire. I believe about a year ago or more, they updated the sidewall to a more aggressive look, the KO3s.

View attachment 1093

Those are KO2s that they updated from the KO. The KM3 comes out very soon and is their new mud terrain.

They do run a tad smaller than many but like several folks have said, for how you described your use, they would be a great tire.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

I have run KOs for maybe 20 years. The tread lasts forever. I just missed the newer KO2 when I got my last two sets, truck and Jeep, in 2012. I traded the MTs on my new 13 Rubicon for the year old KOs from my 09 when I made the trade for the Jeep.

But I am considering a newer 35. My KOs are finally wearing out.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I have run KOs for maybe 20 years. The tread lasts forever. I just missed the newer KO2 when I got my last two sets, truck and Jeep, in 2012. I traded the MTs on my new 13 Rubicon for the year old KOs from my 09 when I made the trade for the Jeep.

But I am considering a newer 35. My KOs are finally wearing out.

Friend of mine had 100k on his KO’s on his lifted Explorer. I thought those things would never run out.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Friend of mine had 100k on his KO’s on his lifted Explorer. I thought those things would never run out.

Thats what everyone keeps saying, something about their interlocking design really distributes the wear very well. I'll give them a shot for one go around, and hopefully since they aren't the biggest 37s, the stock rubicon axles wont complain too much on the mid level offroading that I do, or to use your favorite world, overlanding lol. :p

happygil78

I put 35 KO2s on the wife's Jeep. She does normal off roading here in FL with trails and mud. It's also her daily driver. We have had zero issues out of them and we love them. When I get my JL, I will be going with the KO3s.20170805_170226.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

aug0211

I went for the Ridge Grapplers (35x12.5r17).

Considered the KO2s, especially the 315s in the C load. It’s tempting and without a doubt an excellent tire.

For me, I decided to give Nitto a shot because I like the appearance of them that much better. Good reason? Not the best...

I talked with my tire provider and their guarantee gives me essentially a 30 day no questions asked and no fees applied trial period where I can swap them out to go another route if they’re not what I am hoping for.

I don’t think you can go wrong with the KO2s, they’re incredible practical. I just wanted a more aggressive sidewall pattern, at the end of the day.

NFRs2000NYC

My issue with the ridge grapplers is that they seem insanely heavy, considerably heavier than the KO2s and most tires in an equal size.

JL Jeeper

Light, Long Lasting, Agressive. You can chose 2 of 3 but don’t expect all 3 in one tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rubiconchris

Check out theroadchoseme.com . That guy is running KO2's on a 2 year trip around Africa. I asked him what he thought of them and he said they've been outstanding, in everything from deep, thick mud, to sand. They've been wearing well for him and have been durable. His experience made me go with them in 35's on my JL. I haven't had them off road yet, but in rain, snow, ice, and dry pavement, they've been fantastic, so far. They are very quiet, too. They also weigh less than the Nittos.
Have any pics handy on the 35 inch ko's? I was thinking of putting them on my 2 door with the mopar 2 inch lift.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app