JL Wrangler Rear Bumper Droop - Anyone Else Have This?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After loading up our JL with an ARB Fridge Freezer, tools and recovery gear and more and all in preparation for our very first off road adventure, Cindy and I stood back and noticed that we had a lean. Of course, a gangsta lean to the passenger side has always a common sight to see on a JK due to the location of the gas tank but our lean was to the driver side. Or, so we thought anyway. After moved things around to see if it'd make a difference, we realized that what we were seeing wasn't so much a lean but rather, our rear bumper was drooping just a bit. To be exact, the driver side of the bumper was hanging down by as much as a 1/4" lower than the passenger side - not enough to really be noticeable but enough to really bug me now that I KNOW it's there. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to see if I could loosen things up and see if it could be adjusted but it is on my to do list.

I know it can be hard to see but if you look at the base of the tailgate and compare it to the top of the bumper, you can see that there is a difference in height. I went back and looked at our day 1 pics and noticed you could see it then too.
20180205131105-798d893f.jpg

Measuring the gap between the top of the driver side rear bumper and the base of the fender, you can see there's about a 1" gap.
20180215193757-ba4eb2f4.jpg

On the passenger side, the gap is only 3/4".
20180215193759-02e62391.jpg

Again, down at the body line to the top of the bumper, you can see there's just about a 3/4" gap on the driver side.
20180215193750-97be89fa.jpg

And, on the passenger side, it's only about 1/2" or just a hair more.
20180215193752-e25a5119.jpg

Anyway, the main purpose for me starting this thread was to see if anyone else has this rear bumper droop. I'd be grateful if you could please give your JL a look and let me know. :yup:

JAGS

Is it there when you are not loaded up? Or is it a weight distribution thing? I can see it for sure, even in the first pic.

I wonder if it is just the bumper and if you were to measure from the fender to ground how those measurements would be?

Side note, as much as I love having a soft top, I do miss the extra spot for decals on the rear glass. That new wayalife looks great back there. [emoji106][emoji41]

JTCO

Meme King
You definitely don't need the negativity of that uneven bumper. You should just give the Jeep to me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it there when you are not loaded up? Or is it a weight distribution thing? I can see it for sure, even in the first pic.

I wonder if it is just the bumper and if you were to measure from the fender to ground how those measurements would be?

Side note, as much as I love having a soft top, I do miss the extra spot for decals on the rear glass. That new wayalife looks great back there. [emoji106][emoji41]

It's there even when completely unloaded.

Jasper

Just checked mine too, its lower on driver side as well, not as much as yours but lower non the less.

Honestly, I am not going to look for that. I don't think mine does it, but I'm not going looking for it, either. I've stared at my JL from the rear many times and it looks perfect, so I'm going to leave it be.

JTCO

Meme King
Honestly, I am not going to look for that. I don't think mine does it, but I'm not going looking for it, either. I've stared at my JL from the rear many times and it looks perfect, so I'm going to leave it be.

I love staring at rear ends for long periods of time.

dbungard

ours are pretty even, 1" gap on driver side, 7/8" on passenger. That's a lot of tolerance stack up from plastic parts -- expect they'll be some variation there for sure