JL comes with pre-wired for CB radio

Thinknator

I heard of this rumor but not sure if it's true. Can anyone confirm of this and where's the wiring and mounting point located at?

JTCO

Meme King
First I've heard of it. But maybe you're referring to the switches that are pre-wired if you wish to add a CB radio. Some JLs come pre-wired with switches so you can easily add aftermarket accessories into those :idontknow:

Untitled.jpg

Thinknator

Yeah, I was looking into that. My JLU didnt come with those aux switches but I dont want to waste a switch just for a CB.

JAGS

Mine plugs into the cig lighter. I think all JLs will come with that. [emoji848][emoji23]

Thinknator

I was hoping to go for that clean flush look without wires hanging out.

By the way, can anyone recommend of a slim yet decent CB? The old Cobra I had on my JK was just too big.

IMG_7993.jpg

JTCO

Meme King
Mine plugs into the cig lighter. I think all JLs will come with that. [emoji848][emoji23]

I was hoping to go for that clean flush look without wires hanging out.

By the way, can anyone recommend of a slim yet decent CB? The old Cobra I had on my JK was just too big.

I thinks JAGS and I have the same one. Midland 75-822 handheld but yes it plugs into a 12v port. My wife and I have this one in both of our Jeeps and have been very happy with it. Biggest 'pro' is that it isn't bulky. The antenna that comes with it works poorly IMO, but if you connect it to an external antenna with coax, it works great.

Midland_75_-2_1024x1024.jpg

JAGS

I thinks JAGS and I have the same one. Midland 75-822 handheld but yes it plugs into a 12v port. My wife and I have this one in both of our Jeeps and have been very happy with it. Biggest 'pro' is that it isn't bulky. The antenna that comes with it works poorly IMO, but if you connect it to an external antenna with coax, it works great.

View attachment 1076

Yup, same one. Have had it for five years and love it. Can easily take it out of the Jeep when not in use. Or keep it Stowe's in the co sole/glove box.

I have mine connecting to coax with decently tuned firestik antenna off the tailgate.

Never used it with the supplies stubby antenna. I figure that would be good as a spotter handheld/walkie talkie unit.

I'll be getting the same set up for the JL.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I too have a Midland 75 as well and typically carry it with me as a back-up for someone who doesn't have a CB. It's a good CB and I'll most likely be using it in our JL until we can find a better solution.

Thinknator

I too have a Midland 75 as well and typically carry it with me as a back-up for someone who doesn't have a CB. It's a good CB and I'll most likely be using it in our JL until we can find a better solution.

Thanks! Ordering it right now on Amazon.

JTCO

Meme King
Thanks! Ordering it right now on Amazon.

Nice! I think you'll find it to be a good solution. You can make the install as clean or messy as you want. Mine stays plugged in all the time, but if you disconnect it, you can just leave the coax cable wherever. I even made a metal clip on my dash to hang it on. When I'm off road, I don't have to mess around with picking it up, I just push the button and it works fine.

0220181114.jpg

0220181115.jpg

Thinknator

Nice! I think you'll find it to be a good solution. You can make the install as clean or messy as you want. Mine stays plugged in all the time, but if you disconnect it, you can just leave the coax cable wherever. I even made a metal clip on my dash to hang it on. When I'm off road, I don't have to mess around with picking it up, I just push the button and it works fine.

View attachment 1078

View attachment 1079

Nice! Do you use firestick as your antenna? If so, how high over the top of your Jeep do you go?

NFRs2000NYC

According to gecko (our resident Jeep informant), the interior has a 6 clipped wires, 4 of them are for the AUX switches, one is a 12V ACC and the other a 12V constant. You can wire the CB to the either of the 12V extras.

JTCO

Meme King
Nice! Do you use firestick as your antenna? If so, how high over the top of your Jeep do you go?

I went with a cheap magnetic one on my WJ (pic below). My wife has the Mopar one, similar to a fire stick and it sticks up about a foot or so above the roof (pic below). I don't really know jack shit about proper antenna height and stuff like that, but they both seem to work ok.

0808161945.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg