JL Wrangler Rubicon Fender Gaps Filling Up with Rocks

JAGS

Being that I used to do a lot of work on the 20s and 30s automobiles, the old timers new what they were doing to avoid rust. They installed fender welting for just this reason. I may play with this when my JLUR comes in. Black May look good on the white painted fenders or just the white welting to blend end. I attached a link to a supplier:beer:

https://www.bobdrake.com/fenderwelting

Didn't even know something like this existed.

Something like this is what I was thinking about trying. Thanks for posting up the link :yup:

Seems like it might work. Not sure how it will look. But there are the samples for $6. I'll let you try and post up, then steal the idea of it works. [emoji6]

Jeeeep

wow..so those fenders seem to have a lot more flex/sway than the JK at speed allowing the gap to open? :thinking:

LARSONEM

I can’t say that I’ve ever had problems with my JK with small stones imbedded in the fender flair and body seam. But I regularly pick up stones between the stock Rubicon rock rails and the body that I pick out with a small screwdriver or pocket knife.

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
That's a bummer. And I ordered painted fenders too. Same thing happens on the JK, but less worried as I don't have paint fenders.

I'll want to address this before too much trail time. Thanks for posting up your findings from the weekend. [emoji106]

This is totally different. I’ve never seen this on the Jk like I did on the JL.

Not only that, they get wedged in there deep too.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JAGS

This is totally different. I’ve never seen this on the Jk like I did on the JL.

Not only that, they get wedged in there deep too.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Good to know. Just read eddies others post too about the gap being bigger. I'd be pissed to have a rock wedged in there and ruin the paint.

I'll be addressing soon as hopefully Eddie will give it a go first.

Last edited:

frenchjk

you could shove some white (or any other color) plastic piping or a "t" strip in there it would seal it and not be as permanent as silcone....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A good fender skirt gasket like on a 55-57 chevy or ford truck might fix that.

Eckler's Premier Quality Products 57130740 Chevy Fender Skirt Gaskets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZT4EGX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_J2qJAbHMDSMMB

Thanks for the link! I was hoping to install something like this. :yup:

you could shove some white (or any other color) plastic piping or a "t" strip in there it would seal it and not be as permanent as silcone....

I think JeepFan is planning to run a small vacuum hose along the gap to seal it off.

dbungard

drove my new JLU Rubi home yesterday -- we live on a gravel road, and yep, first thing I saw when I got out was rocks trapped between the flares and body. Problem for sure.

I always add removable mud flaps on the front which helps for daily life, and just remove them when I need to. I used plastic wing nuts to do that on my JKU. Hopefully something similar works on the JLU.

I also hope somebody quickly comes out with the plastic door hinge protectors that Bestop had for JK's, as they still stick out and will be eaten up by rocks. Worst case I'll Plastic-Dip spray them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, the hinges are way exposed and ours already has a few good size chips in them. Just comes with the territory of driving a way cool vehicle that can have the doors removed. We're just kind of used to it I guess.

YAHAHA

As soon as we get our Jeep coated, we're going to run a bead of RTV to seal off all of these pesky areas.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.