JL Wrangler Runny Rear Window Sprayer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ever since we bought our brand new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Cindy and I noticed that the rear window on our hard top always seemed to have a dribble coming from the sprayer. No matter how many times we tried to clean it up and regardless if we used the sprayer or not, it just kept dribbling like a kid with a cold and a runny nose. Of course, we just assumed this was a problem we were having but over the weekend, we meet up with our good friends Tony and Steph who have a near identical JL and all the way down to the runny rear window sprayer. Here's a shot of what our rear window to show you what I'm talking about.
20180220110555-bd1b4f51.jpg

Now, this is a shot of Tony and Steph's JL Wrangler parked next to ours just so that you can see these that BOTH have the same runny rear window sprayers.
20180220110602-b053f3fc.jpg

Anyone else out there with a JL and a hard top have this problem?

rcincorporated

Ever since we bought our brand new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Cindy and I noticed that the rear window on our hard top always seemed to have a dribble coming from the sprayer. No matter how many times we tried to clean it up and regardless if we used the sprayer or not, it just kept dribbling like a kid with a cold and a runny nose. Of course, we just assumed this was a problem we were having but over the weekend, we meet up with our good friends Tony and Steph who have a near identical JL and all the way down to the runny rear window sprayer. Here's a shot of what our rear window to show you what I'm talking about.

Now, this is a shot of Tony and Steph's JL Wrangler parked next to ours just so that you can see these that BOTH have the same runny rear window sprayers.

Anyone else out there with a JL and a hard top have this problem?

I have a JL w/ hard top. It hasn’t ran a bit. Just spent the weekend up in Snowshoe, WV and used it a lot because of all the snow/salt. No issues.

BTW...just got my decals in....THANKS!!

Attachments

• 7BDA1022-7584-4C38-B7E3-1D6D50F9E751.jpg
    7BDA1022-7584-4C38-B7E3-1D6D50F9E751.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 394
No issue with the rear washer dripping on mine. I'm guessing they got a bad batch of nozzles.

I don't really know how these things work. Does the pump maintain a slight pressure? If so, maybe it is overpressuring, or the nozzle can't hold it back?

Does it drip more when you accelerate?

PaulNY

Mine isn't dripping either. Of course, I just got it today so will monitor closely. Thanks for the heads up and hopefully it's a quick fix.

RMC2

I didn't see it on the rubi I test drove or any of the few on the lot yesterday, but I could have missed it.

LARSONEM

Stupid question. Is the washer solvent canister full? Most rear window washers systems don’t put out any fluid to the rear window if they are below a certain level to conserve washer fluid for the windshield.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
it's brand new, you've taken it off road, fast on the dirt... you're scaring the piss out of it! lol

:cheesy:

Stupid question. Is the washer solvent canister full? Most rear window washers systems don’t put out any fluid to the rear window if they are below a certain level to conserve washer fluid for the windshield.

That is a thought. I tried using the sprayer quite a bit yesterday in the hopes of lowering the level or at the very least, getting the check valve to work. We'll see if that helps.

Absoluteric

I noticed this the first week I got it. I’ve washed mine about 3 times since then and have not seen the problem come back. I will monitor it if it happens again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed this the first week I got it. I’ve washed mine about 3 times since then and have not seen the problem come back. I will monitor it if it happens again.

Please do. So far, I haven't noticed it come back after using my washer a lot too.

desertbuzz

Try installing a small plastic 1 way valve ... You know, like the ones they had on XJ vacuum hoses.
Should work.
B1054380214.jpg

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Had to be something clogging it allowing it to allow fluid to come out. Maybe just some constant use for the time being will clear it out

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Might get one of these to see if it helps.

SWF Washer Check Valve: Link: http://a.co/9mjM6Ma

Genuine 30896546 Windshield Washer Check Valve: Link: http://a.co/aAhSjtu

Or I might just install a small ball bearing into the hose. :D

Is yours still dribbling? I tried using my washer a few times on the way home and it seems to be better for now. Haven't had a chance to really drive around since getting home though.

Walter

Since first post, I've been watching mine. No leak. But you're in an environment with higher dust content. In regards to the "pressure" suggestion, in hydraulic automaton, there will be zero pressure maintained by a vent. Now back to the dust theory. Is it possible that 1 drip runs down from your vent and dust immediately accumulates following the single drip? Test that theory. Allow one drop to run and wipe it clean and see if a second or more follow behind the first.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JeepFan

Is yours still dribbling? I tried using my washer a few times on the way home and it seems to be better for now. Haven't had a chance to really drive around since getting home though.
Just checked it and found it is still leaking. I'll probably just disconnect the hose and reconnect it to the handy plug.

JTCO

Meme King
Just checked it and found it is still leaking. I'll probably just disconnect the hose and reconnect it to the handy plug.

Anxious to see how you troubleshoot this. I almost wonder if it's a check ball near the washer pump rather than a leaky jet itself. It's crazy that both you and Eddie have this issue while others don't. We have food/drink issues like that up here that leak because of altitude gains in our hills, but I wouldn't think you guys would down there :idontknow:

JeepFan

Anxious to see how you troubleshoot this. I almost wonder if it's a check ball near the washer pump rather than a leaky jet itself. It's crazy that both you and Eddie have this issue while others don't. We have food/drink issues like that up here that leak because of altitude gains in our hills, but I wouldn't think you guys would down there :idontknow:
I'll take a closer look at it this weekend. Also planning to change the oil and filter, check the air filter, and experiment with fenders collecting pebbles. Stay tuned...

Maui-1

I know this might be something you've already tried but what about checking the plug in the back of the jeep? Say if you were to remove the top, theres the plug for the windshield wiper and fluid hose. It might not be connected all the way. If air is allowed to get in, the fluid will just dribble out especially with a little help from bumps off road. I still haven't gotten my jeep back to check. Hope this helps!